NHL'94 Forums

Losing to the computer?

baron#1

Personally, i cant remember the last time i lost to the computer. However, i dont remember ever using Florida as a team either. Today my anonymous friend told me he lost 4-2 to the Rangers as Florida. Does this happen to anyone out there? Or should i disgrace him every time i talk to him? And is "I was playing with FLORIDA!" a worthy excuse?

Let's hear it

I have no shame in saying that once in a bluemoon I will lose to the computer. Most guys I talk to think this is unheard of, but maybe it's certain cartridges or something. I've played the game uncountable times and will rarely lose to the computer. (This is the Genesis version.)

99.9% of the time it's no challenge but every so often you get that tough game and you know what... that's another plus for the game in my opinion.

I do enjoy close games with the computer. Personally, whenever i play the computer i only try for hard goals. You know, like one timers, or a slap shot comming across the crease from a distance. In my opinion, its just to easy to beat the computer if you do a nice deek every breakaway, or do a wrap around. While playing like this does produce much closer games for myself against the comp, i (like Mr. Baron) can't remember loosing to the computer. I hope your anonymous friend stays undercover, as it will be a sad day for him when the public finds out who he really is.

Forever hold your head in shame anonymous loser.........

I was losing to the computer when I first started playing the game and he would be trash talking me during the game.

I'd hit the post and he'd say things like 'that's all you had to shoot at' or 'the sweet sound of no goal'....'not cool' I said.

I've thrashed him ever since.

Although this is rare, losing to the computer is always a possibility.

Maybe that anonymous loser was distracted by his MSN Messenger conversations, or maybe we was surfing eBay perhaps.

In any case, it has happened to us all, and let's pray for this unfortunate loser, as anonymous as he is, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Amen.

Just an update on the beginnings of this thread. The "Anonymous Loser" won the rematch against the Rangers (he was Florida) 10-2. However, there was no witness, and no one knows if 90% of the ginos were scored via the wrap around, although we might infer (the correctness of the wrap around being discussed in a previous thread). Good for the newly formed "Anonymous Winner", and good luck in the future.

Post script, try and figure out that deflection button.

Now that this anonymous loser has become and anonymous winner, will he come forth and identify who he really is. I am of course assuming he is a current member of nhl94.com. Maybe he can tell us what really happend that bleek evening in which he suffered a humiliating loss to the computer. Please don't be embarrased anonymous loser/winner, whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.......makes you a stronger person that is, not a better chel player, although it seems like you need to become a better chel player.

Although this anonymous loser has now been crowned the "anonymous winner", I don't think he will emerge from the shadows. He seems relatively happy maintaining a low profile despite his new found success.

I would venture to suggest that because the player in question went so far as to admit defeat to a extraordinarily lucky computer, that his victory was not filled with wrap arounds, but with wonderful tic-tac-toe passing plays and magnificent triple dekes. Anywho, no need to continue complimenting the anonymous winner, whoever he may be.

In the meantime, I will consider this anonymous loser, turned anonymous winner after perservering through many hard battles, as nothing but a true hero.

God bless you anonymous winner, wherever you are!

I just recently started playing again for the first time in over five years after hearing of the NHL 2007 update.

In my first playoffs as Ottawa I won the Cup, but took a total of five losses to the AI in the playoffs. Chalk up this shameful amount of losses to rust. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Like Sunnydale, I just started playing again after a long time after I heard about the 2007 update.

I have dropped a couple of games in the playoffs and the losses usually come in a game where you know everything is going to go the computer's way right from the first :10 of the game.

A once in a lifetime loss to the computer is borderline acceptable.

However, it appears that both SunnydaleSpike and Wheatking have surpassed this one time allowance. Significantly.

This is an unforgivable sin in the worl of NHL 94. Of course, this rule does not apply to our good friend Hornet who use the infamous "deflection button" to score, not to mention this screen and hit methods, respectively. Such methods, and by extension, the players that play with these methods are exempt from losing to the computer.

Carry on.

I think that if somebody looses to computer, he can't calll himself a player. I played recently with only one hand, I was new jersey, against computer(boston) . I won 7-1. I usually never play against the machine, so i decided to give it a chanse. With one hand 7-1.. Merry Christmas to everybody.

• 7 months later...
I think that if somebody looses to computer, he can't calll himself a player. I played recently with only one hand, I was new jersey, against computer(boston) . I won 7-1. I usually never play against the machine, so i decided to give it a chanse. With one hand 7-1.. Merry Christmas to everybody.

Whoa whoa whoa, back it up. "I played recently with only one hand"? Am i reading that right? You must be playing on a keyboard or on some sort of contraption that would allow Alvin Law himself to play chel. I personlly don't see it possible to hold an actual controller, direct a player and use the pass/shoot etc buttons with the use of only one limb. If however this is possbile, may you show yourself and forever become a legend in my mind.

Here's to hoping you're not a fradulent imposter.

Playing with one hand could be as easy as controlling direction with the D-pad and pass/shoot with L1/L2, but I doubt that was what he did :P

On topic though: I lose to the cpu once in awhile, the Snes ai can get insane games from time to time. I never go for those "cheap" goals against the cpu though if that can be called an excuse. According to my season stats I haven't got a loss in ~120 games (not really sure which I have played though, I might have lost some of the games with the poor teams, though I "sim" most of those games). Maybe I lose 1 per 100 games or so.

I remember once, a player on the cpu team scored a hat trick, when I was playing with Detroit, at that point I was down 0-3 :( I was like, wtf... Seriously nothing worked! :P I got so mad I shut down the game... lol.

Apart from that time I get some close games now and then, but that's just fun. Like I said, I try not to make any cheap goals. Maybe a few nice breakaway goals and fat one timers. Awesome goals ftw. Cross creasing @ cpu is just plain pointless imo.

it is possible to lose to the computer on a Genesis. it is not possible on a Super Nintendo.

have anybody here tried to score as many goals against compute as possible in 10 minute periods? Do u think that ove 60 goals would be possible to score..?

I have scored around 110 in 20 on SNES multiple times. pull the goalie so when they break it gets back to the faceoff center quickly (goal against). also, make sure the teams extra player isn't already on the ice or someone will go to the box (!?!). average one goal every thirty seconds and it can be done. I think my highest was 111, but it was at least that. I don't think I could come close on the Genesis. I should try, though.

I almost always lose to the computer ><

You and I both my friend. There's not too much shame in that. :bad_egg:

I lose to the computer more than just once in a while, but not all the time. I have the coordination to play well enough, but not enough play time to be up to the level of most of you here. Now if I lost as much in NHLPA 93... Then that would be just wrong, since I played that game to death when I was younger. XD

Oh, and yes, I do know I've been gone for quite a while. My life got rather dramatic and busy, so I really didn't have time to go here. That and I haven't been as into the NHL games as I could be lately, I've been spending my time on other games recently. (I know, most of you will be angry to hear that I've been more into playing something like The Sims 2 over playing NHL 94 lately)

• 3 months later...

I've been playing '94 on and off again throughout the years, so if I pick up the game for the first time in a while there's always a chance - albeit a rare one - that the CPU will pull a fast one on me. I think it was about a year and a half ago I was playing the sega CD which I hadn't played in ages and lost 2 games (one was a crusher in OT) in a best of 7 playoff against the Penguins as the Rangers. It depends on your talent level and how much experience you've had playing recently, as well as if you put certain scoring techniques off limits.

I was once an avid player of the game back in the day and I just started playing again about a month ago. So I guess it goes without saying I have my fair share of losses to the CPU. However, if I'm using an elite team (Chicago, ect), then it doesn't happen that often. I usually use a lower-tier team like the Islanders and have a tough time winning consistantly, but it helps me improve my skills.

I hope one day I do become good enough that losing to the cpu is a rarity. At the same time, I don't ever want to get to the point where I'd want to "kill myself" for letting the cpu beat me. That keeps the game interesting when you can't get an on-line game.

I always beat the computer, but I have to admit that sometimes it is only by 1 or 2 goals.

The computer is easy to crush during my first game against it, but I have a harder time after that. The computer is boring and its playing style is so BLAND. If I play more than one consecutive game against it, my mind loses all the sharpness it had and I usually only pull off something like a 3-1 win.