NHL'94 Forums

EA Suggestion

Evan

I was thinking a little today after hearing that EA's stock went down $8 and they're not doing too hot right now. They're certainly not getting anywhere with these new NHL games they keep putting out every year.

What could it take for them to take the gameplay of the 93-94 games and update the teams, rosters, some graphics, and just "update" the game. They could leave the lower quality graphics, but keep one-timers, fighting, etc and I swear that game would be a HUGE part of the video game history.

I need you guys to brainstorm some ideas on how we could explain what kind of turnaround this could be for them, and how awesome it would be for all of us videogame hockey lovers.

That game would be so popular. Just think about it. There's great gameplay, and adding in new features like editing teams, players, colors etc (the stuff we like to do) into that game along with other modern features like recording a game, online play, records for players and team stats. (if this game was online, it could be a benefit for it to be lower quality graphics) I could probably layout the organization of the game!

Anyway, what are some thoughts about this guys?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking a little today after hearing that EA's stock went down $8 and they're not doing too hot right now.  They're certainly not getting anywhere with these new NHL games they keep putting out every year.

What could it take for them to take the gameplay of the 93-94 games and update the teams, rosters, some graphics, and just "update" the game.  They could leave the lower quality graphics, but keep one-timers, fighting, etc and I swear that game would be a HUGE part of the video game history.

I need you guys to brainstorm some ideas on how we could explain what kind of turnaround this could be for them, and how awesome it would be for all of us videogame hockey lovers.

That game would be so popular.  Just think about it.  There's great gameplay, and adding in new features like editing teams, players, colors etc (the stuff we like to do) into that game along with other modern features like recording a game, online play, records for players and team stats. (if this game was online, it could be a benefit for it to be lower quality graphics)  I could probably layout the organization of the game!

Anyway, what are some thoughts about this guys?

I think that would be awesome.... I am all for it! How do we get in touch with them??

For the past couple years, I have been a moderator on board devoted to EA's NCAA Football series. This is a site that was founded by and populated by rabid fans of the NCAA games. Our board admins (past and present) have worked for the past three years to get an "in" with EA's development team by presenting them with "wish lists", suggestions, etc. The farthest we have gotten is that they sent one admin a copy of Madden two weeks before release last year (big deal).

What I am trying to say is I think its a huge uphill battle. I don't believe that EA really doesn't care what their fans want, from what I have seen. They only care what their marketing department thinks will sell. They probably view those of us that play '94 still as a group of dinosaurs who cannot possible make a stand alone version of updated '94 worth the costs of development. Also, they released the collector's edition of Madden last year on PS2 with some of the classic Genesis versions (they were not online capable) for the Madden 10-year anniversary. Since this time has already passed on the NHL series, I doubt they really have any plans to do likewise for NHL.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, because I think its a great idea. I just don't think anyone at EA will listen.

Of course EA isn't going to listen to that idea, and it's a shame. I work in the videogame field (we do animation for Rockstar games), there's a small possibility that I could get in touch with someone at EA. Our sales guy knows some people there, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that getting anywhere.

The more likely (but not that likely) scenerio is that we get the rights to the older games' source code, and with the help of some programmers, update the game.

Does anyone know of programmers that would want to be in on this project if it were possible? Or even programmers that could enlighten us to the situation we are currently in?

Taking NHL92, NHL93, and NHL94... taking the better qualities of each game, and putting them into one game that would also include some extra features. These are some of the features that would have to be in the game:

01 - online play incorporated into the actual game (with user records online and such)

02 - season mode (the ability for custom length seasons and team numbers)

03 - the ability to edit any player, team name, colors, jerseys, ice logos, etc.

04 - the ability to create players, trade players, have a free agent pool, etc.

05 - more stats tracked

06 - injuries to be more descriptive

07 - fighting (of course)

08 - ability to edit the audio in the game

There's plenty more but that's just to get an idea.

We have the ability to view the .bin file in assembly language and in hex. Maybe having access to the source code would be our key to completely editing this game to perfection. For us to continuously find ways to edit the NHL94 bin file seems endless, and very time consuming. I feel this community can work together to get this game to the point of what we want. I will be getting my ideas and thoughts together on this subject to begin pursuing it.

Through solution77 on this forum, we have Mark Lesser's address. My cousin and I will make a serious attempt to call him and see if he's interested in helping us if he could.

Mark B Lesser

Surry, ME

(207) 667-0377

Please continue the ideas and thoughts on this.. it may sound ridiculous, but I feel it can be done.

-Evan

I think basicly it comes down to what people are going to spend $$ on. Yes a lot of people out there don't really know what a real hockey game should have in it cause they have never actually played hockey in real life.

I say, make a new hockey game for PC or whatever that plays pretty much like NHL '94 and I will buy it, my friends will buy it and anyone they know will buy it. Bottom line is always $$.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update you guys with the EA thing. So it turns out that the sales guy where I work is going to be meeting up with the Vice President of EA in a couple of weeks.

I will be putting together some stuff for him to consider and read regarding making a "new version" of NHL94, or being able to obtain the rights/source code to the game. I'm referring to this as a "proposal" for EA. I'm going to be explaining how the older games (mostly nhl93-nhl94) had a great thing going and creating a new version of this game would be extremely successfull in many ways.

Anyway, what I'm asking from you guys is to reply with any ideas/suggestions for EA and this "new version" of the game. I'm not expecting anything out of this, but it's worth trying. I'll need these ideas/suggestions by the first week in April because I have to have this ready by April 7th.

I know this sounds like it could be a waste of time, but you have to try to make things happen. EA isn't doing good so at least I know he will read what we give him. Thanks for helping out!

-Evan

what I'm asking from you guys is to reply with any ideas/suggestions for EA and this "new version" of the game.  I'm not expecting anything out of this, but it's worth trying.  I'll need these ideas/suggestions by the first week in April because I have to have this ready by April 7th.

-Evan

I have always thought a few things would improve the gameplay

1. Pressing A on defense would let you lay down to block a shot (similar to NHL 95).

2. If there is traffic in front of the net, I would like to shoot a soft shot and have the ability to redirect it with someone in front of the net - like a one timer (either with a computer controlled player or manually)

3. I wish you could intentionally screen the goalie. Even though you might be able to see the shot and control the goalie to stop it, I would like it if the goalie sometimes never sees a shot if he was well screened. It would add another demension to the game and another reason to take the goalie (perhaps you could press and hold one of the unused buttons on the 6 button controller to be able to sidestep and stay in that little area in front of the goalie with much better control).

4. On defense while near the boards, press and hold C or one of the unused buttons on a 6 button controller to harass the person. Basically just pinning the person to the boards and sticking on them like glue unless they put a hell of a move on you to get away. It would force someone to pass it in that situation and not just use a superstar that is hard to bring down. It would be similar to holding with the A button but more about pinning the other person to the boards without knocking them down.

Im sure I can add to this but thats it for now

I would just simply say that the gameplay in 94 is pretty much perfect except that the AI needs to be improved just a tad.

The goalies need to be better as well. Most of the games AI problems are solved when you play head to head with another human but it would be nice to have better AI for when your friends don't want to play anymore at 3am in the morning...

So, big things for me are new games are all 3D and real time and whatever but the camera angle in 94 is the best around, you can always tell where your players are and even if that means making the ice surface just a bit smaller, who cares?

I would pay $60 bucks for a game for PC or some console that played exactly like 94 but I was able to have all the menu options of any new hockey game.

The fact of the matter is, I don't play any other hockey game other then NHL 94 and NHL HITZ PRO so EA really needs to take a good look and stop packing in stupid things like blood and players heads falling off because after awhile, that stuff gets annoying.

I think whats so good about 94, is its so simple to play. I think it would be a bad thing to make it complicated like these newer versions where the computer does everything for you. I think the gameplay should have the same simple buttons and moves Hooking, shooting, checking, passing, and maybe even lying down to block the shot; But keep it simple, otherwise ur taking away from the gameplayers Creativity and Imagination.

Ps. Fighting after the whistle is a necessity for the new game.

Oh yeh and you can call it NHL 94 Resurrected. "The Legend has Risen"

I think whats so good about 94, is its so simple to play.  I think it would be a bad thing to make it complicated like these newer versions where the computer does everything for you.  I think the gameplay should have the same  simple buttons and moves Hooking, shooting, checking, passing, and maybe even lying down to block the shot;  But keep it simple, otherwise ur taking away from the gameplayers Creativity and Imagination.

Ps.  Fighting after the whistle is a necessity for the new game.

Oh yeh and you can call it NHL 94 Resurrected.  "The Legend has Risen"

I agree that the gameplay is fine. I think it should stay 100% the same. But options-wise I want the whole kitten kaboodle. Editing/trading/creating players is a must & I would die for a franchise mode. I love building up guys' stats, signing free agents & drafting rookies. I wouldn't even care if they basically ported the NHL 2005 financial system in just to get this option.

The ultimate EA hockey game would include aspects from 92, 93, 94, 95, and 96.

Here goes:

Elements to take from 92: From this game, take the high amount of fighting. This really made the game fun especially if you were getting blown out.

Elements to take from 93: Take the gameplay from this game, it's the best in the series. Better than 94 even. Take the blood, and take the "ability to move" when you fight option. Also take the graphics in this game, they are slightly sharper and better than the other versions. Take Ron Barrs commentary as well. And take the game intro music(damn thats a catchy tune, lol).

Elements to take from 94: The one-timers, goalie control, organ music, and added animations would all have to be taken from this game. Take the team logos and team names as well.

Elements to take from 95: Take NOTHING. A piece of crap.

Elements to take from 96: Take the "block shot" feature, put it on the A button (replace the useless "flip puck" motion from 94). Take the fake shot option. Take the Regular Season Mode option.

Combine that and you have the ultimate hockey experience. The only tinkering I'd do with the graphics is to mabye try and add some team logos on the jerseys themselves and make the ice white. Thats it.

I would just simply say that the gameplay in 94 is pretty much perfect except that the AI needs to be improved just a tad.

Well 93's gameplay is actually a little bit better but 94 has more features. AI's offense has to get a whole lot better.

The goalies need to be better as well.  Most of the games AI problems are solved when you play head to head with another human but it would be nice to have better AI for when your friends don't want to play anymore at 3am in the morning...

Yes and no. The goalies need to be WORSE at handling the puck, and BETTER at wrap around shots. 93's goalies didnt lay down like beeeotches like they do in 94 and more rebound chances came when you layed a shot down on 'em(in other words more fun). 93's goalies were a little too weak though thatd be the only change. Shooting the puck on net in 94 doesnt bounce off the goalie enough, and you end up with too many damn whistles and no rebounds.

So, big things for me are new games are all 3D and real time and whatever but the camera angle in 94 is the best around, you can always tell where your players are and even if that means making the ice surface just a bit smaller, who cares?

Yeah, theres no doubt the camera angles in 94 have got to stay the same. 3-D sucks big time, doesnt even feel like a game. More like a crappy George Lucas Star Wars prequel.

I would pay $60 bucks for a game for PC or some console that played exactly like 94 but I was able to have all the menu options of any new hockey game.

Youre not alone so would I but EA and their idiot sales staff like any big business, is short sighted and is too stupid to even "risk" or consider it.

The fact of the matter is, I don't play any other hockey game other then NHL 94 and NHL HITZ PRO so EA really needs to take a good look and stop packing in stupid things like blood and players heads falling off because after awhile, that stuff gets annoying.

EA went into the shitter with NHL 95. I think there are enough of us "old timer" hockey fans out there alone to make an updated release of 94 a worthwhile cause for EA, excluding the new generation gamers. Of course EA is now like the movie industry all special effects and no substance.

Another idea would be to do a genesis classics release of all games in that series on the Playstation or Xbox. EA classics: NHL 92-98 with an updated roster for each version of the game. Charge 19.95 without doing much to the gameplay other than adding a season, create a player, fighting and blood and you could play it online. Seems good enough to me. Other companies are doing it to.

These are all great suggestions... I'm taking notes from everyone's ideas and putting them all into consideration for the proposal to EA. I feel a great point that was brought up was the possibility to re-issue the game with the next release (nhl2k6?). A package deal with nhl2k6 and the "classic" hockey game having the lastest roster updates and some of the other features we've mentioned above.

That could be one option. The other options being reselling the game itself with all the updates/features we've mentioned and the last option being the possibility of getting the source code for the game.

As of right now, the first option seems most reasonable if I were EA since they've already done it with the madden series.

Keep the thoughts coming, and I will try to post the proposal document here sometime this week for comments.

-Evan

More ideas.....

1. A game option where you can play regular games either either standard, 4 on 4 or 3 on 3

2. Combine lots of great things from NBA jam, Baseball simulator 1000, and Arch Rivals and have a mode that lets you chose either a the regular simulation that is 94 as we know it, or have an arcade mode where people punch each other instead of cross check, or get on hot and cold streaks that dont last the entire game. It could have super saves if the goalie is hot, and regular players could have all their abilities increased or decreased by as much as 10 points. Their star could be bright if they were hot or barely colored at all if they were cold. It could also have a points system like baseball simulator 1000 that you use up during the game trying to go for super shots or super saves. It would be great to do a super save when the other team has a break away at the end of a game and you are only up by one.

3. The ability to have a brawl. Not just regular fighting, but entire teams fighting on the ice, including the goalies, especially during a physical game. Not too often though, maybe only as often as you break the glass.

More to come...

2. Combine lots of great things from NBA jam, Baseball simulator 1000, and Arch Rivals and have a mode that lets you chose either a the regular simulation that is 94 as we know it, or have an arcade mode where people punch each other instead of cross check, or get on hot and cold streaks that dont last the entire game.  It could have super saves if the goalie is hot, and regular players could have all their abilities increased or decreased by as much as 10 points.  Their star could be bright if they were hot or barely colored at all if they were cold.  It could also have a points system like baseball simulator 1000 that you use up during the game trying to go for super shots or super saves.  It would be great to do a super save when the other team has a break away at the end of a game and you are only up by one.

What you're describing isn't even NHL 94. What's the point of bringing back a classic game if you change it so much that it isn't recognizable?

2. Combine lots of great things from NBA jam, Baseball simulator 1000, and Arch Rivals and have a mode that lets you chose either a the regular simulation that is 94 as we know it, or have an arcade mode where people punch each other instead of cross check, or get on hot and cold streaks that dont last the entire game.  It could have super saves if the goalie is hot, and regular players could have all their abilities increased or decreased by as much as 10 points.  Their star could be bright if they were hot or barely colored at all if they were cold.  It could also have a points system like baseball simulator 1000 that you use up during the game trying to go for super shots or super saves.  It would be great to do a super save when the other team has a break away at the end of a game and you are only up by one.

What you're describing isn't even NHL 94. What's the point of bringing back a classic game if you change it so much that it isn't recognizable?

What I said was there could be 2 modes of play, one a simulation A.K.A. NHL 94, the other mode could be arcade cartoon mode that is like games that have lots of replay value even if they arent an acurate simulation, like Super Mario Kart.

Ideas are just that, ideas. I think of any way to improve the game and throw it out there, either you like it or you dont. Either way it makes you think one way or the other and isnt that what we want from this topic?

Come out with a poll and see what topics you can unanimously agree on. Only these topics should be considered.

Things like Fighting, Regular Seasons, Changing Uniforms and whatever.

Too many game modifications will ruin Classic NHLers interest in the game.

What I said was there could be 2 modes of play, one a simulation A.K.A. NHL 94, the other mode could be arcade cartoon mode that is like games that have lots of replay value even if they arent an acurate simulation, like Super Mario Kart. 

Ideas are just that, ideas.  I think of any way to improve the game and throw it out there, either you like it or you dont.  Either way it makes you think one way or the other and isnt that what we want from this topic?

It is, but I think it should also be a place for discussion of these topics. I have nothing wrong with someone bringing up any idea reguarding the remaking of NHL94, but I think we should be able to argue over these points here also. You are just as free to discuss my ideas. I suppose your idea wouldn't hurt as long as it is a seperate mode.

It is, but I think it should also be a place for discussion of these topics.  I have nothing wrong with someone bringing up any idea reguarding the remaking of NHL94, but I think we should be able to argue over these points here also.  You are just as free to discuss my ideas.  I suppose your idea wouldn't hurt as long as it is a seperate mode.

Gotcha. I know the odds of 90% of what I suggested actually happening are slim and none, its fun just to think of what ifs though. Its also good to add a poll to this if we can to see who among us would want anything suggested done.

Another quick suggestion for the game would be to add a radar gun feature to see how hard a shot was during the game. Would be neat to see when the PC goes into their score or die mode if they are shooting harder than usual.

I agree that keeping the game recognizable is key. Thats why, the suggestions I brought up, the only "changes" to NHL 94 would be positive "combination" aspects from the previous additions. Only graphics change Id make would be logos to the team uniforms.

3. The ability to have a brawl. Not just regular fighting, but entire teams fighting on the ice, including the goalies, especially during a physical game. Not too often though, maybe only as often as you break the glass.

The "brawl" idea is interesting, that would def be fun if they ever implemented that into the game.

Come out with a poll and see what topics you can unanimously agree on. Only these topics should be considered.

Things like Fighting, Regular Seasons, Changing Uniforms and whatever.

Too many game modifications will ruin Classic NHLers interest in the game.

A poll could be a good idea, though in the end, there's only a couple features everyone would agree on. (fighting and the ability to edit items in the game are probably the ones)

Here's the list of features I have so far, I've been making a master list from everyone's suggestions.

• Change player's "star" to "ring" (seems better on the eye) – the newer games use the “ring”

• Online play built into the game for all platforms chosen

• Complete season mode with the possibility to save seasons over time

• The ability to edit ANY team, the number of teams used in the league, players, team logos, ratings, jersey colors, ice color, period lengths, 4on4 vs. 5on5

• The ability to create a certain number of players (additional to the current number of players) to be signed by a team

• The ability to trade players, and have a free agent pool where players "sit" until they are signed by a team

• Tracking all modern hockey stats (Goals, Assists, Points, Penalty Minutes, Power Play Goals, Short Handed Goals, etc.)

• Injuries to be more descriptive (blood animations for only more severe injuries)

• Fighting as common as NHL92, but with the fighting engine from NHLPA93

• The ability to add your own organ music, theme songs (uploading audio into the game)

• Pressing A on defense would make a player lay down to block a shot (taken from NHL95)

• A possible "re-direction" animation that would behave like the one-timer if a pass were given to the player in the slot

• 3 levels of AI difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard)

• A franchise mode where players have a salary and you "build" a team and play seasons with them

• Add team logos onto the jerseys (if possible)

• Goalies should lay down less often than in NHL94, and more shots should result in rebounds

• Use the modern penalty system (2min for minors, 4min double minors, 5min majors, and 10min misconducts)

• Coaches and goalies on or behind the bench as well as the players

• The ability to export stats from the game as some form of text document

more to come along with a rough draft of the proposal will be posted here soon... it has to be ready by thursday, April 7th.

Personally, I would love to see alot of these features in the game. My main concern would be that the in-game AI and graphics were the same, that's what makes the game so much fun. I would always keep an original NHL94 cartridge around and play it as well.

Would a poll work? Do we have the ability to create polls in which you can choose multiple options on the same poll? For instance, if there's 20 options & I think 15 are good ideas, could I choose all 15?

If so, that would be great. If not, we could create a regular post with a numbered list & everybody could put a + next to something they would like to see, a - for something they would dislike & nothing next to something they are neutral on.

Another little suggestion I just thought of is the Goalies equipment to be a little more original. Like back in 93' Irbe had the white pads and weird looking players helmet. Itd be cool if they could make this visible.

Ps. Add it to ur list.

How about a real 1-100 ratings system instead of a 0-6 ratings system for player attributes? It would be hard to impliment, but would definitely help if there was a franchise mode. Stat building in a franchise mode wouldn't be that much fun if your guy only increments 1 or 2 points in his career.