NHL'94 Forums

Another jotac sweep of the kid...caper chokers?or jota clutch?..well done sir!

the94kid

again despite the sweep were 3 really close games and i think this guy is def in my head in the playoffs, both times i played him my hands could not stop shaking and i was throwing the puck away lol, my goalie my has well been a pilon, but no excuses...champions perform when needed to and u sir have demonstrated a true champion...well done...not easy in this league and especially to win back to back....congrats to the best player online again ;)

not sure if the penguins will return or if i give gartner and the boys another shot just to mix it up

thanks for a great season evan and company and had a blast once again despite my lack of showing up in the finals lol...maybe next season...again lol

cheers

Real sorry to see my man the kid go down. Especially after climbing such a huge hurdle in knocking off shakazuzu and avenging his Caper brethren.

But man oh man what a playoff beast that JotaC is. The guy is now 8-0 in playoff series! He wins em in sweeps. He wins em in 7. He wins em when he's down 3 games to 1. He wins em when he's down 3 games to 2. He is the king of the one-goal wins. Doesn't seem to get rattled at all by a loss, even a blowout loss (lost 9-2 and 7-2 to pokerchamp in the semis and still came away with the series).

There are tons of awesome players in this league that have lost playoff series because their nerves got jittery. I know it happened to me for sure back in rd 3 of the Spring 2006 playoffs, when I lost in five to the94kid himself. Totally beat myself in that series, hands were shaking and I could feel the pressure huge. I was also pretty nervous against shakazuzu this year, although I don't think it ended up getting out of control to the point where it cost me any games. Happened to Biff in two finals in a row. Pokerchamp admitted to nerves in the first round this year. Happens to everyone.......... except JotaC. The man has nerves of steel. Who'da thunk a below-.500 regular season player (well at least before forfeits and DNP's) would come away with the title? I had a feeling he was playing possum on us!

I'd like to say great season all, but it was actually kind of a mess with tons of guys dropping off and not showing up. It was an ugly season but we made it through it, and we can only hope that we never have a season this ugly again. Kudos to the admins for keeping the ship going despite some real rough waters. Congrats and thank you as well to all guys who played to the bitter end.

Two-time defending champ, can anyone knock JotaC off next season? Stay tuned!

The Deer,

You make a good point about nerves. Obviously skill has to do with outcomes but nerves can play a big role as well (maybe even a bigger role).

So far, playing in the winter league. I have a record of 11-16...I have a record of 11-1 against the SNES 'B' league players and an 0-15 record against SNES A league players. why is that? You'd think I would've atleast won once against an 'A' league player or lost more against the 'B' guys.

well there obvioulsy is a skill difference between the A and B players...but why do i make come backs or win the one goal games against the 'B' players...and blow leads against the 'A' players and lose the one goal games.

I think it nerves more so then skill....I go in thinking 'well i'm not supposed to win this game since it is an A league player so let's just have some fun with it' and i find myself trying to make low percentage plays that i wouldn't normally make just trying to get a goal...or on the reverse side playing defence...not concentrating on making the plays.

don't get me wrong i'm not saying I should have a winning record against 'A' players...but I know there were a few games where i'd be up but never felt comfortable with playing the lead against the better players and vice versa against the B players(never feeling out of it when fallen behind).

i'm not even in the playoffs yet.....lol..perhaps my nerves will be shot by then.

EDIT* for the spring perhaps I'll ask Evan if he can start an A-/B+ league...then my nerves wont have anything to do with it :lol:

Champion Mind:

Was on party after this victory :lol: so didnt have the time to post before.

Every time that I play againts Biffy I upgrade my play, and like other players notice they always see another JotaC on playoff games different that in normal season or practise games ;)

First at all, I have to say that for me its Biffy the true Champ :). Even if I win in 4, the games were really close.

I knew that Pitts will be hard, Lemieux, Stevens,Murphy Barraso allstars. So my strategy to win this series was to have a good goaltending, Lemieux is instopable so my only chance was to be good with Cujo, and that is what I did. No bad goals. Tks to the players who help me practise my goaltending on those practise games.(poker,steve,fenty etc) Second, was to play with Hull, and not to lose anychance because i know that pitts will control the game, so need to play offensive style and dont will have a lot of chance to score. What that kill Biffy, he didn't play enought with Mario, and I the first game I notice that he was nervous.

Dont know what are my plans for next year, maybe I will go on East section triying a new Team. Maybe the chance to someone else to win the cup next year. Or back go with my normal teams: st louis, chicago, pitts, nyr, edm. will see

I want to tks Even for this great league, u guys, Biffy, Blazer( my nhl94 teacher)

Series Recap

Hull vs Lemieux : Dream Final :P

G1: Pits 4 - Stl 5 ot: Biffy was nervous on the 1 period, he give me a goal gift and Mario was too quiet, Hull scores 4 goals and even if biffy do a comeback on 3th period with 6sec. Brown give me the victory on a breakway.

3 starts:

1 Hull

2 Brown

3 Lemieux

G2: Pits 5 - Stl 6: Pitts have a good start, Mario played really well. But this time it was to me to do a comeback on 3th them Biffy miss a chance on some goods stops of Cujo. No OT this Time :)

3 Starts

1 Lemieux

2 Hull

3 Shanahan

G3: Stl 7 - Pits 1: This was Cujo game, he was almost perfect, on breakways ,one timers slapshoots, only jagr score a beaty on 1 on 1.Bob Bassen was a great substitute of injury and penality players

3starts

1 Joseph

2 Hull

3 Bassen

G4: Stl 5 - Pits 4: This one was is Hull game again, Biffy looks without energy in my side they were no pressure but I dont want to lose this one too, cuz I cant give anychance to this guy otherwise he gonna beat me, series will change too. 1 error and I'm dead. So I played this one like a 7 game. Taking a lead of 5-3 on 3period. Biffy try a comeback, but Cujo again was there to stops Mario and his gang.

Verdic K.O of Hull vs Lemieux

Merci, Gracias, Thanks

The Deer,

You make a good point about nerves. Obviously skill has to do with outcomes but nerves can play a big role as well (maybe even a bigger role).

So far, playing in the winter league. I have a record of 11-16...I have a record of 11-1 against the SNES 'B' league players and an 0-15 record against SNES A league players. why is that? You'd think I would've atleast won once against an 'A' league player or lost more against the 'B' guys.

well there obvioulsy is a skill difference between the A and B players...but why do i make come backs or win the one goal games against the 'B' players...and blow leads against the 'A' players and lose the one goal games.

I think it nerves more so then skill....I go in thinking 'well i'm not supposed to win this game since it is an A league player so let's just have some fun with it' and i find myself trying to make low percentage plays that i wouldn't normally make just trying to get a goal...or on the reverse side playing defence...not concentrating on making the plays.

don't get me wrong i'm not saying I should have a winning record against 'A' players...but I know there were a few games where i'd be up but never felt comfortable with playing the lead against the better players and vice versa against the B players(never feeling out of it when fallen behind).

i'm not even in the playoffs yet.....lol..perhaps my nerves will be shot by then.

EDIT* for the spring perhaps I'll ask Evan if he can start an A-/B+ league...then my nerves wont have anything to do with it :P

Nerves do become a factor. Last night, when me and Matt were playing overtime (we were actually playing a seperate game because I had to leave in the middle of overtime in our original game, but we decided to play a make-up sudden death period), I got really jittery when I was shorthanded, and started just playing hard, hitting his guys, not giving him a single chance on goal. Whenever I could, I just dumped the puck down the ice to kill time to get back to five on five. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when I managed to get the puck off of him and clear it late in the penalty, letting the penalty expire, and an even bigger one when he subsequently iced it to set up the winning goal for me.

Congrads to Jota

This season was somewhat of a mess.

But hopefully next season can provide a much more intense regular season.

There's alot of players I'd love to have a playoff series with, Mike, Rudy, Deer, Kid, Mcmarkis,Scwartz, Shak, Jota again.......

Hopefully all the above will be commited next season, this has been a great way for me to unwind from time to time......

As for the finals.... i must say I was suprised to hear about the sweep.

I think Jota is the best with his goalie & he's always able to make big saves in tight games. Very impressive run this season as he beat Chicago Mike, Rudy with Detroit, Me..., & Kid with Pitts in the finals. He had the toughest road possible, so there's no ? who's #1 right now..

I am back from a freshly surgerized knee and I am here to say GFG to Jota. This guy is deadly, plain and simple. He is like that polite guest who wipes his feet before he enters, makes sure to mind his P's and Q's, even washes his own dishes in the sink, but as soon as you start to think he might not be so threatening after all BOOOOM HE TURNS YOU AROUND, HANDS OUT THE SPANKS, AND JUST HUMBLES YOU. Well done again man :)

Ya, the sweep is very surprising. I'm also surprised he didn't toy with Kid like he did the rest of us. I think Kid should take it as a compliment that Jota brought his A game from the get go.

The thing is, the only way to really get a read on Jota's A game is in a playoff series with him. So there are only a select few of us who have ever experienced facing his true A game. I look forward to the next chance.

- Mike

take it as a compliment?? lol what??..the guy played well, he didn't murder me and i didn't play well and we had 3 one goal games...i dont think i've lost to him in reg season play...im not saying the guy isn't good, def clutch...i feel i didn't play near as well as i could have and easily could have flopped the scores of the 3 games...so no i wont take it as a compliment that i got his "A" game lol, thats rediculous

Not sure you got my gist there. Jota should be more insulted about what I said than you. I was implying that he often gives half assed efforts (intentionally or not I don't know), obviously in the regular season, but in the early parts of playoff series too (exhibit A: Games 1 & 3 in Pokerchamps series. Exhibit B: Game 1 in Rudy's. It happened in mine too, though doesn't show in the scores, I don't think I got the A game treatment until game 6) and the fact that it appears he didn't give any half assed efforts in yours means he took you more seriously than the rest of us, at least that's what I was trying to say. But if you say you played bad...

take it as a compliment?? lol what??..the guy played well, he didn't murder me and i didn't play well and we had 3 one goal games...i dont think i've lost to him in reg season play...im not saying the guy isn't good, def clutch...i feel i didn't play near as well as i could have and easily could have flopped the scores of the 3 games...so no i wont take it as a compliment that i got his "A" game lol, thats rediculous

Not sure you got my gist there. Jota should be more insulted about what I said than you. I was implying that he often gives half assed efforts (intentionally or not I don't know), obviously in the regular season, but in the early parts of playoff series too (exhibit A: Games 1 & 3 in Pokerchamps series. Exhibit B: Game 1 in Rudy's. It happened in mine too, though doesn't show in the scores, I don't think I got the A game treatment until game 6) and the fact that it appears he didn't give any half assed efforts in yours means he took you more seriously than the rest of us, at least that's what I was trying to say. But if you say you played bad...

I really doubt Jota was half assing it. The guy just knows how to win when it counts.

rudy

Ya I don't agree with that either

He just wins the key games. Maybe theres alittle toying at times but bottom line in my opinion he has alittle luck on his side too.

Game 2 vs me & a chance to go up 2-0 he wins double OT game that I really led whole way

then Game 4 with chance to go up 3-1 he wins 5-4 scores late in 3rd

then Game 5 biggest game of series he knocks out selanne, & deer will learn soon how bad Winn is without selanne.

He's like the Montreal Canadians the last time they won the cup... you guys remember, they won so many OT games 8 straight I believe. Skill for sure, but also some luck involved.

I'd also like to say that I started playin my series vs Jota the same time I went to sleep the night before, & hadn't played in 5 days

If I would have known how long it would take Kid & Mcmarkis to play there series I would have waited till I wasn't so tired.

He also played 4 or 5 games vs me right before playin the Kid, I didn't have that kind of preperation for any of my series not even close.

LOL ... You angered some of us with those comments!!

I was a rookie this season, if he wins the winter league I will bend over at that point.

But me personally, there's no other player I want a series with right now, give me JOTA 1st round!!!!!