NHL'94 Forums

Nose Program Problem Thread

SabreFan1

I've gotten the mscomctl.ocx stuff, ran the .inf file, and NOSE is still giving me the mscomctl.ocx error message! What's the problem?

I've gotten the mscomctl.ocx stuff, ran the .inf file, and NOSE is still giving me the mscomctl.ocx error message! What's the problem?

Just to confirm when you say you ran the inf, you do mean you extracted the .cab file, right mouse clicked the .inf and selected install? (double clicking simply opens the inf in Notepad which techinally does squat)

If so, it should of copied the .ocx file to your Windows\System32 directory. Please check it exists there. If it doesn't exist try installing it again. If it still doesn't exist, copy the file manually into Windows\System32

The open a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd [Enter]).

Change to the Windows\System32 folder. e.g.

C:\>cd \Windows\System32

And run the two commands regsvr32 commmands below

C:Windows\System32>regsvr32 /u mscomctl.ocx

C:Windows\System32>regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx

Try running NOSE again.

Also, make sure you've installed the VB Runtime 6 Sp5 file.

Let us know what if any of the aboves steps fixes your problem.

• 1 month later...

I got everything installed and downloaded....I got all excited that I could make my own rosters and crap...then I go to open a game to edit....and there were none that came with the download in the rom section....and I downloaded a rom and tried putting it in the folder and it didn't work...I'm not big on this stuff but I really want to know how to edit games like this and stuff....so I probably sound like an idiot, but can someone help me out?

I got everything installed and downloaded....I got all excited that I could make my own rosters and crap...then I go to open a game to edit....and there were none that came with the download in the rom section....and I downloaded a rom and tried putting it in the folder and it didn't work...I'm not big on this stuff but I really want to know how to edit games like this and stuff....so I probably sound like an idiot, but can someone help me out?

Ummm... Have you tried File > Open from the menu?

If the rom is zipped/rar'ed, uncompress it first.

What message if any are you getting? If it appears to be an rom, download a GoodGen named/verified rom. The filenames of the roms you are after are listed in the readme.txt distrubed with NOSE. Google is your friend. I don't distribute the roms with NOSE for legal/copyright reasons.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm new here and at all of this editing stuff with NOSE as well. Its a fantastic program, but when I save the changes I've made to the player attributes, the changes dont appear in the game. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks guys

Thanks clockwise, but for whatever reason it still isnt working. I'm using the roster edits made my Mack, but I want to keep updating them. After I make the changes, I apply them, save it and exit. They dont appear in the game, but when I come back into NOSE all the changes are still there.

I'm so confused.

Do you have NOSE and the emulator open at the same time?

If so, make sure that you reload the rom with the "Open ROM" or "ROM History" feature within the emulator to see the save changes.

Don't just use RESET within the emulator as it won't reload the file.

As for "Ok" and "Apply", they are basically the same except "Ok" also closes the edit window, and "Apply" works in with the "Auto Next on Apply" feature.

• 1 month later...

I get an error message that whatever folder the nose files are in, it says "C:\\....nosefolder\ini\ does not exist" I've searched and have no clue what I can do to fix this, I've installed the following, as well as put the nose files in the same folder I have all my other sega emulators/roms. Do I need a specific emulator or rom to run it properly?

· Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 5 Run-time Redistribution Pack

· Windows Common Controls ActiveX Control DLL

Sorry, if this is very noobish, but I'm usually pretty good in figuring this stuff out :)

There is no requirement to even have an emulator on your PC to run NOSE.

Simply upzip the contents of the download into a new folder (e.g. c:\nose). Within you should find nose.exe and a bunch of sub folder (e.g. cursors, icons, ini etc.) and files (readme.txt etc.)

Run nose.exe and it should work unless you are are still required to install the VB runtime files or ActiveX common control. If so, read the "installation" section of the readme.txt for more details on how to do this.

• 1 month later...

NOSE worked flawlessly on a different computer for me, but I have since installed it on another computer and I've had a problem.

Every once in awhile, the "Run-time Error '9' Subscript out of range" message will pop up, causing the program to shut down. While it may not be related, it seems to do this after I do anything in the Color Browser. I never received anything like this on the other computer. Any ideas?

Thanks. Just want to say that this is an awesome program.

EDIT: This problem may have been covered before, but I'm unable to view the included picture. I changed the DPI settings to Normal, so we'll see if that fixes it.

yeah, that will be the fix.

if you run the large font DPI setting things stuff up because I the way I am calculating which color the mouse is apparently over.

to test this, run the mouse cursor on the right or bottom edge of the color browser and what it crash evertime. :blink:

• 6 months later...
There is no requirement to even have an emulator on your PC to run NOSE.

Simply upzip the contents of the download into a new folder (e.g. c:\nose). Within you should find nose.exe and a bunch of sub folder (e.g. cursors, icons, ini etc.) and files (readme.txt etc.)

Run nose.exe and it should work unless you are are still required to install the VB runtime files or ActiveX common control. If so, read the "installation" section of the readme.txt for more details on how to do this.

i have had same problemand i have downloaded everything and it still wont open??

i have had same problemand i have downloaded everything and it still wont open??

Did you follow the instructions with the readme.txt..? especially the bit where you need to extract the cab file you download, and right click the .inf file to install.