NHL'94 Forums

"The Trap", NHL 94 Style

badge

So something came over me today, I don't know what it was.

Let me first set the scene:

It was a cold December afternoon (today), and we had just got back to our SNES after a quick arms and back workout followed by a half hour on the elliptical trainer. Feeling all svelte and what not, we sat down for a quick chel session; a basic best of 3.

Of course, I was maintaining a third period lead (a slim one), and I had possession of the puck and I decided to do something I have never done before. I skated around my end, passing back and forth to my own guys for what seemed like an eternity, dodging hits and by all means becoming a ghost (this afforementioned eternity was 3:30 chel time) until my comptetitor said, and i quote, "you are being lame", and proceeded to throw down his controller in disgust.

I don't care if that was a run on sentence.

Anyways, maybe because he was reminded by the way he was playing, my competitor went to go take a poop, only to return and inquire "are you done being gay yet?". To which I replied with a hardy chuckle.

My question is, is this acceptable behaviour on my part? Was my competitor crying over spilt milk? Is it him who is "the gay one"?

Your thoughts, please.

Oh great overall post, i was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I couldnt wait to see how your anonymous challenger would react. And much how i expected, he left and took a poop? Wait i didnt expect that at all, but thats what was so great about this tale. Personally, i find it totally legal, for often when i try this method, i get scored on, possibly the Chel Gods frowning down on me. But if they did not strike you down well past the 3 minute mark, that must be a sign to adopt a new style of play. Keep developing and reach for those stars! (mainly me, the number one rank)

back to studying. wish me luck guys

that's a tough question...even if i have the lead i still try to make an effort and score and not play a game of 'keep away'...but on the flip side...I gotta give you kudos...if you're good enough to do that...you're not cheating in anyway and whoever your opponent is simply gonna have to figure out how to get the puck from you.

*Edit...I should add that if you are just playing an exhibition game....then it's probably not a good idea..but if its a play off or championship...then you do what you gotta do to win.

Let the truth be known guys, i was the anonymous competitor. However they are a few facts from the story that must be revealed.

- I did have a very good scoring opportunity, but Gary Roberts decided he didn't want to score, only hit the post

- I did not throw my control down in a rampage, simply walked away in disgust

- I am infact a better player than badge, and i was very frustrated thus, didn't come up with anything better then "your being lame"

I have a problem with this style of play because personaly i would never stoop low enough to do it. Having said that though, its prefectly legal and if badge feels he needs to win games like this, than he's gotta do whats hes gotta do to gain respect. In my opinion when i have the lead, i like to go for the "kill" if you will, and score a few more gene dogs. I don't believe the creators (god like figures) of nhl 94 meant for the game to be played the way badge plays it. But thats just me. I respect badge's victory and won't take anything away from it. He played to win and in doing so, was indeed "the gay one".

I wouldn't be concerned with playing keep away being what's making you gay. You took care of that when you used the elliptical trainer. Those things blow big time!

Ahh yes, thank you for adding nothing to this thread. Fatty fat fat fat.

Please elaborate Fleury. Maybe you, like Lauschy, have inferior NHL 94 skills and thus cannot manage to check an opposing player.

If this is the case, God bless your chel skills and I will pray to play Chel against you, score one goal, and play keep away for the remaining 14 minutes. (Credit to Baron for the idea)

In the meantime, please explain how controlling the puck and protecting a lead justifies an opposing player to throw down his controller and go take a poop.

Mrs.I-am-fleury's-bum-buddy... there is nothing that goes against the trap in hockey. The New Jersey Devils used it to perfection and won a cup with it. So unless youre going against 25 NHL'ers with stanley cup rings on their fingers, back off the trap. NHL94 is hockey, and thus, we play with the same strategies. Badger, keep up your work, and i look forward to thwarting your trap when we next meet, that is, if you get a lead. But until then, keep pumping Lausch and send him back to Wendy crying. Or pooping, whatever.

Post Script, what kind of way is that to score Mrs. Fleury? Go back to Mortal Kombat, we dont want you.

Ahh yes, thank you for adding nothing to this thread. Fatty fat fat fat.

I haven't been fat since I got my own personal crosstrainer, but now suddenly I'm cheesy and play keep away when I have the lead. I'd like to see you use that brilliant stratagem against a real player, like me. Anytime any place.......

Easy guys, I'm just kidding around here. Lets not get our panties in a bunch.

You put it out there looking for responses so I'm giving you what you want. I'm just saying that I understand why your buddy reacted the way he did. Lets keep things in perspective here, this is a game and we play it for fun. And unless you're killing a penalty, I don't think the keep away game is a strategy that anyone should consider. First of all, b/c we're better players than to resort to that strategy. And second, even though it is a strategy that's used in real hockey, we have to deal with something that real players don't.... AI. Chel AI can't adapt to that style which makes it very easy to do and what I would consider a cheap way of playing.

I probably would have been laughing at your friends expense if I were there. But at the same time, I would hope that you would only do that to get a rise out of your bud rather than to think that's a solid strategy that you should incorporate into the way you play the game.

In regards to the best way to score, probably one of the first and well known codes of all times. Contra for old school NES. Man, I can't believe you didn't get the reference but then again, I've probably dated myself big time.

And Baron, I was more than relieved to read that you don't "want" me, especially after your friends deemed you the gay one. ;-) Just messin around, couldn't help myself.

And you don't have to resort to praying to get a game, just use my AIM and we can set something up. I'm always up for someone new to play against.

...especially after your friends deemed you the gay one.

Just so we're clear, Lauschy is deemed to be the gay one. Im not even in the same province at the moment to be pouting about losing. Don't want any misunderstandings about elliptical training or anything like that, thats not my style.

I'm with IAmFleury'sHipCheck... I'd probably do it to a buddy to get under his skin. But I don't really find the strategy fun other than that, so if I played someone who did that on a regular basis whenever he had a lead, I'd probably play fewer games against him and play people who match my philosophical style more (with no hard feelings).

I'm with IAmFleury'sHipCheck... I'd probably do it to a buddy to get under his skin. But I don't really find the strategy fun other than that, so if I played someone who did that on a regular basis whenever he had a lead, I'd probably play fewer games against him and play people who match my philosophical style more (with no hard feelings).

No offense, but since I seem to blow leads a lot with my aggressive play style, I might just start getting a lead and playing the trap. Maybe go for chances here and there, but my all-out style tends to get me an early lead which I seem to lose in the late game, or lose right away and cannot regain.

No offense, but since I seem to blow leads a lot with my aggressive play style, I might just start getting a lead and playing the trap. Maybe go for chances here and there, but my all-out style tends to get me an early lead which I seem to lose in the late game, or lose right away and cannot regain.

I think that's part of why these questions are hard to definitively answer; you sort of HAVE to adjust your play to the score / situation. Then it's just a matter of people drawing the line in different places.

I play somewhat conservatively, but if I'm trailing late I open things up a lot, which either gets me back into a close game or results in me getting blown out. And if I'm leading late I play even more conservatively - I don't ice the puck every possession, but I don't try to hit homeruns with outlet passes from my goalie like I might in the 1st period either.

YMMV.

So something came over me today, I don't know what it was.

Let me first set the scene:

It was a cold December afternoon (today), and we had just got back to our SNES after a quick arms and back workout followed by a half hour on the elliptical trainer. Feeling all svelte and what not, we sat down for a quick chel session; a basic best of 3.

Of course, I was maintaining a third period lead (a slim one), and I had possession of the puck and I decided to do something I have never done before. I skated around my end, passing back and forth to my own guys for what seemed like an eternity, dodging hits and by all means becoming a ghost (this afforementioned eternity was 3:30 chel time) until my comptetitor said, and i quote, "you are being lame", and proceeded to throw down his controller in disgust.

I don't care if that was a run on sentence.

Anyways, maybe because he was reminded by the way he was playing, my competitor went to go take a poop, only to return and inquire "are you done being gay yet?". To which I replied with a hardy chuckle.

My question is, is this acceptable behaviour on my part? Was my competitor crying over spilt milk? Is it him who is "the gay one"?

Your thoughts, please.

**deleted** Please refer to the Forum Rules. -Mod

**deleted** Please refer to the Forum Rules. -Mod

Are you saying that everyone that plays without offsides and line changes is an idiot? Why would you write something like that?

I thought badge's topic posed a legitimate question for debate and received some good responses.

Some people might suspect me of lollygagging due to the fact that I pass an inordinate amount of times, (in excess of 100 times a game regardless of the score) But anyone who knows my style knows that I run a passing style offence and It's just my m.o.

However..I never milk the clock. To me it's the equivilent of slapping someone in the face old english style with a white glove.

The problem is that its not a cheap play, its the games fault for having the player attributes way to high, makes things like defense useless. If you were to play Chris's upcoming NHL MMVII (double M seven) you would see that the cheap goal and just dekeing around all day is not so easy.

• 7 months later...
The problem is that its not a cheap play, its the games fault for having the player attributes way to high, makes things like defense useless. If you were to play Chris's upcoming NHL MMVII (double M seven) you would see that the cheap goal and just dekeing around all day is not so easy.

I feel this last post was nothing but an all out maketing scheme to advertise the "double m seven" game. Quit living in the present, live in the past like the rest of us. Don't try to change us or 94, our wives and girlfriends already do that. Thank you for your input though sir.