NHL'94 Forums

Game Controls

patio87

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me about all the stuff you can do ingame, and what the controls are. I am pretty much only used to nhl 93, and only used shoot, turbo/check, switch player, other than that I don't know what else is possible. I have just recently discovered that there is a third button in 94(i'm using my xbox emulator, with xbox controller) that kinda kicks up the puck and it rotates, but seems not to go anywhere specifically, it just sort of just go off flying at random.

Can someone please help me out here?? Also, how do you go about passing, is there any specifics, or just press the pass button and the computer decides who it goes to? Or is there some way to "influence" who is passed to?? It seems that sometimes it just goes nowhere right, sometimes right to the opposing goalie.

Hey patio87 - I've actually been looking for my manual for the last couple of days to try to give you the "official" breakdown of the controls lest I forget something important. I can answer your passing question - the pass will generally go to the player who is "most" in the direction you're pointing with the D-pad (or whatever you're using as your directional controls on the keyboard). If there is no teammate in that general direction, instead of going directly towards a teammate the pass will shoot in a straight line in the direction you're pointing.

Without Puck:

A - Hook player

B - Switch to player closest to the puck/poke check

C - Speed burst/cross check

With Puck:

A - tap to dump puck in, holding it down for a second will bring up the line change menu and let you change lines before dumping in

B - Pass (you want to go easy on this, a tap should be sufficient or else you'll give the recipient too hard of a pass to control on his stick)

C - tap for a wrist shot, hold for a slapshot.

Hey patio87 - I've actually been looking for my manual for the last couple of days to try to give you the "official" breakdown of the controls lest I forget something important. I can answer your passing question - the pass will generally go to the player who is "most" in the direction you're pointing with the D-pad (or whatever you're using as your directional controls on the keyboard). If there is no teammate in that general direction, instead of going directly towards a teammate the pass will shoot in a straight line in the direction you're pointing.

I knwo the manual is a longie at 80+ pages, but getting it scanned might be a useful asset for the site, so people can learn the ins and outs of the game, or for people who just want to read the extreme detail it goes into.

Awesome guys, see this is some of the stuff I needed, I had no idea 75% of that was even possible, this game is much deeper than I gave it I guess. And yes Setar, that would be a great idea, and I would be(along with many others) very appreciative if someone did that. But if I saw a copy of that game anywhere with that manual I would buy it up, in fact I would just buy the manual if I had the chance.

Ah yes, hail to the manual. I learned the game of hockey from that manual. All the rules, all the players. It made me a fan of the NHL and the game of hockey.

There's no better place to do all of that than, you guessed it, on the shitter. I still bust out the manual when im light on reading material.

post-646-1166491606_thumb.jpg

Ah yes, hail to the manual. I learned the game of hockey from that manual. All the rules, all the players. It made me a fan of the NHL and the game of hockey.

There's no better place to do all of that than, you guessed it, on the shitter. I still bust out the manual when im light on reading material.

Yeah you know what, this game is making me into a hockey fan now as well. I just watched the Hawks on Saturday pound the Blue Jackets in the first quarter. That was pretty much the first hockey game I ever actually intently watched.

Easy now, patio87 just needs to spend more time on the shitter.

Hullie, you got your stinky, poop fingers on the bible? Sounds like blasphemy to me. ;)

Patio, this may or may not be much help to you... As far as the manual is concerned, it's a great source for the rules of the game, however, for player detail, it's not the best resource you could use since it only lists the overall ratings. What you should do is download NOSE (NHL Old Skool Editor) which has it's own section in the forum. Then open the NHL94 rom through that program and you'll be able to compare all the player attributes, as well as, modify it to create your own version. Check it out if you haven't already. It's extremely easy to use.

Yes, the truth is, it is flagged (eg George Costanza). However, I do not intend on returning it to the book store. Besides, its my copy of said bible. Last time you had a peice of ass, your finger broke through the toilet paper. Me? I keep the brown off the digits.

post-646-1166578975_thumb.jpg

I also support the idea that someone needs to scan the whole book and post it on this site. This is nhl94.com afterall isn't it?

I don't have the manual just a game cart so I would definitely read it.

Yes, I have a manual and I attempted to scan it in one day. Then after doing a couple pages, it was apparent it would take a LONG time. This is something we'll eventually have on the site, but yea.. it's long.

-Evan

Awesome guys, see this is some of the stuff I needed, I had no idea 75% of that was even possible, this game is much deeper than I gave it I guess. And yes Setar, that would be a great idea, and I would be(along with many others) very appreciative if someone did that. But if I saw a copy of that game anywhere with that manual I would buy it up, in fact I would just buy the manual if I had the chance.

http://www.gamemanuals.net/index.php

This is a great site. I was looking for the manual for FIFA International Soccer for Sega CD and I was able to get it here. I don't see an NHL 94 manual yet, but from the looks of it, this site is constantly updated so it couldn't hurt to keep checking it.

Yes, the truth is, it is flagged (eg George Costanza). However, I do not intend on returning it to the book store. Besides, its my copy of said bible. Last time you had a peice of ass, your finger broke through the toilet paper. Me? I keep the brown off the digits.

Hullie, how did you know that? Did you see my clip on youtube too? Man, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to live that one down.

yep, so graphic you could sniff it.

http://www.gamemanuals.net/index.php

This is a great site. I was looking for the manual for FIFA International Soccer for Sega CD and I was able to get it here. I don't see an NHL 94 manual yet, but from the looks of it, this site is constantly updated so it couldn't hurt to keep checking it.

http://www.gamemanuals.net/download/1ebe59...94_%28EN%29.pdf

Found.