NHL'94 Forums

I need some advice

edisaurusrex

OK, I would appreciate if someone could lend me some nhl94 advice since I obviously dont have a clue what in God's name is going on - hence my record of a whopping 1-20-0. I mean, my guys cant knock anybody down on the checks, they cant hang on to the puck, and my goalie is obviously blind since he can only save a third of the shots fired his way. I am on pace to destroy whatever records Magus had in mind to create. HELP! (please reply here)

You will get tons of different advice from different people. Everyone has their own style of play and you will have to find yours.

Here is some advice from me.

If your oppononent can't shoot the puck, they can't score. Thus, Defense is very important. Don't switch your control from player to player all the time trying to check people, that wil just open up lanes for the offense. Choose one player, cement yourself in the center to clog up one timers, and make hits on the boards when you can. The A and B button's are very effective in getting your opponent off the puck.

other bits:

- goalie control, learn it to prevent skate across goals and some slappers

- learn to deke the goalie on offense

- slappers from the top of the circles are a high percentage shot

The best advice is to just watch what your opponent does, and try to emulate it. I think I lost 12 straight or soemthing close to it when I first joined the NHL94 Online League, but I started figuring out stuff by watching my opponent. Don't get frustrated at any point, you definately will learn this stuff!

Now that we've played and I got a look at your style close up...I can give you some advice that I've taken to heart.

-Know what your team is capable of doing. For example, I figured out after starting 0-14 that this team can't hit for their lives. That's why I started poke checking, and we've been much more competitive.

-One-timers. Any offense that can score must know how to use this deadly weapon to their advantage. I think I use it too much, but hey...gotta go with what gets you to the show :P

-Defensive focus. Keep a guy in the middle. Sometimes it's not better to follow the puck. I'd be content to keep one guy back to poke the puck away from the goalie.

Those are some things I think will make you a really good player. Coming from me, it sounds like shenanigans, but I feel that my game has gotten so much better from where it was when the season started. :D

You will get tons of different advice from different people. Everyone has their own style of play and you will have to find yours.

Here is some advice from me.

If your oppononent can't shoot the puck, they can't score. Thus, Defense is very important. Don't switch your control from player to player all the time trying to check people, that wil just open up lanes for the offense. Choose one player, cement yourself in the center to clog up one timers, and make hits on the boards when you can. The A and B button's are very effective in getting your opponent off the puck.

other bits:

- goalie control, learn it to prevent skate across goals and some slappers

- learn to deke the goalie on offense

- slappers from the top of the circles are a high percentage shot

The best advice is to just watch what your opponent does, and try to emulate it. I think I lost 12 straight or soemthing close to it when I first joined the NHL94 Online League, but I started figuring out stuff by watching my opponent. Don't get frustrated at any point, you definately will learn this stuff!

Great response Matt. You're dead on.

Another tips is to know you're team's strengths (and weaknesses).

I'm a bigger slapper guy so the first thing that stands out on your team is Brett Hull. He can score anywhere past the blue line if you set him up right. I know it may seem like his shot is wild... But once you tame it, look out! So start working on those slappers. And One-timers... Just feed any one timer to him. Even if it looks like a garbage one, his shot power will rocket the puck in the net. Now to his weakness... He's a crappy skater. Unless you've got some razzle dazzle moves, dont be skating up the ice with him much. Leave that to Jagr.

Can you guys please keep this stuff going, i am pretty new to this game and don't what is possible or how deep this game goes. Like slap shots, how exactly do you go about setting up for a slap shot, knowing when/where to do it, and not just wasting that shot to the goalies glove. Also what else is possible other then the one timer shots? What about defensive plays? How do I get the puck away from someone other then trying to check him?

I think for the most part, guys will be able to give you pointers but ultimately you just need to play as many games as you can and try and learn from others by watching how they play.