NHL'94 Forums

why NHL94?

Paulorap

hello,

im new to playing Gens online and i find NHL one of the best games ever,

but i know there are newer versions of the game, as far as i know there is NHL98 for genesis

so why people play the older NHL94 and not the newer ones (95, 96, 97, 98)?

what is so good about it?

thankx

Paulo

If I have to answer that for you, then why you like the game yourself?

Kidding aside, its all about the graphics, gameplay and frankly the rosters. If we could put the best of NHL 93-95 all in one game, it be the best hockey game that could ever be made.

NHL was at its best around the early 90s, once the trap came into the game there was less interest in the league.

NHL 94 is, simply put, more than a game.

When playing against worthy opponents (whom are few and far between might I add), it is not a game of skill rather a mind game.

How are you going to penetrate your opponent's defence? Many passes? Split the D?

How will you stop his (or her) offensive attack? Backcheck a forward? Control your defencemen?

Anyways, I guess it is a game of skill.

Well, see ya out there.

It's the only hockey game i ever played where you can win a game simply based on your use of manual goalie.

if they make a new game with nhl94 gameplay(SNES version of course) with the new graphics and players..id buy that.

It's the only hockey game i ever played where you can win a game simply based on your use of manual goalie.

if they make a new game with nhl94 gameplay(SNES version of course) with the new graphics and players..id buy that.

Id like to play you on the Genesis version and prove that you can beat me just using Goalie Control.

Id like to play you on the Genesis version and prove that you can beat me just using Goalie Control.

It's been a while since ive played the genesis version....but if my memory serves me correct the manual goalies are way different between SNES and genesis.

What im saying is, I've won games that i didn't deserve to win simply based on my play with manual goalie...and had guys steal games against me based on their play with the manual goalie. That is what i like about it NHL94 compared to some of the other games I've played. Of course im only refering to the SNES version.

I guess Goalie Control is alot easier on SNES then Gens. There are only a few players who play the Sega version that can steal games that way.

Likely because there's a button on SNES devoted to going to goalie control, and on GENS you have to hold B.

What makes a great game?

I think one factor is the fact you can play it hours and hours without ever get bored. Nhl 94 is that kind of game. Like it was said before, all on the gameplay instead of grafic, that where the early 90'...

Indeed when played with skilled opponent this game get closer to reality then any other game i'v seen. And the roster is a pure jewel.. Man everybody is out there, you got all those good old timer.. Super Mario, Steve-Y, Joe Sakic and the Nordics, Winnipeg Jets, Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier.

The most incredible part is that people get addict to it. Lot of people comme by and go '' damn, whats that old hockey game... can i try?'' and next thing u know they want some more. They come back, get better and try wanting to beat you, they got attached to a team and then you got rivalry beggining.....

Once a week we watch the Habs and play a couple of games, you never get bored.