NHL'94 Forums

Miscoloring of Center Ice Logo...

Hey guys! I dsicovered this site a month or so ago and right away I started messing around with editing the rom. I remember playing this game when I was 6 years old (even though NHL '96 was out by then, my friend had '94 for his SNES), so being able to customize something that was part of my childhood like this is really, really cool. Since this game reminds me so much of my childhood, I've been trying to put another important part of my life into it. From when I was 5 until I was 10 I lived in Greenville, SC. Until, I believe last year, Greenville was home of the Grrreenville Grrrowl, an ECHL team. Being a huge hockey fan, I was lucky enough to have my parents take me and my little brother to Grrowl games all the time. Anyway, since I have such fond memories of the team, I've been trying to add the 2001-2002 Grrrowl to my NHL '94 rom (they won the league championship, the Kelly Cup, in that year - the year after I moved away from Greenville). The first thing I did was decided that I would just replace the Capitals with the Grrrowl to see if it'd work (I'm still very new at this editing stuff) so I used NOSE to change the name, arena, and jersey colors. That worked fine. Then I went to replace the Capitals center ice logo with the Grrrowl logo in Tile Molester. I changed the Capitals's palette to work with the Grrrowl image, but when I went to open up the rom, it seemed like the palette changed itself and messed up my logo! The logo itself is a tan dog outlined in black holding a black puck in its mouth, but on the ice, it looks like a black dog outlined in green and pink holding a grey and pink puck in it's mouth. I've changed the palette in Tile Molester to make sure the dog is colored properly, but it always reverts to the messed up version. Does anyone know ahts going on here? How do I fix this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

(p.s. To any ECHL or Grrrowl enthusiests that might be reading this - yes, I know the Grrrowl abandoned the old dog w/ puck logo for the dog head w/ words logo before the champioship seaon, but I like the old logo better. It's more of a personal preference than historical innacuracy!)

Here are a few ideas:

First of all, after you change the pallete in hex workshop, try re-inserting the same logo using tile molester. This doesn't sound like it will do anything, but it might assign different colors to the logo in the conversion process.

If that doesn't work, try playing around with the logo in a graphics editing program and try to make the colors more "solid".

If that still doesn't work, then find a grrrowl logo, determine the hex color codes of each color, then use those colors in the home jerseys because the ice logo is based off the same pallette. At that time, try putting the logo back in using tile molester. The colors should match up exactly.

Here are a few ideas:

First of all, after you change the pallete in hex workshop, try re-inserting the same logo using tile molester. This doesn't sound like it will do anything, but it might assign different colors to the logo in the conversion process.

If that doesn't work, try playing around with the logo in a graphics editing program and try to make the colors more "solid".

If that still doesn't work, then find a grrrowl logo, determine the hex color codes of each color, then use those colors in the home jerseys because the ice logo is based off the same pallette. At that time, try putting the logo back in using tile molester. The colors should match up exactly.

I changed the pallete in Tile Molester, not hex workshop. How do I change them in Hex Workshop?

I didn't know the pallette is based off of the home jerseys! That might explain everything...

I'll try it while I'm watching the Sabres/Caps game now!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Nice job thumb.gif

That is some impressive work on the player faces. I'm also impressed by the font. I'm looking for fonts for my project but I can't seem to find one I'm happy with. Did you design that font yourself?

Those jerseys look similar to my Nashville jerseys in my upcoming project, NHL MMVII:

post-46-1167199563_thumb.jpg

After setting the home team colors in NOSE, save the rom and learn to load the colors from the internal palette (loaded rom).

take a look at the screenshot attachments I posted at http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=615 for reference... especially the third last and second last pics.

TM unfortunately uses the WEB hex rgb equivalent of when comparing a loaded image that is being pasted in against the loaded palette, not the true RGB equivalent actually put out by the genesis/emulators. That can slightly hamper the quality of the imported logo you bring in. There is a way around it using a graphic program I use (not photoshop) but it quite involved so I won't go into it right now).

That said, based on the effort you posted, you should be able to work around the issue while keeping decent quality.

Chris: I believe the work on the faces and font are just a result of me rendering the game using a filter that game with Gens+ so it would look a little smoother and less pixelated. In fact, I didn't edit anything except the Grrrowl logo and jersey colors!

wboy: I'd love to hear this method for cheating the pallette/hex RGB system, but if it's really that long and complicated then don't bother. Only if you feel like it...

I updated the game a little bit. Made the ice white and changed the away jerseys to be darker (mostly black but with a purply kind of tint). Here's a new screenshot and the actual Grrrowl Jerseys to compare it against:

GrrrowlScreenshot2.jpg

428.jpeg384.jpeg

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Maybe someone can help me:

I have problems with the Center Ice Logo.

For example, I would like to replace the Boston Bruins Center Ice Logo with the Swiss team HC Lugano.

I do the following:

- I copy the file "NHL Hockey 94 (UE) [h] - Ice Rink Logos.xml" on the directory /resources/ of the Tile Molester and I rename it with the name of my customized ROM

- I run Tile Molester

- I open this customized ROM (NHL 94/30 Teams addon): NHL_94__Swiss_LNA__2006_2007___beta_0.1_18122006_.zip

- Menu "View > Codec > 4bpp linear"

- Menu "Image > Canvas size > Columns 6, Rows 4"

- Menu "Palette > Importe from > This file..:"

Offset: 01953790 (with NOSE 1.2b, for Boston/Lugano i see that the "Home Stip Offset Dec 01953790")

Size: 16

Format: 9bpp BGR (Genesis)

Byte order: Motorola

- Menu "Navigate > 000F2A8E - BOS" and now i can see the Boston Bruins logo with the right color palette

- Menu "Edit > Paste from..." and now I import my 48x32 PNG logo: post-800-1167243534.png

- The logo is imported correctly and I save it

But when I play the ROM, the logo is always the old one!

Why???

I believe that the location of center ice files in the 30 Team Rom is different from te location of center ice files in the original rom, but I'd wait until someone else weighs in on this one since I'm fairly clueless myself...

Maybe try using the same process in the original rom and see if it works. That might tell you if it's a matter of not replacing the right tiles or if your process is flawed ('cause I used an almost identical process only I used the original rom).

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Chris: I believe the work on the faces and font are just a result of me rendering the game using a filter that game with Gens+ so it would look a little smoother and less pixelated. In fact, I didn't edit anything except the Grrrowl logo and jersey colors!

wboy: I'd love to hear this method for cheating the pallette/hex RGB system, but if it's really that long and complicated then don't bother. Only if you feel like it...

I updated the game a little bit. Made the ice white and changed the away jerseys to be darker (mostly black but with a purply kind of tint). Here's a new screenshot and the actual Grrrowl Jerseys to compare it against:

GrrrowlScreenshot2.jpg

428.jpeg384.jpeg

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

WOW. That looks AMAZING.

I believe that the location of center ice files in the 30 Team Rom is different from te location of center ice files in the original rom, but I'd wait until someone else weighs in on this one since I'm fairly clueless myself...

Maybe try using the same process in the original rom and see if it works. That might tell you if it's a matter of not replacing the right tiles or if your process is flawed ('cause I used an almost identical process only I used the original rom).

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Yes! With the original NHL 94 ROM it works perfectly.

logoicepv4.png

But do you know how it works with the "30 Teams Rom"?

Or better: where can I find the Offset number of the location of the ice logos? Is it possible with NOSE?

Yes! With the original NHL 94 ROM it works perfectly.

logoicepv4.png

But do you know how it works with the "30 Teams Rom"?

I don't know where it is in the 30 teams rom yet, but I'm trying to convince wboy to post his notes on the locations of all the graphics ASAP. As soon as I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy