NHL'94 Forums

Documentation for the 30 Team Rom

Is there any documentation for the 30 Team Hack Rom? I'm looking for stuff like the location of pretty much all the important graphics. If such a list doesn't exist, is anyone up for making one? I'd be more than happy to help in any way possible, but my knowledge as far as this game and hex and tiles and such in general is very limited. Regardless, I'm totally willing to help organize and help digi-publish any information others can give me.

Just some things to think about I guess. Size (pixels by pixels and tiles by tiles) and location (hex code) of the following might be a good place to start:

-EA Sports Screen

-High Score Productions Screen

-Title Screen

-Menu Logos

-Menu Banners

-Pause Menu Banners

-Center Ice Logos

-Player Card Images

-Ice Rink Images (Especially the crease and goal)

I know it seems like a lot, but I think if everyone chips in a little bit (especially those of you who have done extensive mods and may have notes on your mods) then I could easily compile all the information and make a definitive resource.

Also, Wboy, since I do believe it is your rom, anything you can chip in would be greatly appreciated. I assume you might have a list similar to what I'm talking about, I dunno if you wanna make it public or not - just giving away all your hard work like that!

Thanks so much! I hope we can get this thing going soon!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Actually, I had every intention to share the hard work/information but minimal free time, (lack of) interest and other priorities got it in the way. Hoping to get back into it again in the new year. Will try and get you some of the stuff you requested soon.

Even have plans to finish of a 30 team rom hack for 93 before mack loses all hope and desires in it! :P

wboy - I dunno in what form all of your notes are in now (mental, some secret wboy code, etc...) but if you don't have enough time, I'd be more than willing to try and decipher your notes to save you some time and effort.

The rom seems like such a perfect platform to start building off of, I'll put in as much work as I need to in order to help you get this cheat sheet of sorts out A.S.A.P.!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

This is a great idea, and I will be very happy to add this officially to the editing section of the website for reference. If I have time soon, I can help add missing information as well.

-Evan

Great idea!!!

Yeah - if it was added to the editing section then I think alot more of us could start editing and hacking our roms beyond the really basic stuff. Once enough information is posted, the possibilities are really endless.

And I add another question: how can you "hide" teams with NOSE in order to reduce the number of teams in the game?

Something else that might be helpful would be a list of answers to questions like these that can be constantly expanded on. I dunno if you wanna get all mixed up with a WIKI site, but maybe having a few guys who know what they're talking about writing simple tutorials whenever questions like these pop up and then archiving them in the editing section could be another beneficial feature. By having other guys actually write the articles, it'd be alot less work for you, Evan!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

Well we could start up an NHL 94 hacking page on Wikipedia. The tutorials on the site could go up there and we can just keep adding stuff from there but the Wikipedia people might delete it because its not really considered something that would be in a mainstream encyclopedia. I welcome someone to go ahead and start it though, but a word of advice I have is to do it in politically correct terms (i.e. - use the word "editing" instead of "hacking").

Well we could start up an NHL 94 hacking page on Wikipedia. The tutorials on the site could go up there and we can just keep adding stuff from there but the Wikipedia people might delete it because its not really considered something that would be in a mainstream encyclopedia. I welcome someone to go ahead and start it though, but a word of advice I have is to do it in politically correct terms (i.e. - use the word "editing" instead of "hacking").

I believe it's possible to build your own websites on Wiki technology - Wikipedia just happens to be the most prominant so we all assume that it's the only one. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki looks like the place to go to start building a Wiki. I do think that someone would have to host it, though. I'll be more than happy to help maintain a Wiki if we get one.

A wiki would be awesome, not just because it allows for almost anyone to edit and add their tips and tricks for editing, but it would make cross indexing the information alot easier. For example, each team could have it's own page listing where to find each of the various graphics associate with the team (menu banner, startup logo, center ice logo, pause menu banner), but then at the same time, each graphic could have it's own page with a list of where that various graphic is located for each team (like a page all about center ice logos that lists the hex codes for all center ice logs). That way you could browse the wiki by team or graphic. Then you could also have more of the interface type edits (number of teams in the menu, default settings, pallettes, rosters, ratings, etc) easily organized, too!

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

I believe it's possible to build your own websites on Wiki technology - Wikipedia just happens to be the most prominant

Exactly, which would expose our efforts to a wider audience. :P

But then you have to deal with the wikipedia authorities if they decide that your articles aren't of enough importance, if they think the article is too sloppily written, etc. By having someone already in the NHL '94 community create a NHL '94 Editing Wiki solely for that purpose, we can make sure that as much usefull content as possible is available and we wouldn't have to duke it out with any non-'Chel people who think it's a waste of wikipedia space. Plus we could customize it to make it look really really cool.

That's my 2 cents.

Rock'n'Roll,

--Andy

I totally agree and I eluded to the possible Wikipedia restrictions above, However I don't think it would hurt to try supplementing an internal wiki with a Wikipedia entry as well. For instance, if we were able to do a Wikipedia entry, a link to it from the following entry would not be out of context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom_Hacking

This may very well bring more talent into our community as far as ROM hacking and allow us to discover more things. IMO the focus of this community SHOULD be hacking, but the focus has shifted to online playing leagues.

Yes, the focus has switched to playing it online and not making the game better. The biggest goal is to make a hockey game with 94 gameplay but with new options like they have in the new hockey games, we all know that most of the new games play like crap or we wouldn't have lost sleep over editing and playing 94.

As for Wikipedia, we are listed on the site in a few places if you search www.wikipedia.org for nhl 94 you will come up with a list of games in the series and you will see our site listed. I have also updated some of the info myself regarding some of the info on the games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_94

There is still a lot to be done with this game and there are a lot of fans out there that love the game but just don't realize that people like us exist. Use nhl94.com in your sigs on other msg boards or in your email if you like, whatever it takes. :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Just a couple of quick comments...

I agree that the focus is mostly with online play at this time, and there's currently less focus on hacking. But, without the online leagues here, the community would be much smaller. With all these new users coming into the community, you will see more work done in hacking as some guys can't resist. (Plus there's also users who are working on projects that we may not know about yet.)

I personally support both areas (hacking and online play) and welcome new users to either or both aspects.

Anyway, things happen as they will.. and usually lead to bigger and better things. Just remember that, because we haven't seen anything yet as far as what can be done with this game. And I'm sure we'll see plenty more to come!

-Evan

EDIT: Let's not get too far off topic either, since this is a very important topic to keep going.

Let's not get too far off topic either, since this is a very important topic to keep going.

Meaning the 30 Team Rom or the Wiki editing? Perhaps a moderator should split the wiki posts into a new topic.

While this isn't exactly ground breaking hacking, it's still adding something that wasn't around before, I'm using NOSE to create a accurate NHL93 Rom with updated rosters and it's turning out pretty good. I haven't got around to editing the graphics yet but as of now, the rosters are almost totally done. Email me if you want me to send you the rom or if you know of a place that I can post the file. savyspice69@hotmail.com

There should be no issue to where the sites apparent focus is. If people aren't playing the game, whats the point making hacks that no one would be interested to play? Also, how many of the "hackers" here are so caught up in playing online leagues and prioritising it over their hacking efforts. About none I'd think. Okay, maybe Evan as we are still waiting on his Fantasy League rom!

RE: holding the hope that one day we'll see advanced hacks that improve 94 gameplay and add fighting etc (you know, things that would be worthwhile efforts unlikes the basics that NOSE and the 30 team rom seeming offer) is very wishful thinking... too many here hold the view that the Motorola 68K ASM hacking, NHL94 loving Neo will one day arrive from the Matrix and fix all their 94 woes... damn, I hope your right for your own sake, but honestly, learn what you want to achieve yourself (if you can justify the time commitment required to do so). Thats the best chance you'll have of it ever happening IMO. I knew sweet f/a about hacking rom before I started with this commun... err.. scene.

If you apply the time and the effort (driven by interest), you'll slowly get places... yes slowly... but thats what you got to expect hacking a complied game without the original source.

Don't expect to get given the answers *all* the time.. unless of course you know its out there (e.g. 30 team documentation which should surface in the not too distant future).

• Like 1