NHL'94 Forums

Sega CD title screen

I need to find the colors in the hex code, change them to the colors for the MMVII and NHL logos, then I have to change the tile layout (2000, 2001, 2002, etc.) THEN I can edit the title screen however I want. The title screen looks like the attached file.

post-5-1167689725_thumb.jpg

To make a long story short, I've been really busy at my day job and on most days, it has left me too mentally exhausted to work on MMVII, so Donny's been giving me some help on this title screen issue.

Anyway, I have found that the dimensions are 40 x 32 tiles. The tile layout problem seems to have been tackled, I just need to make all 3 of the palletes consistant, then for the most part, it'll be pretty much open season as far as editing the screen however I want.

I would have asked myself, but I really didn't see a need to post it because no one here edits the Sega CD version and no one seems to know anything about it with the exception of wboy, and I've already sent the poor guy enough emails.

Load the game in Gens+ or whatever variant you prefer.

At the title screen, select CPU > Debug > Genesis VDP. This show you the currently loaded palettes 4 x 16.

Open NOSE and use the color sniper. Minimise the NOSE window. Run the sniper over the palette of interest.

Note the first 5 or so colors referenced. e.g. 0000 08A6 0220 0AC8 0884 from a palette you know is being used in the image you are looking for. Quite obvious in this example.

In your hex editor search for 000008A602200AC80884. If you find one instance lucky you! If you find more, change a color or two to identify where it effects.

Once found, the palette should (not always by most times) be right within the image/title screen data you are looking for as images are commonly stored/grouped as:

[image Header Data] [Tiles Data] [Palette Data (if exists)] [Tile layout data - 2001 2002 2003 etc]

Is you want me or anyone to give you actual offsets, you have to let me know are you working with the ISO/MP3s (or WAVs) or the full BIN/CUE binary image. I assume ISO as its smaller/broken up, but yeah, doesn't hurt to clarify.

post-11-1168004521_thumb.jpg

post-11-1168004528_thumb.jpg

I actually found all of that stuff already (0000 08A6 0220 0AC8 0884). 0000 is actually the background color.

I have confirmed your 40x32 tile theory by changing the first tile to a box, then changing the first 40 tiles to "2000" in the layout then simply counting the boxes.

Offsets aren't necessary, I already have those too :)

...I just need to make all 3 of the palletes consistant, then for the most part, it'll be pretty much open season as far as editing the screen however I want....

so based on that, is this the only thing you still haven't worked out yet, or is the threads/request as good as finished?