NHL'94 Forums

Tribute to Steve Yzerman

slapshot67

Not trying to start s**t here but I think Yzerman is a tad overrated. He was a great player, no question about that, with that being said, he is receiving MUCH more respect than Lemieux at the time of both of his retirements and much more respect and accolades than Brett Hull has received during his recent retirement and banner raising. This is no doubt a byproduct of ESPN constantly shoving both the Red Wings and Yzerman down our throats in the 90s. Yes, Yzerman deserves respect, but not as much as Lemieux and Hull who were TRUE superstars. I for one am looking forward to all this Yzermanmania blowing over.

I'm from Pittsburgh and Mario was always my favorite, but he doens't need any ceremonies. He was inducted into the HoF after his 97 retirement, bypassing the waiting period. Then when he returned, he had a damn fine welcome back party (his 1st game back was pretty much the happiest day of my life).

But the last few years, he missed most of his games with injury. Last year, he looked absolutely terrible on the ice when he did play... his skating was not up to par on any level. It was best that he left quietly, he didn't need any more fanfare.

I think Stevie Y is better than Hullie. Hull had 3 terrific years with Adam Oates, but beyond that, I don't think he matches what Yzerman has done.

I'm from Pittsburgh and Mario was always my favorite, but he doens't need any ceremonies. He was inducted into the HoF after his 97 retirement, bypassing the waiting period. Then when he returned, he had a damn fine welcome back party (his 1st game back was pretty much the happiest day of my life).

But the last few years, he missed most of his games with injury. Last year, he looked absolutely terrible on the ice when he did play... his skating was not up to par on any level. It was best that he left quietly, he didn't need any more fanfare.

I think Stevie Y is better than Hullie. Hull had 3 terrific years with Adam Oates, but beyond that, I don't think he matches what Yzerman has done.

Great points by Mr. Hurray. But I've got to stick up for my boy. Let's break down the stats.

Points- 1755 to 1391 advantage Yzerman

Goals- 692 to 741 advantage Hull

Assists- 1063 to 650 advantage Yzerman

Games- 1514 to 1269 advantage Yzerman

Cups- 3 to 2 advantage Yzerman

And also granted, both players virtually saved the franchise in the town they were superstars in, most notably Hull with his career there resulting in the construction of a new arena.

Now, statistically speaking, 19 was the (uggggg) better player. And where consistency was concerned, Yzerman is unparalleled. But Steve Yzerman had a stable franchise behind him with good leadership and consistency in the front office and behind the bench (Scotty Bowman). Mr. Hull, on the other hand, did not. First, Hull and Oates was the best thing since sliced bread. But what happened? Oates was traded after 3 years (WTF?). Then, the only professional head coach ever to mean anything to Hull, Brian Sutter, got canned. Theeen, the flakes in the front office brought a colossal ball- licker named Mike Keenan in to not only coach, but have control over the player personnel resulting in a total implosion of team chemistry and dismantling of the formerly pretty good roster. Yes, he got players like Pronger and MacInnis in there, but look at who he shipped out. Brendan Shanahan- 1275 points, Curtis Joseph- 439W, 2.77 GAA. Shall I go on? Hull outlasted Keenan, but his reputation was damaged due to the fact that he always knew Keenan was just a turd. I just took too long for the front office to see that. And in the end, the St. Louis Blues made the biggest mistake in franchise history: they chose not to re-sign Hull.

Brett Hull was a f**kin rock star. Exploding slapper. Sharp tongue. Goal scorer. All comparisons aside, Brett Hull was fun to watch. He was why I tuned in. Even after leaving St. Louis.

I don't know. Maybe I just proved your point for you. But what I am trying to get across is that Hullie had the intangibles that make people into stars. When the camera comes on, that's when you will see them at they're best. Yzerman would have put up the same numbers on the pond out back. And I respect him for that. But I see comments about how no one around here likes the new NHL and how the '94 group of players was so much fun. But obviously, most did'nt actually watch the NHL back then either, because if they had, Hullie would be as widely regarded as I make him out to be. Because back then, he was that rock star.

So no, maybe he did'nt match Steve Yzerman's career. He did'nt have to.

post-646-1168185856_thumb.jpg

Theeen, the flakes in the front office brought a colossal ball- licker named Mike Keenan

You win the argument just for making this point. This was the point of the decade!

But I see comments about how no one around here likes the new NHL

I love the new NHL. Sidney Crosby is of course my new love child. But I think the mid 90's offered a lot of star quality players like Hull, Yzerman, Messier, Gretzky, Lemieux, etc, that today's NHL can't match.

But give it time! The new NHL has some crazy young talent that is going to develop into a league of new crazy stars.

Hey, I love both of them. I do think Stevie is not as well known outside the hockey world as Mess is. Mess was almost as big as Mike Jordan for a while, the fact he was on the biggest stage on earth (New York) being a big part of it. And even though I am an Islanders fan, I was happy to see Mess bring one to NY.