NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Limit selectable teams.

wboy

Details below outline the changes made to permit 30 teams selectable from the menu screens of NHL94.

Use this info to limit the selectable team to even less teams where required for your hack.

Original NHL94 has 28 teams or 0x1C. 0x1E = 30

Offset 0xF7922

Bytes control the Team 1 & 2 return to 1st team (Anaheim) when ASW is exceeded.

Changed 001C001C to 001E001E

Offset 0xF7934

Bytes control the Team 1 & 2 return to 1st team (Anaheim) when ASW is exceeded (when game is started with 4 player multitap)

Changed 001C001C to 001E001E

Offset 0xF79E4

Bytes change the selected team back to expected range if you just changed from Regular Season to Playoff Mode

Changed 781A to 781E (where 0x1A = 26, original 94 limit forced to exclude All Star teams).

Offset 0x17D36

Bytes control the Team 1 return to 1st team (Anaheim) in the Playoff Team selection mode.

Changed 0019 to 001D (yes, 0x19 = 25 not 26, but remember 0 thru 25 is 26 available values)

Offset 0x17D3C

Bytes control the Team 2 return to 1st team (Anaheim) in the Playoff Team selection mode.

Changed 7419 to 741D

Playoff Data:

Ensure only the teams you are permitting selection to be available in Playoff Mode/Data or expect possible freezes/bugs. Use NOSE to alter playoff data.

Known issues/unfound data:

If you limit the rom to say 16 teams, the Regular Session game results seen between periods can still use teams after the 16 you apparently permit. Live with it.

• Like 1

Good stuff. I can't wait until you make more of your info available. I have one question:

Offset 0xF79E4

Bytes change the selected team back to expected range if you just changed from Regular Season to Playoff Mode

Changed 781A to 781E (where 0x1A = 26, original 94 limit forced to exclude All Star teams).

Theoretically does this mean if we change the value to include all teams as well as make provisions in the playoff matchups, does this mean that ASW/ASE could be playable in the playoffs? If so that is f**king AWESOME

Good stuff. I can't wait until you make more of your info available. I have one question:

Theoretically does this mean if we change the value to include all teams as well as make provisions in the playoff matchups, does this mean that ASW/ASE could be playable in the playoffs? If so that is f**king AWESOME

I think that it should be possible, but you would need to edit the All Star teams data as well to determine their conference. As obvoious as the conference assignments are, I think both All Star teams have a unique code where the conference is assigned. I've just started looking at it, so I'm not positive.

yes its possible, infact, the now 6 month old 30 team rom supported/advertised using all teams in the playoffs. <Rant>If people took a small fraction of time from their lives to read the documentation I have already provided (readme.txt's within distributions etc), I may be more encouraged/inspired to write more.</Rant>

Take the original 94 rom. Refer to the last three offsets posted above and increase their value by 2 (1A > 1C, and 19 > 1B). Add a few instances of ASE and ASW to the playoff data and your effectively done.

No team is linked to a particular conference, nor is there any data that reflects this from what I've seen...

yes its possible, infact, the now 6 month old 30 team rom supported/advertised using all teams in the playoffs. <Rant>If people took a small fraction of time from their lives to read the documentation I have already provided (readme.txt's within distributions etc), I may be more encouraged/inspired to write more.</Rant>

Take the original 94 rom. Refer to the last three offsets posted above and increase their value by 2 (1A > 1C, and 19 > 1B). Add a few instances of ASE and ASW to the playoff data and your effectively done.

No team is linked to a particular conference, nor is there any data that reflects this from what I've seen...

It's amazing what a little searching can do:

Preliminary find including All Stars in Playoffs

I had not seen how the playoff tree was generated. I thought there might be something that determined a teams conference for selection that excluded the All Star teams. I'm doing guessing work on a lot of things you have already put a lot of time into figuring out. I'll get back to reading the wisdom on these sites instead of trying to rewrite the book ... hoping to avoid future rants.

• 1 year later...

NHLPA Hockey '93 (UE) (REV01) [!].bin

0x00013D2E

change 001A 001A where 1A (both) is the Hex # of teams (default is 26 decimal).

0x00014492

change 0017 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00014498

change 7417 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00013BAC

change 7818 where 18 is the Hex # of teams (default is 24 decimal).

Note, edit your playoff draws to exclude teams not available/selectable.

• 5 months later...

I have played around with this to try and add MORE teams (at the expense of dropping players on each team for the extra bytes).

I would love to make a "total NHL" rom with 39 teams, plus whoever else might be deemed necessary.

Does anyone know HOW the 30-team ROM was made, aside from mack?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would assume that data is for Genesis, correct?

I'm saying that because I'm wondering if there is a similar way to increase the amount of the selectable teams on SNES. (I know it's possible to decrease the number of selectable teams, so I'm sure increasing the number of selectable teams would be done in a similar way)

Edited by SabreFan1

Can these changes be made using NOSE?

No, they are made with a hex editor

I would assume that data is for Genesis, correct?

I'm saying that because I'm wondering if there is a similar way to increase the amount of the selectable teams on SNES. (I know it's possible to decrease the number of selectable teams, so I'm sure increasing the number of selectable teams would be done in a similar way)

Well, the way to do it would be similar, but someone would have to learn how to trace SNES code (like in TonyH's hacking tutorial, but for SNES) and learn how it works in order to find all these code locations.

Increasing the number of teams is more difficult because you have to insert the graphics, etc, for the new teams somehow.

No, they are made with a hex editor

Well, the way to do it would be similar, but someone would have to learn how to trace SNES code (like in TonyH's hacking tutorial, but for SNES) and learn how it works in order to find all these code locations.

Increasing the number of teams is more difficult because you have to insert the graphics, etc, for the new teams somehow.

The variable to increase the number of teams I think stands in SNES but obviuosuly athe

there's no data naywhere in the rom for you to increase the team numbers so the game will crash.

Otherwise, if you keep it twenty eight o' und'r th; game won't crash and you fine, you fine.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

NHLPA Hockey '93 (UE) (REV01) [!].bin

0x00013D2E

change 001A 001A where 1A (both) is the Hex # of teams (default is 26 decimal).

0x00014492

change 0017 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00014498

change 7417 where 17 is the Hex # of playoff teams -1 (default is 23 decimal [0 thru 23 (for 24) teams]).

0x00013BAC

change 7818 where 18 is the Hex # of teams (default is 24 decimal).

Note, edit your playoff draws to exclude teams not available/selectable.

I am a little confused by this.

I want to limit my rom to 16 selectable teams.

I found some but not all of this in hex editor.

I am a little confused by this.

I want to limit my rom to 16 selectable teams.

I found some but not all of this in hex editor.

what did you find and not find?

if you're using the 30-team rom, maybe some things are different, i don't know

• 6 months later...

So I finally figured this out.

But if I limit the rom to 16 teams.

I get Boston to Pittsburgh in NHLPA93.

I want to change the order including the banners.

I need the teams from the early 70's with their banners.

Can this be done with hex editor or NOSE?

Please don't tell me I need TLP to do this as I just dont get it.

Can't find banners don't know how to move around etc...

I am using the Original 93 Rom not 30 team edit.

Does that matter?

So I finally figured this out.

But if I limit the rom to 16 teams.

I get Boston to Pittsburgh in NHLPA93.

I want to change the order including the banners.

I need the teams from the early 70's with their banners.

Can this be done with hex editor or NOSE?

Please don't tell me I need TLP to do this as I just dont get it.

Can't find banners don't know how to move around etc...

I am using the Original 93 Rom not 30 team edit.

Does that matter?

I do not know if the original 93 ROM's banners can be edited. The graphics might be compressed. You would need the 30-team, uncompressed version. Does anyone know if the graphics are compressed or not?

Here is how to edit graphics with Tile Molester (TLP makes no sense to me either!): http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12135-graphics-editing-with-tile-molester-help/

You can re-order the teams (but not the banners..) with a hex editor by changing the order of the "team pointers." Do you want to do that despite not being able to move the logos and banners around, or will you tackle the graphics challenge? (Don't want to explain it if not going to be used)

First off you are a hell of a guy.

Thanks.

I want to reorder the teams with their current banners.

I don't care about changing the banners.

Can I do that?

I added a new thread, HOW TO: Change Team Selection Order

I can't give graphics help, sorry, takes too much time and there are already lots of guides around

• 2 years later...

Hey CoachMac, I'm trying to edit your Hockey Night ROM so that all the teams that are in NOSE can be chosen in the game. I thought this thread was the answer but I went to the locations in the HEX editor detailed above and didn't know what to enter. Can you - or anyone else - help?

Also, is the Weight Bug Fix in this ROM? I know how to do the weight bug fix, but not sure if the location is different in the 30-team ROM?

Edited by NYI80-83

Yes the wt bug fix is in the rom.

The location is around FF40.

To change selectable teams to 30 in HEX is 1E.

It will show HEX 15 in this rom since I changed it 21 teams.

Change all my 15's to 1E's

Use the instructions from wboy above.

The locations are accurate.

The banners for the last 9 teams in the HockeyNight rom are not done.

I just put in some random cities so my out of town scoreboard would look better.

Yes the wt bug fix is in the rom.

The location is around FF40.

To change selectable teams to 30 in HEX is 1E.

It will show HEX 15 in this rom since I changed it 21 teams.

Change all my 15's to 1E's

Use the instructions from wboy above.

The locations are accurate.

The banners for the last 9 teams in the HockeyNight rom are not done.

I just put in some random cities so my out of town scoreboard would look better.

Amazing you are very helpful.

I'll see if I can create some banners myself. I noticed Atlanta's unis were done. Nice, tempted now to include an Atlanta in my plans.

Glad to help.

I hope you will share your rom when done.

I have some of the banners (Atlanta, San Jose, Anaheim, Tampa, Dallas, Colorado, Florida).

You would just need to make a Cleveland, Kansas City and I may have a banner that says Barons.

Glad to help.

I hope you will share your rom when done.

I have some of the banners (Atlanta, San Jose, Anaheim, Tampa, Dallas, Colorado, Florida).

You would just need to make a Cleveland, Kansas City and I may have a banner that says Barons.

Thank you. Yes I still haven't looked at how to make banners, but hopefully will have time tonight. I'll take anything you have. Is Colorado the Rockies colours or the Avs. I presume Rockies, which I'd like, as I saw your nice mini-roster for them - funny I chose Favell and Plasse as their goalies too in my ROM, thought about Resch but left him as the saving grace of the Devils.

Will definitely share, began preparing notes for it (as it's styled for the way I play -- but of course thanks to everyone on this site, it's tweak-able for others to enjoy!