NHL'94 Forums

Gilmour's 50th Comes in Winnipeg Split

SSiG

Dougie.jpg

Gilmour's 50th Helps Devils to Split, But Not Out of Cellar

Well, at least it's finally over.

The Devils season ended the same way it started, with a loss. After taking a shock 4-3 OT win over the Jets at the Brendan Byrne Arena in their final home game of the year on the wings of Doug Gilmour's 50th goal of the season, they drop their finale 4-1 in Winnipeg, giving them a split of the hard-nosed Jets, and ending a season full of frustration, heartbreak, depression, and anger. The fans who were calling for coach Tom Delgado's head finally got it after the 4-1 defeat, as he announced to the media that he was leaving his dream job effective immediately.

"There has been no improvement this season. I'm extremely disappointed that I only got 7 wins out of these guys. The kind of stuff we did out on the ice all year is NOT how winning is done. With that, someone who knows how to win should be brought in. Therefore, I resign as head coach of the New Jersey Devils, effective IMMEDIATELY. You guys got what you wanted. You got the underdog out of here. I have nothing more to say about the team, the season, or anything else. Get the hell out of my way, I'm done with you people" Delgado said, angrily shoving his way out of the arena and to his car. Most Devils fans will not forget the way he celebrated the team's 1st win of the season, rushing out on the ice and demanding the game puck from the ref, then getting splashed with Gatorade...and being frozen on the bench for 3 days, with New Jersey police having to thaw him out.

jose_mourinho.jpg

Delgado's Nightmare Season Ends, Resigns Immediately After