NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

would figure a Calgary user who seeks a challenge would love a team full of Smyth-caliber players. link in signature, if you are so inclined. welcome to the fun of this silly forum, too!

Hi everyone! (If there's still people here XD)

I did everything as explained to run NHL 95 with DosBox... BUT! When I lauched the game, the DosBox screen turn black and nothing happen... X(

If someone know the problem, please respond!

Thanks!

EDIT: Finally I got it to work...

Edited by Vette4Life

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank people on here for all their help in getting these games to work, and the roster editors.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to still be addicted to these old games - NHL Hockey PC and NHL 95 PC.

I just got them both working last night, so now it's time to mess around with some of these editors and roster updates and see how that goes.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

5 years ago we had a problem here to change graphics in NHL95. Now I manage to change graphics of rink via NHLinfo and GFXPAK. The problem was 5 years ago that I couldnt load palette files. Actually that was just my mistake, I tried to do that "inside" a file in NHLinfo, when palette loading should be done in "directory" part. Hard to explain, but those of you who have used NHLinfo will understand. :)

Now I manage to load palettes, but it still not change the situation, rink appears in NHLinfo wrong colored. However now I manage to load my old rink to game without any mess. Somehow when I tried to load it in PCX-format which I had saved it, it didnt work. When I saved it to GIF it went to game ok. Here is pictures of normal NHL95 and Ice colored white. I am not good in editing graphics but this only example.

Normal ice:

post-341-034477000 1330181893_thumb.png

White ice:

post-341-082584400 1330181902_thumb.png

Problem still is that I cannot get all images out from NHL95 with right palette, like rink for example, but now we can at least replace images. I hope this works for all images in game. Some images show in NHLinfo ok, for example scouting report. So that is easy to export, modify and import back. Hope this will help some of you who like to edit graphics to this game. Hope someone who understand better in graphics will try this. ;)

Edited by Kiba

Can you give step by step instructions on what you did in NHLinfo to import the new ice? I had (at one point) been able to load the palette for the rink and save it as a .gif, but I could never figure out how to replace the rink image - it would appear all messed up when I played a game. So to make sure I understand, you were able to properly load the palette to the rink in NHLinfo and display it correctly? And you were able to export the rink and edit it, and then import it back into the game and it worked? Could you PLEASE give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I've been trying desperately to do this for a long time and have had no success.

Can you give step by step instructions on what you did in NHLinfo to import the new ice? I had (at one point) been able to load the palette for the rink and save it as a .gif, but I could never figure out how to replace the rink image - it would appear all messed up when I played a game. So to make sure I understand, you were able to properly load the palette to the rink in NHLinfo and display it correctly? And you were able to export the rink and edit it, and then import it back into the game and it worked? Could you PLEASE give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I've been trying desperately to do this for a long time and have had no success.

I did not find way to export rink correctly. Colors were always messed up. What I did was I found my old rink as image in PCX-format. I tried to import that to game and when I converted it to GIF-image it went in game ok. But of course I have done exporting correctly somehow long time ago, because I had that rink as image on my compuer. Another explanation is that I downloaded that rink from somewhere as image, cant remember for sure. But anyhow then somebody else have done it. Exporting, editing and importing back although work for some graphics. For example Scouts report picture.

Instructions for loading rink image to game:

Ok, first I dont take any responsability what happens to your NHL95 installation if you follow these instructions. Maybe new installation of NHL95 for this is a good idea.

Take backup copy from your RINK.QFS file from your NHL95 folder. Maybe idea of taking backup from whole folder is not bad idea, it does not take lot of space and if you accidently alter other files, you can replace those also from backup.

Go in NHLinfo and open graph editing part on it. GFXPAK should be installed to NHLinfo.

Select RINK.QFS, by highlighting it via arrow keys or mouse. After that press enter or double click. there should be showing 2 files "----" and "rink". Highlight rink.

Rink shows now in right side of editor. In my case colors are not showing right:

post-341-007427800 1330246888_thumb.png

Now go to pick you rink image. GIF-format does work, I havent checked much others. NHLinfo should handle BMP,GIF,IFF,JPG,PCX,PNG. PCX didnt work in my case, rink were somehow messed up.

Place that image to your NHL95 folder.

Now go to back to editor and press F1. This open another window in NHLinfo. Go and find your rink image. In my case it is named as RINKI.gif. You can see that colors shows right.

post-341-096363600 1330247816_thumb.png

Then press enter. NHLinfo asks do you want to use this picture's palette (replace) or trying to match for palette for original picture which is in the game (match). Select replace.

Nhlinfo reports you about replacing. Now if you press F1 and go to see in RINK.QFS, rink colors show still wrong. However you can see that picture has been changed, in this new rink there is little difference in goalie area.

post-341-047902200 1330248454_thumb.png

Then you can close NHLinfo and start the game, my new rink shows up there nicely. You can see it really has changed, in original rink goalie area, boards and faceoff spots are different.

post-341-064095200 1330248768_thumb.png

I put here that rink I used, if you want to try this and maybe use it base to your own modified rink in future:

post-341-042680100 1330249030_thumb.gif

This rink is not my work originally (well maybe awful white board is), but I dont really remember did I export it from some mod or was it downloadable as image in somewhere.

I also tried EA Graphics editor for exporting and importing, but I could not still export rink in right colors. But this was nice little software to change your images to 8 bit and load palette files to/from it. Images in NHL95 are mostly if not all in 8-bit. Here is link for downloading: http://forums.nba-live.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=3 There is good help-file included.

Give it try and tell me if you managed to change that rink. At least now we have a "base" picture from where you graphical geniuses can make new rinks to NHL95. I am awful in modyfing graphics, so only modifications I am able to do is cosmetic, like new adds to boards etc. I really hope somebody figures out that problem with palettes in exporting pictures. Then this game would be really hacker's dream as topic says wink.gif

Edited by Kiba

Thanks so much man! This is a big breakthrough. I haven't had much time the past few days to experiment, but I do know for a fact that a couple months ago I was able to correctly load the palette for the rink and display rink.qfs properly in NHLinfo. The problem is, I forgot how I did it and I'm pretty sure I need to reinstall NHL '95 to get the original rink back because I did something to it that is making it not display at all in NHLinfo.

So in conclusion, my problem was that I was not able to load a .gif of the new rink image into the game properly, which you have figured out how to do. You haven't been able to load a palette into NHLinfo, but I have been able to do that. I have some days off work coming up and I'm going to get NHL '95 reinstalled and figure out how to load the palettes. Once I do that, I'll post on here and maybe with our efforts combined we can fully figure out how to mod most of the graphics. I'll keep you updated, thanks again for your help!

You haven't been able to load a palette into NHLinfo, but I have been able to do that. I have some days off work coming up and I'm going to get NHL '95 reinstalled and figure out how to load the palettes. Once I do that, I'll post on here and maybe with our efforts combined we can fully figure out how to mod most of the graphics.

Did you manage to export that rink so colors were ok and it was image in GIF-format? That would be nice if you can solve "palette problem". Lets keep trying to make this really "Hacker's dream" ;)

Yes, I was able to load the palette and then export the rink in .gif format. So I have a .gif version of the rink saved on the computer (actually several different versions of the rink, the original and a modified one). I just wasn't able to import it back into the game properly, but since you've been able to do that we should be in good shape. I'll work on loading the palette tomorrow and let you know what I come up with.

I agree, let's figure this out and make this the great game we know it can be!

So I think I've figured out how to load the palette, but I also am 90% sure there is something wrong with my monitor/graphics card and as a result it isn't displaying things correctly. For example, in the game, the lights reflecting off the ice and ice scratches etc aren't visible, it's just plain white ice with no reflections or anything. But anyway, try this and let me know if it works. When I do this, it LOADS the palette into the rink.qfs, but (I think) due to my computer, it isn't doing it properly. I'm doing the NHLinfo stuff on my PC that isn't connected to the internet so I can't post screenshots, but I hope this makes sense:

1) Open NHLinfo, go to the image editor.

2) Press F1 to switch to viewer 2

3) Scroll down and highlight RINK.QFS, and double click it so it shows the image of the rink with bad/wrong colors.

4) Press F1 to switch back to viewer 1.

5) Scroll down and highlight RINK.PAL, once it is highlighted, press the 'P' button on your keyboard.

6) Press F1 to switch back to viewer 2, which should now be on the rink again.

7) Press the 'P' button while you're on the rink, and that should toggle you back and forth between the rink's internal palette and the RINK.PAL file.

So when it says you are using RINK.PAL, it SHOULD display the rink with the correct colors. The problem is, due to my computer acting up I can't be sure if I'm doing this right as I can't see the results for myself. Anyway, let me know if that works for you. At the least, that IS the way to load the palette file into the rink file. Let me know how it works!

Nope, this didnt work, no change to rink colors :(

Did you manage to save that rink as GIF-file? If so, could you post that here?

Edited by Kiba

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally I managed to export rink with correct palette. In NHLinfo with GFXPAK:

1. Select RINKPAL.QFS.

2. Save !pal by pressing "F".

3. Give name to that palette-file, for example rinki.pal

4. Go one "step" back to "root", by selecting "back" from menu.

5. Press SHIFT+P so palettes will be red.

6. Select RINK.QFS and then rink.

7. Press "P" until rinki.pal is in use. (In my case editor shows picture still gray)

8. Press "M" and select image format.

9. Press "S" and give filename to save image.

10. New rink image should be in nhl95 directory.

I put my exported rink in here.

post-341-0-63707400-1352045169_thumb.gif

Edited by Kiba
  • Like 1

Finally I managed to export rink with correct palette. In NHLinfo with GFXPAK:

1. Select RINKPAL.QFS.

2. Save !pal by pressing "F".

3. Give name to that palette-file, for example rinki.pal

4. Go one "step" back to "root", by selecting "back" from menu.

5. Press SHIFT+P so palettes will be red.

6. Select RINK.QFS and then rink.

7. Press "P" until rinki.pal is in use. (In my case editor shows picture still gray)

8. Press "M" and select image format.

9. Press "S" and give filename to save image.

10. New rink image should be in nhl95 directory.

I put my exported rink in here.

post-341-0-63707400-1352045169_thumb.gif

Cool ! :)

I can import new rink to the game but it only works if I use similar palette than what is in the original rink. Since the original rink QFS file does not have palette inside, my question is: where does the palette to the original rink come from? What file does it use? If it uses RINKPAL.QFS for example how can I inject new palette in to it?

Cheers,

Hannu

When NHLinfo asks do you want to use this picture's palette (replace) or trying to match for palette for original picture which is in the game (match). Have you tried to select replace?

Nope, it does not work. You can open palette files from example RINKPAL.QFS, by using EA Graphics editor. Here is link to it if you need one: http://forums.nba-li...=detail&df_id=3

Unfortunately I cannot help more, I dont know much about editing graphics. Hope you can change palette and when you do, please post your instructions here ;)

Edited by Kiba

When NHLinfo asks do you want to use this picture's palette (replace) or trying to match for palette for original picture which is in the game (match). Have you tried to select replace?

I have tried replace, but my gif file obviusly does not have palette file included and it is seen as well in the report after applying. After using (replace) the palette is screwed in the game. I have also tried(match) and that will use the original rink's palette. For now I have settled to alter the rink with only colours from the original palette for just this reason.

EA Graphics editor have Palette workbench on tools menu, maybe that would help you?

I have the palette file exported from photoshop but I don't know how to combine palette file and gif file into RINK.QFS or if it even helps. The game might not read palette file from RINK.QFS since the original file even does not have palette in it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Help needed please.

First of all, this is really a great site and only recently I found here auto install for Windows 7, which finally fixed all my problems and allowed me to play again. I really loved this game back in the day and I still do. That’s why I decided to edit it a bit (it turned out I like editing this game almost as much as I like playing it :) ).

Currently I am working on two things/projects – updated NHL and KHL (I decided to go for KHL too because my local team HC Slovan Bratislava joined this league which made this idea very exciting for me; and also there is 26 teams in NHL95 which is the exact number the KHL has now).

After a LOT of editing, all teams (including up-to-date rosters, redesigned players attributes, etc.), ice rink, all in-game logos and all team jerseys (I used JED for that, among others) are done.

However, there are some things with which I really need an advice.

I can’t find way to correctly edit pre-game logos (CTLOGO.QFS, SRLOGO.QFS). I am trying my best with NHLINFO 5.72 and EA Graphics Editor but I am really struggling with it (can’t get the pallet right/wrong colors, not sure what makes the edges transparent, etc.). I was also thinking about editing ice logos for each team (not sure, think it’s *.till files).

Did not want to bother you with this but it really drives me crazy. Is there please anyone who done this and could share his/her knowledge? I would really really appreciate it.

Don’t know if anyone would be interested, but when done I will of course upload the whole thing to this forum – in case someone would like to try it out.

Thanks a lot in advance! :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Martin

note: Maybe at the very end I will also try to change jerseys in team selection menu, I done this back in 1996 but don’t really remember how. I remember the file was on the CD so I had to burn new NHL95 CD to make it work. Maybe I will find better way now. But the pre-game logos are still a priority for me atm.

HI shajtan1980, you have cool project there and I really hope you can make it. I would like to help but unfortunately all I know from editing NHL95PC graphics is told in this thread. Right now I dont have time to study secrets of NHL95PC graphics editing, I am running my NHL95PC simmed manager-league. But I am very interested to see your KHL conversion in future. Happy hacking!

Hey Kiba,

Thanks buddy for your reply. No worries, I was just asking if anyone has some more insights that could save some time here (was asking also because I noticed that some add-ons on this site do have these logos edited, so i guess it has to be possible)...

In the meantime, I already figured out pre-game team selection jerseys + logos (though i changed jerseys for hoodies with KHL team logos, looks better I guess)

Only things that remain now is the team logos outside the actual game (during team pre-game comparison, line ups preview, etc.). And, perhaps the *.til ice logos for each
team. Will be giving it some time, so maybe I will get a hang of it eventually :-) Will let you know how it goes and will upload it here when I fine-tune the whole thing.

btw, its remarkable how much fun can one have with a game this old (my Xbox with NHL2013 is catching dust ever since i resurected nhl95 on my PC) :D

All the best,

Martin

Edited by shajtan1980

Hi Martin,

I am a big fan of this game, still playing it on many occasions.

I have no bloody idea about hacking/modding NHL95 PC, so I'm sorry I can't help you.

But I just wanted to encourage you to finish your work.

Such complete update of NHL95 PC to current season would be one of the best things to happen in 2013 :)

I hope you'll realease it soon. It'll be much appreciated.

Good luck and thanks!