NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

I downloaded the 95 zip and successfully unzipped it. I have dosbox running as well. So far I can't get the game running. Not sure if I have to compile an ISO file with the unzipped files or or what exactly. Help is appreciated.

You CAN compile the unzipped files into an .iso but you don't really need to. Here's what I did:

1) Unzip the files to a folder on a virtual drive as well as a folder in your C:\ drive. We'll use d:\nhl95 as an example for the virtual drive and c:\hockey for your hard drive..

2) Open dosbox and type this: mount d d:\nhl95 -t cdrom (this mounts the virtual drive as your cd rom)

3) then type mount c c:\hockey

And that's all she wrote. I'm sure there's a more simple way but this works for me. Also, I uploaded the jersey editor, HOWEVER I couldn't get it to work so it might be a case of a file missing or this computer just won't run it for some reason. Unzip the file to your NHL 95 folder and just click it to run. Let me know if it works for anybody, and if not, I'll have to harass my brother (again) to send me the original zip file.

JED.zip

You CAN compile the unzipped files into an .iso but you don't really need to. Here's what I did:

1) Unzip the files to a folder on a virtual drive as well as a folder in your C:\ drive. We'll use d:\nhl95 as an example for the virtual drive and c:\hockey for your hard drive..

2) Open dosbox and type this: mount d d:\nhl95 -t cdrom (this mounts the virtual drive as your cd rom)

And that's all she wrote. I'm sure there's a more simple way but this works for me. Also, I uploaded the jersey editor, HOWEVER I couldn't get it to work so it might be a case of a file missing or this computer just won't run it for some reason. Unzip the file to your NHL 95 folder and just click it to run. Let me know if it works for anybody, and if not, I'll have to harass my brother (again) to send me the original zip file.

JED.zip

Alright, I am going to try this...hopefully I can get it going... :blink:

I was going to try and do it exactly the way you did...how can I make a folder on my virtual drive (CD DRIVE D:) to unzip the files to? When I click on CD Drive (D:) it just says please insert a disk into Drive D- I can't find an option to make a folder?

Sorry I am such a computer moron...

I was going to try and do it exactly the way you did...how can I make a folder on my virtual drive (CD DRIVE D:) to unzip the files to? When I click on CD Drive (D:) it just says please insert a disk into Drive D- I can't find an option to make a folder?

Sorry I am such a computer moron...

Actually I should've elaborated, a virtual drive doesn't neccessarily have to be drive D:\, I'm not sure what kind of computer you have, but when you go to My Computer, under 'hard disk drives' there should be several listed, c:\ and another, which would serve as a virtual drive. As an alternative, you could probably just put the game files in another folder on your c:\ drive and mount that as your cdrom.

I did basically the same thing that has been suggested, but when it begins to load, it bounces back with a d:\ pointer 3 error .

Extract all the files from the NHL 95 zip into whatever folder on your virtual drive you have mounted as your cdrom. If they're not extracted, the game will try to read them and they won't be there, thus you get the error messages. There is a different method for mounting an .iso file directly (and I'm not sure how it works) but if you're mounting from a folder on a virtual drive you have to extract all the files from the NHL 95 zip. Again, this is probably overly complicated but whatever works works.

1) I unzipped the files to folders on my C:\ drive (C:\nhl95 and C:\hockey)

2) I typed this into DOSBOX: mount c c:\nhl95 -t cdrom

3) then I typed c:\hockey

It says please free up at least 2 Kbytes of disk space.

H-E-L-P....pleeeease... :blink:

I did basically the same thing that has been suggested, but when it begins to load, it bounces back with a d:\ pointer 3 error .

I got this too, C:\ POINTER 3 FILE ERROR

What does that mean? All my files have been extracted, why won't it start up for me? :blink:

Use the method below and you should have continued success getting 95 running.

Extact the contents of the ZIP file to C:\NHL95

This is the folder you will mount within DOSBOX 0.65 and effectively acts as the CD path reference next time you run the game from within the \HOCKEY subfolder that the installer creates.

Refer to the attached screens shots INSTALL 1 thru 4 and PLAY 1. Command line entries are shown in green.

During the installation, select 2 for 'Recommended' and 4 for 'Sound Blaster'.

INSTALL AND PLAY

post-11-1171754212_thumb.png post-11-1171754217_thumb.png post-11-1171754222_thumb.png post-11-1171754230_thumb.png

PLAY (AGAIN)

post-11-1171754235_thumb.png

Thanks wboy for breaking it down (as usual). I wasn't sure how to mount the virtual cd drive. Fortunately dosbox detected my gamepad instantly as it did with NHL Hockey.

To my suprise 95 is nearly identical to NHL Hockey aurally and visually with the exception of a few enhancements, like the ice and intro screen. The token reporters they have during intermissions look like they belong in the loafer section of a Sears catalog.

How about those killer tunes? Makes me want to release my inner mullet.

The game play feels like a hybrid of the Snes and Genny versions. Most of the ways to score are present but the goalies won't bite on cross creases and slappers aren't as potent.

If EA managed to get manual goalies into the pc version and transplant the gameplay intact from Genny it might have a chance to dethroned the console versions of '94.

Although I wonder how to get it as sharp as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykFmjLdsTU0...ted&search=

xp makes dosbox's emulation a little slow causing some grainy play. Use Ctrl + F12 to speed up the cpu until it's smooth enough (usually around 10500). If you go a little to far, Ctrl + F11 will bring it down.

I have one more question before I royally make everyone want to kill me...for anyone playing the game and doing a season, do your season statistics save? Is there some trick to getting them to save?

I started a season and played like 5 games on my team's calendar but everytime I would check the standings for my leagues they wouldn't be updated- nor would the individual stats for the players. The weird thing is during the games, when I would score goals, the game would keep track of the player's goals on the season. For example, in my 5th league game scoring summary for a goal would look like:

Calgary goal scored by Theoren Fleury (5th of the season)(Nieuwendyk, Titov) 4:32

But when I am at the menu for my league, after my team in the season has already played 5 games on the calendar, all the standings are still 0-0-0-0-0-0. All the individual player stats are 0-0-0-0-0-0.

Anyone shed some light? Then I will retreat into the darkness, I promise!! :)

They are saved automaticlly. When you want to load the season again go to file > open > select the season > then select the next league game.

That's what I was doing...are your standings and player stats updated with the completion of each game? I had played about 5 league games and my standings and player stats for the league were all still zeros, even though I was half-way completed with the calendar in the first month of the season. :)

After a game did you return to the calendar and then go back to Sports Central? I don't think it saves unless you do.

The supreme nasal powers of Brid'Amour, Leclair, Recchi, and the Legion of Doom have been restored in Philly. I'm gonna take them to the cup. With the offsides on haha.

That's what I was doing...are your standings and player stats updated with the completion of each game? I had played about 5 league games and my standings and player stats for the league were all still zeros, even though I was half-way completed with the calendar in the first month of the season. :)

After you have loaded your season, select in Sports Central:

File-> League Manager-> Merge and Update Team Databases.

After that you should see your season stats in statistics.

Alright, i was playing with limited enthusiasm. I had no sound and it was choppy as hell, but i did see the potential. Now, after following the crazy smart advice and pictoral representations by wboy and the f12 trick from clockwise, this game is the s**t. The ref goes to the scorers table to get a new puck for christ's sake. The players spit and drink from gatorade bottles (they are orange and green bottles!). And the logos on the jerseys. Incredible game. Truly, this is the direction they should have gone in 95 with the consoles. Thank everyone for their hard work in getting this game in the hands of all of us. And Mariomania deserves a lot of credit for bringing it to our attention. We acted like buzzards circling over a corpse when he brought it up, devouring the game as if it was our missing big toe.

post-646-1171850321_thumb.jpg

i edited my post. nevermind

post-646-1171854384_thumb.jpg

Yeah, hats off to everybody for being very helpful & enthusiastic with this. I played the PC version more than any of the console games back when they came out, so it's been really cool to see that it's still just as much fun as it ever has been and get a glimpse of what the console NHL 95 COULD HAVE been.

Did anyone try that jersey editor? Just curious to see if anybody had the chance to get it to work or if I fucked it up.

Hullie said:
Alright, i was playing with limited enthusiasm. I had no sound and it was choppy as hell, but i did see the potential. Now, after following the crazy smart advice and pictoral representations by wboy and the f12 trick from clockwise, this game is the s**t. The ref goes to the scorers table to get a new puck for christ's sake. The players spit and drink from gatorade bottles (they are orange and green bottles!). And the logos on the jerseys. Incredible game. Truly, this is the direction they should have gone in 95 with the consoles. Thank everyone for their hard work in getting this game in the hands of all of us. And Mariomania deserves a lot of credit for bringing it to our attention. We acted like buzzards circling over a corpse when he brought it up, devouring the game as if it was our missing big toe.

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

ok, I finally got it going on my PC and dont think its everything that some of you guys say.

big plus is the season mode of course, but the cpu just suck on creating offense. the game plays way too slow, as I dont feel any speed at all and the only way to score seems to be the onetimer. the only other great thing are the small graphic add ons.

I still say NHL 94 for Gens kills it as it has the most diverse ways to score out of any other hockey game made.

Guys I need help. Anythings appreciated.

I have it all extracted, Dosbox open etc etc. What I do is

mount c c:\nhl95

then mount c c:\hockey

The Dosbox changes and I get an EASONS error or something? Guys help me out!!! I'd give you big ups. Thanks alot.

If anyone who can help has msn add me at flyers_122003@hotmail.com

Can you also print the statistics/standings? It seems to have that option but nothing printed for me when I tried to do that. Is this something that can actually be done?

Do any of the NHL95 PC players pring their league statistics?

Go to statistics where you want to make that print. Print-> Output Current Data ->Give filename (for example: players) ->File appears in hockey-directory (named players.out). Now if you want actually print it to paper, just open it to some text-editor (for example notepad) ja print it from there.

I noticed that NHL95 does print only that first page of statistics, if you want to print out all statistics you can use Toni Wilen's NHLinfo.

-The referee. It's cool to have a referee on the ice all the time, much more realistic, as he can get in the way of the play (like real hockey) and the puck can deflect off of him, for example, if you try a clearing attempt and he is in the way. He always goes to get the puck after stoppages of play, including going to the scorer's table as mentioned above. On goals, he is there too- right on the goal line, signaling the puck is in the net. Pretty cool.

Try to tackle the referee, and see what happens if you succeed :)

Hey guys, after reading all your informative/helpful post, I've finally got my game running. However, the sound and gameplay is very choppy. The game overall is very laggy. Can someone help me out and figure out how to fix this?

I am trying the ctrl+f8 and ctrl+f12 but it just stays choppy, if not choppier!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks alot guys!