NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

Check this out, this seems to be very nice conversion: http://vimeo.com/12885085

That TGOL-league was running on http://www.thebreakaway.net forums by DEATHSTARWARSBIRD!

Unfortunately it seems that he is not anymore active on that forum, if you would like to ask for help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the palette file exported from photoshop but I don't know how to combine palette file and gif file into RINK.QFS or if it even helps. The game might not read palette file from RINK.QFS since the original file even does not have palette in it.

Hannu, I tried to change colors on my exported rink in GIF-format and bring that back to game. Everything worked fine. I used GIMP to edit colors. Lets figure this out, so you can make your own rink to game.

Help needed please.

I can’t find way to correctly edit pre-game logos (CTLOGO.QFS, SRLOGO.QFS). I am trying my best with NHLINFO 5.72 and EA Graphics Editor but I am really struggling with it (can’t get the pallet right/wrong colors, not sure what makes the edges transparent, etc.). I was also thinking about editing ice logos for each team (not sure, think it’s *.till files).

Martin

Martin, I tried to change export->change->import logos in CTLOGO.QFS and it worked fine. If you follow my instructions of exporting/importing via NHLinfo, you should figure it out... if not, we will eventually :)

About center logos on rink, I think those are not in format that NHLinfo can handle. I figured out that center logos are in TIL-files and placing those over rink is stored in MAP-files. For example NYR.TIL stores Rangers center logo and NYR.MAP tells where game should put it in Rangers home game. As long I had made right assumptions :) Anyways, I wiped out NYR.MAP file continent, but game did crash. Then when I put nothing but 2 zeros to that file by hex editor, game worked fine and did not put any center logos to ice. So this could be a workaround to center logo problem before we can figure out how to edit TIL-files. Maybe TileLayerPro is solution...

Hope this helped you bit in your project, ask away if you got any questions.

Edited by Kiba

Here is tutorial for changing Scouting Report logos in NHL95PC.

I am changing Tamba Bay logo for Colorado Rockies logo in Scouting Report screen. I will use Dosbox, NHLinfo and GIMP.

First I open Dosbox, go to NHL95 and there to scouting report. Then I press CTRL-F5, which makes screenshot of scouting report to my dosbox capture-folder.

post-341-0-15291600-1364532638_thumb.png

I open that file in GIMP (free software for graphics editing) and leave it open.

I have Colorado Rockies logo, where I have already removed white backround by making it transparent (named as COLtp.gif).:

post-341-0-55560700-1364531968.gif

Logo must be 94x91 as size, you can verify that in NHLinfo by looking TB logo there.

I open that logo also in GIMP. I select my logo in GIMP and from menu Colors->Map->Set colormap. Now it open new window asking for palette. I just press button next to where it says Palette and it open palette selection:

post-341-0-43249300-1364533183_thumb.gif

2 first palettes are from images which I have open in GIMP. #19 is from my scouting report screenshot. If you are uncertain which it is, you can see that number in GIMP by looking picture's title.

I Select colormap #19 and I click ok from dialog box. My logo in GIMP now uses scouting report screen palette and colors are wrong:

post-341-0-46447500-1364533545.gif

Now I export this logo to different name, for example COLnew.gif. (From menu: File-Export)

Then I open my original COLtp.gif to GIMP. I select COLtp.gif and from menu Edit->Copy. Then I move to COLnew.gif, where colors are wrong. I select Edit->Paste. Now my image went floating over and it shows colors right:

post-341-0-39896900-1364534121.gif

Then I just select File->Export and I save my COLnew.gif. Then I move it to my NHL95-folder. Now I open NHLinfo and select SRLOGO.QFS file and I roll down to TB where Tamba Bay logo shows black and white:

post-341-0-68498900-1364531816.gif

Then I just try to replace TB logo. I have the Colorado logo to my NHL95 folder, named as COLnew.gif. I press F1. This open new window in NHLinfo and I just move with arrow keys to my logo file, named for COLnew.gif. It show in right window of NHLinfo, notice that transparent background now shows in pink color:

post-341-0-22564000-1364534621.gif

Then I press enter. NHLinfo asking if I would match or replace palette, I select replace. NHLinfo raports about importing. By pressing F1 once again I can go back to first window where TB logo has now changed to Colorado logo. Although it shows up there in black and white, we can leave NHLinfo. Next I go to dosbox and my NHL95 game to see how it shows in scouting report. I select Tamba Bay to exhibition game and scouting report shows logo like this:

post-341-0-08798500-1364534963_thumb.gif

I also changed Tamba Bay text to Colorado by NHLinfo, if someone wonders that in picture.

I bet there is better ways to do this, but this worked for me. I hope this helps NHL95PC editing in future.

Happy Easter to everyone!

Edited by Kiba
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Stanley cup finals got my urge up to play again. Long time nhl09 mods fanatic but lost interest after screwing up my game 2-3 years ago. I love nhl94 and have been on a binge to try the make the game as realistic as I did nhl09.

Ok, got some tools and updated the rosters and such, but need now to make it as realistic as possible: How to make the AI STOP shooting the damn puck from outside the blueline? I changed aggresiveness, stot/pass bias, and shot power but to no avail! I play a very defensive game and have my zone locked down. But, stupid AI keeps shooting from center ice and manage to score one too many times. Is there some kind of AI tool somewhere as there was for nhl09?

I think there is no any AI-tools for NHL95PC. What you are suggesting here requires lot of hacking and as far as I know, nobody is doing it at the moment. I am curious about "AI keeps shooting from center ice and manage to score one too many times", does this really happen very often when you play NHL95PC? Anyhow, I think NHL95PC is not very good choice if you are looking for very realistic gameplay. Later EA NHL versions got tactics and settings for AI, but there is no option for those in NHL95PC. Only option for changing AI is that someone hacks that AI gameplay in future.

NHL'95 on PC is one of my all-time favourite games... it's what NHL'95 on SNES SHOULD have been if they hadn't revamped the engine.

I'd love a truly updated version, or else a fun retro (mid-to-late 80s?) version. Gretzky's Oilers in NHL'95 PC would be amazing.

I have done player attributes for NHL95PC based on season 1980-81. Although I am terrible graphics editor and jersey maker, so I dont think I will ever "release" this as full package. If you want I can send rosters to you. Oh, and season stats are same for all players, so this would make simulate pointless in season mode :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old discussion since I've been on an NHL '95 PC binge of late.

I have edited jerseys and rosters from the 1998 season that I've been playing with of late, however, any time I select the Mighty Ducks (home or away), it causes the game to hang/crash. Is it possible that some type of change from the JED (Jersey Editor software) could cause this? I could provide the files that I'm using (*.DB for rosters, *.BIN for jerseys/logos) if someone with further knowledge wants knows something about this or wants to look into it.

Ziggy, when this crash happens? Is it when you have selected teams to exhibition game and try to start the game?

Yep, that's exactly when the crash occurs. I did some testing around and it looks like editing lineups with NHLINFO may have caused some type of corruption, as I copied an older backup of TEAMS.DB file over to my directory and it worked fine once I did that. It is annoying that I'll have to go back and edit lines though as I had fixed the lineups for all of the NHL teams using NHLINFO.

Edited by Ziggy Stardust

Hey Kiba the scratched ice looks awesome!! Any plans to release an updated NHL 15 version of the game? Would love to play it if you do!!

Thanks! I do not have now any plans to make total conversions like goodbyeccha's NCAA Hockey 2014 (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15963-ncaa-hockey-2014-nhl95-pc-mod/?p=134860) or new rosters. Other people make new rosters and conversions. I just have made some tools for making new rosters bit easier and I also have found out few things on game code and graphics. I have posted that information on these forums, so anybody can try to make conversions and rosters to NHL95PC. If I ever will do a total conversion, I would likely make it as a team, not totally by myself. The work amount is very huge (just ask goodbyeccha) and I am not very good on making graphics and jerseys.

I just tried it again, edited lines/rosters with NHLINFO, saved my work, tried to start an exhibition game against Anaheim (whether they are home or away doesn't matter) and it crashes.

I've uploaded the DB files if anyone wants to take a look at it. Everything looks fine in NHLINFO, and it looks fine when viewing rosters within the game, but if you try to start a game with Anaheim at home or away, the game will crash.

So frustrating to get this result after hours of work that I had to do twice now. Hopefully there is a solution.

nhl95 (1998) rosters.rar

Edited by Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy, I tried those rosters and same thing, if selecting Anaheim to exhibition game, game will crash. No clue what does it, Anaheim work however if used in season game...

That really is bizarre. Ah well, I guess if my primary source of playing the game is season mode it shouldn't be that big of a concern, though it is an inconvenience to have a team that doesn't work in exhibitions. I also had in instance where the game crashed when it was going to play out of town highlights, which likely was caused when showing highlights including Anaheim.

Ziggy, I did manage to make those rosters work on exhibition. Well, at least Anaheim did not crashed the game this time :). Couple of things thou, every team's lines are now messed up, so making those right in NHLinfo would be a bit of work. Also, I dropped free agents, but there were only 6 of them, so making those in NHLinfo would not take too long.

EDIT: I found my old piece of code which exports/imports lines and I think I managed to copy lines, so no need to make them right. I hope ;)

Here are the DB's

DB1998.zip

Edited by Kiba

I just took players and attributes to csv-file and put them to fresh installation. I used these tools http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15180-more-rosters-to-nhl95pc/

Also, I found my old piece of code which exports/imports lines. One thing, career stats are now not accurate, but you can try to move them to this new installation with new tool I did make, instructions are in that link. If you dont play season, those do not matter.

That's awesome. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated. One other thing, which file is it that I need to export to a CSV then import into the game to use the 1998 players' stats, it is SEASON.DB or another .DB file? I used the 98rosters.zip as a basis from the NHLForever zip file that a member here so kindly archived.

Tools to import/export stats are here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15180-more-rosters-to-nhl95pc/?p=140677

Files you need from NHL95 PC:
- TEAMS.DB
- KEY.DB
- CAREER.DB
Actual career stats are in CAREER.DB. Although "career" includes in NHL95PC only previous season stats. SEASON.DB holds current season stats, meaning season you are playing in NHL95PC at the moment.

• 1 month later...