NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 PC! A hackers dream!!! anyone play it???

mariomania

I did adjust rink little bit, also adding trapezoid while ago:  

I have also somewhere rink where I changed rink color as blue ice like in the PC hockey version. I will post that here too when I found it. 

Edited by Kiba
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kiba said:

I did adjust rink little bit, also adding trapezoid while ago:  

I have also somewhere rink where I changed rink color as blue ice like in the PC hockey version. I will post that here too when I found it. 

Awesome @Kiba ! If the blue ice is in here somewhere, I'll have a look and find it. If you find it first, feel free to post it. :)

I just spent an hour on here looking for the file and didn't come across it.

Thanks!

Edited by PenguinFan1985

Here is my blue rink. It is not exactly same color as in NHL Hockey. If I remember correctly, I could not get palettes match or something like that. Anyhow here it is.

RINK.QFS

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiba said:

Here is my blue rink. It is not exactly same color as in NHL Hockey. If I remember correctly, I could not get palettes match or something like that. Anyhow here it is.

RINK.QFS

That ice is pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Just got back into this game after a few decades away. I'm used to editing the newer EA games but wanted to go back to this one for its simplicity.

My version is NHL Hockey for the PC, the version with the 92-93 season. I'm editing it to make a version of the 2018 IIHF World Hockey Championship. I've used NHLINFO to edit the schedule, change the team names and create authentic rosters. I've also used JED301 to edit the jerseys.

But I can't get the in-game logos to work. I've been able to successfully import some logos (I've attached what it looks like for Austria, replacing the Calgary Flames) in JED301 but they don't show up correctly in the game, instead the NHL Flames logo shows up in black and white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TM2.png

On 7/1/2018 at 10:49 AM, comgren said:

Hi everyone,

Just got back into this game after a few decades away. I'm used to editing the newer EA games but wanted to go back to this one for its simplicity.

My version is NHL Hockey for the PC, the version with the 92-93 season. I'm editing it to make a version of the 2018 IIHF World Hockey Championship. I've used NHLINFO to edit the schedule, change the team names and create authentic rosters. I've also used JED301 to edit the jerseys.

But I can't get the in-game logos to work. I've been able to successfully import some logos (I've attached what it looks like for Austria, replacing the Calgary Flames) in JED301 but they don't show up correctly in the game, instead the NHL Flames logo shows up in black and white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TM2.png

I tried importing a logo, but it didn't load.

Also, when I'm editing jerseys, once I change a colour, the app becomes unusable.

On 3/28/2013 at 10:39 PM, Kiba said:

Here is tutorial for changing Scouting Report logos in NHL95PC.

I am changing Tamba Bay logo for Colorado Rockies logo in Scouting Report screen. I will use Dosbox, NHLinfo and GIMP.

First I open Dosbox, go to NHL95 and there to scouting report. Then I press CTRL-F5, which makes screenshot of scouting report to my dosbox capture-folder.

post-341-0-15291600-1364532638_thumb.png

I open that file in GIMP (free software for graphics editing) and leave it open.

I have Colorado Rockies logo, where I have already removed white backround by making it transparent (named as COLtp.gif).:

post-341-0-55560700-1364531968.gif

Logo must be 94x91 as size, you can verify that in NHLinfo by looking TB logo there.

I open that logo also in GIMP. I select my logo in GIMP and from menu Colors->Map->Set colormap. Now it open new window asking for palette. I just press button next to where it says Palette and it open palette selection:

post-341-0-43249300-1364533183_thumb.gif

2 first palettes are from images which I have open in GIMP. #19 is from my scouting report screenshot. If you are uncertain which it is, you can see that number in GIMP by looking picture's title.

I Select colormap #19 and I click ok from dialog box. My logo in GIMP now uses scouting report screen palette and colors are wrong:

post-341-0-46447500-1364533545.gif

Now I export this logo to different name, for example COLnew.gif. (From menu: File-Export)

Then I open my original COLtp.gif to GIMP. I select COLtp.gif and from menu Edit->Copy. Then I move to COLnew.gif, where colors are wrong. I select Edit->Paste. Now my image went floating over and it shows colors right:

post-341-0-39896900-1364534121.gif

Then I just select File->Export and I save my COLnew.gif. Then I move it to my NHL95-folder. Now I open NHLinfo and select SRLOGO.QFS file and I roll down to TB where Tamba Bay logo shows black and white:

post-341-0-68498900-1364531816.gif

Then I just try to replace TB logo. I have the Colorado logo to my NHL95 folder, named as COLnew.gif. I press F1. This open new window in NHLinfo and I just move with arrow keys to my logo file, named for COLnew.gif. It show in right window of NHLinfo, notice that transparent background now shows in pink color:

post-341-0-22564000-1364534621.gif

Then I press enter. NHLinfo asking if I would match or replace palette, I select replace. NHLinfo raports about importing. By pressing F1 once again I can go back to first window where TB logo has now changed to Colorado logo. Although it shows up there in black and white, we can leave NHLinfo. Next I go to dosbox and my NHL95 game to see how it shows in scouting report. I select Tamba Bay to exhibition game and scouting report shows logo like this:

post-341-0-08798500-1364534963_thumb.gif

I also changed Tamba Bay text to Colorado by NHLinfo, if someone wonders that in picture.

I bet there is better ways to do this, but this worked for me. I hope this helps NHL95PC editing in future.

Happy Easter to everyone!

I'm using the DOS version of NHLInfo, so I don't think it'll work with me.

comgren, are you using 3.01 version of JED? This is from JED 3.01 manual.txt file:

"JED 3.01 beta completed. This version does not yet supports NHL Hockey'93, so it can be used only with NHL Hockey'95. JED 3.02 will support both versions of the game."

My version of JED is 3.01. I dunno if there is somewhere that 3.02 version available.

18 hours ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I'm using the DOS version of NHLInfo, so I don't think it'll work with me.

I dunno if GFXPAK will work with dos version of nhlinfo.  

1 hour ago, Kiba said:

comgren, are you using 3.01 version of JED? This is from JED 3.01 manual.txt file:

"JED 3.01 beta completed. This version does not yet supports NHL Hockey'93, so it can be used only with NHL Hockey'95. JED 3.02 will support both versions of the game."

My version of JED is 3.01. I dunno if there is somewhere that 3.02 version available.

I'm using NHL 95 for this.

1 hour ago, Kiba said:

I dunno if GFXPAK will work with dos version of nhlinfo.  

"“gfxpak.exe” is a Windows program. Boxer only supports MS-DOS programs."

On 7/9/2018 at 12:26 PM, Kiba said:

Yes, I am using 3.01. It has worked perfectly for the jerseys, though, so that's disappointing if it can't work for the logos.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, Jlnhlsegafan said:

I'm using NHL 95 for this.

"“gfxpak.exe” is a Windows program. Boxer only supports MS-DOS programs."

There you go, answer is right there.

• 3 months later...

I just read through all 8 pages of this.
I have both versions NHL Hockey and NHL Hockey 95.
I am most interested in editing NHL Hockey.

Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to limit the number of selectable teams?  Original 6?

2. How do I back up my files? Most importantly the Original Game.  (I downloaded the Original Game and DOS Box in one package.  I am not even sure where the Files are on my computer as it also automatically did a Desktop Shortcut to play the game.  Which is handy and nice, but I don't want to screw up the Original game)

Also to question 2:

NHLPA Hockey  does not require running installation. Just copy whole content to folder, for example c:\nhl and start hockey.exe from there. No need to run setup.exe. All files take about 11MB disk space so, for another instance just copy whole content to another folder and so on...

On 3/28/2013 at 10:39 PM, Kiba said:

Here is tutorial for changing Scouting Report logos in NHL95PC.

I am changing Tamba Bay logo for Colorado Rockies logo in Scouting Report screen. I will use Dosbox, NHLinfo and GIMP.

First I open Dosbox, go to NHL95 and there to scouting report. Then I press CTRL-F5, which makes screenshot of scouting report to my dosbox capture-folder.

I open that file in GIMP (free software for graphics editing) and leave it open.

I have Colorado Rockies logo, where I have already removed white backround by making it transparent (named as COLtp.gif).:

Logo must be 94x91 as size, you can verify that in NHLinfo by looking TB logo there.

I open that logo also in GIMP. I select my logo in GIMP and from menu Colors->Map->Set colormap. Now it open new window asking for palette. I just press button next to where it says Palette and it open palette selection:

2 first palettes are from images which I have open in GIMP. #19 is from my scouting report screenshot. If you are uncertain which it is, you can see that number in GIMP by looking picture's title.

I Select colormap #19 and I click ok from dialog box. My logo in GIMP now uses scouting report screen palette and colors are wrong:

Now I export this logo to different name, for example COLnew.gif. (From menu: File-Export)

Then I open my original COLtp.gif to GIMP. I select COLtp.gif and from menu Edit->Copy. Then I move to COLnew.gif, where colors are wrong. I select Edit->Paste. Now my image went floating over and it shows colors right:

Then I just select File->Export and I save my COLnew.gif. Then I move it to my NHL95-folder. Now I open NHLinfo and select SRLOGO.QFS file and I roll down to TB where Tamba Bay logo shows black and white:

post-341-0-68498900-1364531816.gif

Then I just try to replace TB logo. I have the Colorado logo to my NHL95 folder, named as COLnew.gif. I press F1. This open new window in NHLinfo and I just move with arrow keys to my logo file, named for COLnew.gif. It show in right window of NHLinfo, notice that transparent background now shows in pink color:

post-341-0-22564000-1364534621.gif

Then I press enter. NHLinfo asking if I would match or replace palette, I select replace. NHLinfo raports about importing. By pressing F1 once again I can go back to first window where TB logo has now changed to Colorado logo. Although it shows up there in black and white, we can leave NHLinfo. Next I go to dosbox and my NHL95 game to see how it shows in scouting report. I select Tamba Bay to exhibition game and scouting report shows logo like this:

post-341-0-08798500-1364534963_thumb.gif

I also changed Tamba Bay text to Colorado by NHLinfo, if someone wonders that in picture.

I bet there is better ways to do this, but this worked for me. I hope this helps NHL95PC editing in future.

Happy Easter to everyone!

"Set colormap" isn't available to me.

Here's the proof.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 6.16.26 PM.png

Here is a tutorial for changing Scouting Report logos in NHL95PC by using EA Graphics Editor.

I am changing Tamba Bay logo for Colorado Rockies logo in Scouting Report screen. I will use Dosbox, EA Graphics Editor and GIMP.

Logo must be 94x91 pixels as size.

Then I just select File->Export and I save my COLnew.gif.

Then I open EA Graphics Editor and then open SRLOGO.QFS file in it. I select TB from left panel and it shows TB logo to me as in black and white colors. 

image.png

Then I select from menu Tools->Import Wizard. Import Wizard will open.

image.png

I select as Action: Import an existing external file into the current open image. Then I just click next. Warning about losing palette because target is using global palette will be shown. I just click Yes.

image.png

Then Import Wizard let me select Bitmap image to import, here my gif did work but if not, bmp format is also possible. So I click browse and select my COLnew.gif. Then I just click next.

image.png

Import Wizard tells me that process is complete. I just click Finished.

image.png

As Import Wizard did told to me there, I have to reopen the SRLOGO.QFS file if I want to see changes in EA Graphics Editor. So I close the SRLOGO.QFS file and then reponed it. When I select TB on left panel there is Colorado Rockies logo in black and white. 

image.png

Game should now show the logo in right colors, so I open a NHL95 in Dosbox and go to Scouting report to check it.

image.png

There it is.

Happy hacking!

Edited by Kiba

On 11/17/2018 at 4:16 AM, Jlsegafan2001 said:

"Set colormap" isn't available to me.

Hmm, cannot figure right away what is the problem in there but can you attach that Sega image here, so I can try this on my GIMP?

I quess you need to save your image with Indexed Palette. Here are guides to it:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-indexed-palette-dialog.html

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html

Edited by Kiba

Jlsegafan2001, you have to convert that image to indexed mode: On GIMP select  Image → Mode → Indexed and then do the conversion. Like it is explained here:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html

Then you can do that "Colors→Map→Set colormap" part on tutorial.

Also, you should resize the Sega logo to 94x91 pixels like tutorial says. 

image.png

Edited by Kiba

Send your resized and indexed sega logo here and I will check it.

Also, try to use gif when you are using import wizard in EA Graphics editor if you want that logo background transparent, I got problems with png format with that.

Edited by Kiba