NHL'94 Forums

nhl94 vs new nhl gms

hokkeefan

i just bought nhl07 and have spent two days on it and nhl94 still rules !!! they just try to do too much to the game with too many stupid add ons and cheap easy cross front goals and slow manual goalies and trying to manuver and stick handling sucks they should have kept the stick handling on right analog stick like nhl05.they are so stupid they should keep it simple like nhl94 and maybe improve other things like graphics and stuff it just makes me sick to my stomach how badly they make hockey nowadays good thing they have this site (nhl05 was about the best since 94)

i just bought nhl07 and have spent two days on it and nhl94 still rules !!! they just try to do too much to the game with too many stupid add ons and cheap easy cross front goals and slow manual goalies and trying to manuver and stick handling sucks they should have kept the stick handling on right analog stick like nhl05.they are so stupid they should keep it simple like nhl94 and maybe improve other things like graphics and stuff it just makes me sick to my stomach how badly they make hockey nowadays good thing they have this site (nhl05 was about the best since 94)

Amen.

They've made the controler schemes wayyy to elaborate. I get discombobulated instantly trying to play with two sticks just to control the player. It's also frustrating to try and adapt to the newer games when there are certain moves and plays in '94 that you know will light the lamp every time, but are ineffective in the new games. Makes the goals more random, but it takes away from the strategy imo.

EA has to pull as many rabits out of the hat as they can otherwise people will think that they are staginating and just releasing the same game every year (which is basically the case).

I wish they would just take the game engine from '94 and slap polys on it. Or release the NHL games with a '94 mode thats unlockable or something.

I couldn't have said it any better..nice!

I think we'll all agree that EA Sports keeps getting worse and worse when it comes to hockey. It's amazing how on the PS2 they took away the skill stick!! Can you believe it?!?! No more between the leg goals or off the skate goals. Just terrible....

At least EA Sports hasn't bought complete rights to the NHL.. let's hope they never do.

If any of you have played it on the Xbox 360 its pretty good this year IMO. The skill stick is actually a fun feature for shootouts and especially coming in on a breakaway. We are all held to our own opinions but the games have to change someday. Next year if EA makes the defense AI better, Player animations better, and goalies a little better then it will be close to perfect. On the 360. The Ps2/xbox/PSP all suck.

I any of you have played it on the Xbox 360 its pretty good this year IMO. The skill stick is actually a fun feature for shootouts and especially coming in on a breakaway.

Yeah the 360 version of NHL 07 is way better than the PS2 one. It's weird how EA doesnt make their games for each system exact same.

Definately agree, NHL 07 for 360 was a GREAT start for EA, it's almost (dare I say) as good as the classics. They have the chance now to make NHL 08 the greatest game ever, the skill stick is awesome, they just need to fix the defense, the goalie animations (just a touch), and add a little more fluidness to the passing game, and slapshots, aside from that, amazingly fun game for 360.

• 3 weeks later...

NHL 07 on 360 is MUCH better than NHL06 & 07 on PC/PS2/Xbox.

NHL95-97 PC, NHL 98, NHL 2000, NHL 2004, NHL 2005 & NHL 07 360 are all good games which brought a bunch of enhancements, but all of the other years were big steps backwards. Especially the last two. NHL 04/05 were a great basis for a hockey game because the defense was very good, but it went to waste with 06/07 PC/PS2/Xbox by them making it way too arcadish. I don't know, perhaps their strategy is to switch back and forth between arcade hockey and simulation hockey so that people will keep on buying the new versions hoping that they get the game that they want.

Biggest things missing now are Playoff mode, Multiplayer season mode, online seaosn mode, more than 1vs1 online (and with modified rules/ai/rosters, something that they used to allow for years), and classic rosters. If they would get out of the cycle of just trying to remake the game every 2 years into something else, and just continued to improve the game like Madden, then the series would be great.

But make no mistake, we'll never get the same feeling from a hockey game as we did from a game like NHL94. NHL94 was arcade hockey. We'll never see pure arcade hockey again (as long as EA does their job and makes a good hockey game).

And with those tiny 2D sprites you kinda had to use your imagination. Now the graphics are so defined, that if theres anything wrong with them, its a lot easier to notice and break immersion. In fact, one of the biggest flaws since they've gone 3D is that they've never had a proper physics engine. One of the greatest things about the 2D NHL games were the physics, the way you player skated around the ice, the way the goalie slid around, the way players would move when they got checked, etc. In the 3D games a lot of the fluidity of the ice physics is gone. Hopefully with the power of the newer consoles they can fix that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cr0ssbar94
The new NHL GAMES SUCK!

Yes they do. NHL Hockey for PC is about the best game so far I have ever played, but I will be getting 95 in the mail soon and hear its better.