NHL'94 Forums

Don Sweeney vs Ray Bourque

Ken

I've always suspected that something was a bit off in regards to the checking ability of these 2 defenseman. IMO, Sweeney is the most devasting body checker in the league - he'll take out basically anybody at will. Bourque is very good at body checking, but not as good as Sweeney.

Yet, Bourque has a much higher checking rating. Is it possible that the original game programmers 'reversed' the checking ratings of these 2 guys?

I've always suspected that something was a bit off in regards to the checking ability of these 2 defenseman. IMO, Sweeney is the most devasting body checker in the league - he'll take out basically anybody at will. Bourque is very good at body checking, but not as good as Sweeney.

Yet, Bourque has a much higher checking rating. Is it possible that the original game programmers 'reversed' the checking ratings of these 2 guys?

agreed. sweeney is a tank. as is todd gill. there is more to checking than just the checking stat however.

agreed. sweeney is a tank. as is todd gill. there is more to checking than just the checking stat however.

what else factors into it? I'm trying to think of stats that would favor Sweeney over Bourque...can't think of any off hand. aggresiveness?

The secret of this story is the weight .

The lighter the player is...the harder he can check.

Sure sounds weird but Fleury is the lightest player in the game...and checks the hardest.

Heavy players like who weight over the 200 can't check a mouse.

Also...heavy players are very easy to check.

Just check (hehehe) it out....you'll be amazed.

Everybody who weights 180 or under it are killer checkers

Btw...I really do not think that Bourque is a good checker.

Perhaps his rating checking 99 fairytail tricked people into believing that he is a good checker :(

I am even willing to say that this checking thing and the lighter the player is the better he seems to check is a:

BUG :blink:

there...i've said it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There's definately some oddities with good checkers in the game. But I can't put my finger on it. Look at Gretzky. He's an a$$ kicker in the game. And yes, he is a light weight. Cliff Ronning is another example. (agile and light)

Another a$$ kicker is Petr Klima. Granted he is no Fluery or Gilmour. Hes rated low in checking, heavy, but still can hit pretty good. So Klima seems to throw off the weight theory a bit.

I wish one of the developers of the game found this board and could give us a real answer.

164 lb checking power 10 player: Fleury

172 lb checking power 9 player: Roenick, Gretzky and Sweeney

180 lb checking power 8 player:Juneau and LaFontaine

188 lb checking power 7 player: Yzerman

196 lb checking power 6 player: Chelios, Oates and Klima

204 lb checking power 5 player: Bellows

212 lb checking power 4 player: Sandström

220 lb checking power 3 player: Bourque and Lemieux

228 lb checking power 2 player: Steve Smith

236 lb checking power 1 player: Lindros

252 lb checking power 0,0 player: McSorley