NHL'94 Forums

Connection Settings for Gens

Scribe99

Has anyone experimented with the connection settings using Gens through kaillera? You must have the same connection setting chosen to connect with other players and it seems that everyone leaves it on the default setting - Good (20 keyframes per sec).

If you change your setting to Excellent you are at 30 keyframes per sec, LAN is 60 keyframes per sec.

I did a little looking on the kaillera website and it appears that if your connection can handle it, upping your connection setting to Excellent or LAN would result in a smoother game, closer to playing on a console, because you are receiving more feedback per second. Obviously the people you play would have to switch their connection settings too, but as I think my connection could handle at least Excellent, I want to know if other people would consider making the switch or at least experimenting to see if we can have a truer experience when playing online.

it all comes down to the latency between your ip and the kaillera server (which can be effectively be 0 if you run your server locally) and likewise your opponent's latency to the server.

if you set it too high, and there is a higher chance you'll suffer a choppy game/desynch/lost connection if traffic all the sudden bogs down the connection for whatever reason thus affecting the latency.

"Good" on a low latency connection is quite adequate. To reduce the chance of making your latency worse, make sure you're not running an anything else that is uploading/download traffic at the same time (e.g. BT downloads, VoIP apps like Skype, and even chat apps to some degree etc). This includes any other PCs you may have within your home network doing the same thing.