NHL'94 Forums

Penalties or No Penalties?

I personally dislike having penalties "on."

- Penalties takes away from the speed and the flow of the game. I like quick arcade style action. (just my opinion of course)

- It seems a lot of the penalties are out of anyones control. Granted a players aggressiveness may have a factor, but it just stinks when you are on your breakaway then the whistle blows cause of a holding penalty that you had nothing to do with.

Just my 2 cents...

Id like to know what others play online? Penalties on? or off?

I personally dislike having penalties "on."

- Penalties takes away from the speed and the flow of the game. I like quick arcade style action. (just my opinion of course)

- It seems a lot of the penalties are out of anyones control. Granted a players aggressiveness may have a factor, but it just stinks when you are on your breakaway then the whistle blows cause of a holding penalty that you had nothing to do with.

Just my 2 cents...

Id like to know what others play online? Penalties on? or off?

I "grew up" playing without them.

For the most part, I agree with you.

Penalties slow down the game (making it less fun), they add a mostly random factor to the game (hurting the better players), and they take away from the game in the same way that line changes do (by taking the best players off the ice).

I like playing w/o line changes, w/o penalties, and w/o offsides, b/c that is the fastest game around, and it keep all the best players on the ice. Basically, it's the most fun.

I can see why other guys like the strategic elements of line changes/penalty killing - but in reality these things aren't that hard to get used to, and all it really accomplishes is slowing the game down.

I can see why other guys like the strategic elements of line changes/penalty killing - but in reality these things aren't that hard to get used to, and all it really accomplishes is slowing the game down.

So which is it? Do they add strategic elements, or do they just slow the game down?

So which is it? Do they add strategic elements, or do they just slow the game down?

I think line changes do add a small strategic element - but I think that anybody who is a decent player, or anybody who can look at an energy meter and realize it's getting low - can incorporate a good line change strategy pretty quickly. Basically, I think it's very hard to "out line-change" your opponent if you are playing w/o penalties, and still difficult to do if you are playing w/ penalties. If this is true, then all line changes ultimately due is slow the game down w/ lesser players.

I agree that there is something interesting about setting the optimal lines for a given team/opponent, but again, I'd rather just have my best players out there flying around scoring goals.

So there are pro's and con's w/ each system, I just prefer the advantages/gameplay that come with playing with your "best 5".

I'm new to line changes, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think line changes do add a small strategic element - but I think that anybody who is a decent player, or anybody who can look at an energy meter and realize it's getting low - can incorporate a good line change strategy pretty quickly. Basically, I think it's very hard to "out line-change" your opponent if you are playing w/o penalties, and still difficult to do if you are playing w/ penalties. If this is true, then all line changes ultimately due is slow the game down w/ lesser players.

I agree that there is something interesting about setting the optimal lines for a given team/opponent, but again, I'd rather just have my best players out there flying around scoring goals.

So there are pro's and con's w/ each system, I just prefer the advantages/gameplay that come with playing with your "best 5".

I'm new to line changes, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think you dismiss the value of managing lines too much, and I think it's actually easier to "out line-change" your opponents without penalties because when you have penalties you have more stoppages. In any case, no line changes makes it too easy to mindlessly hammer "C" while on defense, instead of rewarding the player who's a little more moderated with his speed bursts.

You also leave open the possibility of a player gaining a big advantage late in the game if the Sc1 lines are tired, his opponent picks Sc2 at a stoppage, and then he calls timeout and puts his rejuvenated Sc1 line out there trying to tie the score late.

I'm not crazy about penalties, but I think having offsides increases the skill required as well. Any way we can hack an "Off, with offsides" penalty setting?

In any case, no line changes makes it too easy to mindlessly hammer "C" while on defense, instead of rewarding the player who's a little more moderated with his speed bursts.

until recently, I didn't realize this was a problem..time to rethink my strategies :P

think you dismiss the value of managing lines too much, and I think it's actually easier to "out line-change" your opponents without penalties because when you have penalties you have more stoppages.

this is true, but isn't is also true that having to manage special units (pk, pp) makes it that much harder to keep your key guys fresh? you are more familiar with this than I am, so you're probably right.

I'm not crazy about penalties, but I think having offsides increases the skill required as well.

of all the options, this is prolly my least favorite. partly b/c the long "touchdown" pass has been part of my attack for years, since I never played w/ offsides. also b/c - as I mentioned before - offsides slows the game down, and I like keeping the tempo fast

When I was a kid, use to play with Penalties On, with off-sides and line changes on.

Makes the game most strategic and prevents opponents from 'touchdown' passes, so allows defense to be managable in the game.

You already have to put up with the horrible defensive AI in the game and it just adds insult to injury without off-sides.

As for line changes, Tick made the best points about why its good to have them on. So I dont need to say much more about it.

I find it just depends on the type of game I feel like playing. Obviously if my buddies and I just feel like lighting it up we'll play no rules but I do enjoy playing full lines and penalty game as well. More startegy is put into your second and third lines. That is where you see how much depth a team has.

I play auto line-changes penalties on/except offsides

The auto line changes lets me play as all the players without the problem of slow game play.

I play penalties on because it helps equalize the teams, especially in 1 player. The better, more physical team will generally draw more penalties, making a little tougher to run up the score.

No matter what, I can never play with offsides. As I've said before, your computer teammates have absolutely no concept of where the blue line is & that makes the game incredibly frustrating.

It's so very different from game to game from time to time.. Used to play NHL 94 with no line changes, no penalties and manual goalie. But my last "episode" with 94 I've played with penalties and manual line changes. No offsides though, can't stand that, never could. It just doesn't work well in a game imo.

Not only do I play with penalties, but I also play offsides. I cuts down on breakaways for the other team and keeps the game from getting out of hand, i.e. Scores like 13-1. Yes, I used to play with no penalties, but if you play with them on, especally with offsides, it will IMPROVE your game.

but I also play offsides. I cuts down on breakaways for the other team and keeps the game from getting out of hand, i.e. Scores like 13-1.

playing good defense also cuts down on breakaways. breakaways can also be largely neautralized with good manual goalie play. anywho, it's not b/c a lack of offside rule that causes 13-1 games, it's good players playing bad players that cause 13-1 games.

in fact, if there is a rule/setting that lets good players gain an advantage over mediocre players, I'm all for it.