NHL'94 Forums

Weight bug in Gens

My brother and i have been playing this game since its inception. just recently i have found this site, which is wonderful, i might add. anyshiz, i was looking at the screenshots in the multimedia section and realized the highest checking in one game was 244. we just had 295 checks and 30 goals in a 10min period game. is that good? what do you all average? the link below should open up the picture i took with my cell piece

It varies, but head to head it's typically 20-25 (per team) in games where people don't go Carse/Scribe like after every whistle :) Checks after the whistle count towards the game total.

This is for 5 min periods.

Glad you found the site. We all find our way back to our addiction at some point.

It varies, but head to head it's typically 20-25 (per team) in games where people don't go Carse/Scribe like after every whistle :) Checks after the whistle count towards the game total.

This is for 5 min periods.

Glad you found the site. We all find our way back to our addiction at some point.

Heyhey, don't forget about me! 2nd in checks in GDL2, 4th in GDL3! No goal goes unpunished!

Carse's 39.66 checks per game in GDL3 is incredible. 'Course, his games have more goals than mine, so it's tough for me to get as many after-the-whistle hits..

(that's in 5-minute periods, btw, redkarpet)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Does the weight bug exist in NHL 95 as well as NHL 94? Will the program that fixes the NHL 94 bug fix the NHL 95 ROM (if needed)?

NHL95 is really different from 93 and 94, so I really don't think the weight bug fix will work for it.

However, I haven't tried it.

As for the wgt bug being in 95, i doubt it, but give it a try and see who can check whom with ease.

As a 95 uber geek, I don't think there is a weight bug in 95.

And 95 is great game, has quite a bit of differences than 94. But great in it's own right.

As a 95 uber geek, I don't think there is a weight bug in 95.

And 95 is great game, has quite a bit of differences than 94. But great in it's own right.

I played NHL94 and NHL95, and I prefer the latter. I didn't remember a weight bug from my experience with NHL95, and there definitely isn't one now that I've started using an emulator and playing the game again. Checking ratings have their full value and definitely help you distinguish heavy hitters from those who can only occasionally lay someone out.

It's too easy to score 10 to 15 goals in a game of NHL94. The slow pace makes it far too easy to maneuver and set up one-timers. That being said, the AI in NHL95 is not the greatest either. But the fast pace and physical play make it more competitive, though you can eventually get to a point where you can beat the AI in every game, even with the worst teams in the league.

Let's not lose sight of the main topic of this thread, which is the weight bug!

It exists in (from what I know) NHL 91 to NHL 94 on the Sega Genesis

there is now a fix for the weight bug which works in at least NHL94 and I think the earlier games, too, though I have not tried them.

there is now a fix for the weight bug which works in at least NHL94 and I think the earlier games, too, though I have not tried them.

It does work in 93 as I have tried it :lol:

Smoz are you working on any new hacks??

It does work in 93 as I have tried it :D

Smoz are you working on any new hacks??

Nah, nothing lately. Just haven't had the free time. I'm having enough trouble just getting the Blitz league started up again.

Nah, nothing lately. Just haven't had the free time. I'm having enough trouble just getting the Blitz league started up again.

And actually, before doing any more hacks, I want to make an NHL94 hacking wiki... where I'll post everything i know about the internals of the game, and hopefully guys like wboy will add to it, and it'll spawn a golden age of NHL94 hacking!

And actually, before doing any more hacks, I want to make an NHL94 hacking wiki... where I'll post everything i know about the internals of the game, and hopefully guys like wboy will add to it, and it'll spawn a golden age of NHL94 hacking!

Sounds cool. Have a few ideas of hacks that I would like to try and this would prove very useful

• 11 months later...

I realise this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if the checking rating still means how often a player hits in the newer games also?

Cause when I make players I give them a high checking rating cuase I was under the understanding it made them better hitters.... Just askin

I realise this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if the checking rating still means how often a player hits in the newer games also?

It does. I didn't change the AI behaviour, just the effect of the hit (whether it succeeds or not). Under AI control, a player with higher Checking rating will still check more.

Cause when I make players I give them a high checking rating cuase I was under the understanding it made them better hitters.... Just askin

Ah, okay.. I thoguht checking rating made better hitters... alrighty.. Guess I have a better idea of the game attributes now

Thanks man

Ah, okay.. I thoguht checking rating made better hitters... alrighty.. Guess I have a better idea of the game attributes now

Thanks man

It makes them better hitters if you're using the "weight bug fix", which changes the code of the original game in order to include the checking rating to see if a check succeeds.

In the original game, it only affected AI behaviour (whether a check would get thrown, successful or not)

• 1 year later...

Check the Blitz site and you'll be able to find the best hitters in the database.

like redwingdevil says:

http://www.blitz94.com/downloads.asp -- get the Player List at the end of the page (excel spreadsheet.. works in OpenOffice, too)

Top checkers in blitz league history (note that the stats are influenced by who used the player.. lindros and messier have so many checks because carse used them a lot, and he's by far the best checking coach)

Please let me know if I am out of line here, but I think he is asking who are the best defenders without the fix. Wouldn't the blitz ratings give you the best defenders with the fix? If I am right the ones with the lower weight ratings would be the best. Bob Sweeney and Nick Lidstrom are pretty good in that regard.

Please let me know if I am out of line here, but I think he is asking who are the best defenders without the fix. Wouldn't the blitz ratings give you the best defenders with the fix? If I am right the ones with the lower weight ratings would be the best. Bob Sweeney and Nick Lidstrom are pretty good in that regard.

Right, whoops.

I think the top D in the original game are, due to low weight and good skills:

4 weight: It's Don Sweeney, not Bob (Bob is the forward). Best D in the game.

4: Svoboda

4: Zhitnik.

4: Lidstrom

And there are a bunch of D with 5 weight who aren't very skilled, but are good hitters. Brisebois... You can still use the Blitz spreadsheet, but just look for the low weights.