NHL'94 Forums

Playing Online

Scribe99

Now having some online experience with the Genesis version, here are some thoughts:

- Right now it's hard to find a good server if you live in the Mid West or West. Most of the decent ones are based on the East Coast.

- The connection setttings (Good, Excellent, Lan) do make a huge difference in the gameplay. I tested this out by making a server off my pc and playing a 1 player game through Kaillera. The best way to describe this is with Tecmo Super Bowl. On the default setting (good - 20 keystrokes) my players felt very stiff. If I started running straight they would go straight for a lot longer than they should before I could make them turn. Upping the keystrokes to excellent felt much better, and of course Lan was perfect control. With a precise game like 94, these settings are bound to have a huge impact on gameplay.

- A lot of people are of the opinion that Kaillera is a buggy pos, but I guess it gets the job done. I haven't had too many problems, but I don't feel its the ideal solution for online play either.

- I recently tried out the Kega Fusion emulator (newest version: http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-download_....php?fileId=228 ) It is hailed as the most accurate emulator out there. Playing an offline game of 94 felt perfect to me. I have to say it is better than Gens in terms of replicating the console.

- The online play for Kega is straight peer-to-peer. One person acts as the server and the other connects to that person's public IP address. It looks like save states are enabled for online play. It also has a latency slider to address control issues. The obvious drawback of this type of online play is that people have to actually set up their IP addresses and their router. There are two basic steps, you give your pc a static IP, and you setup your router to forward ports to that IP. I went to portforwarding.com and it only took me about 30 minutes to setup with their tutorial. It is not hard to do at all.

- I think playing with the Kega emulator may be best online experience out there. You don't have to go through a 3rd party server and you connect directly to your oppponent using the most accurate emulator. No more searching for servers and dealing with their bugginess. I think 30 minutes spent setting up your internet connection could be well worth it.

Hey Scribe99,

I remember using this emulator a long time ago (before using Gens). At the time, I recall it was missing possibly the ability to play online. If it now has the peer-to-peer support (similar to the ZSNES emulator) than this could be the way to go. We'll have to have some guys test this out from different locations but this could make the online experience better.

If this is the way to go, we could easily writeup the instructions on how to set it up.

Thanks for taking the time to do the research here. Lets all look into it more, make sure it can handle what we need it to.

-Evan

Thanks for the responses.

Kega has online support now and I am pretty sure it supports save states online. I made a save state of an offline game, uploaded it to the 94 box score site and it worked -- so none of the infrastructure for stat tracking would have to be changed.

I have not tested this out online yet but playing 94 offline felt very slick. At the moment I'm on vacation so my internet access is going to be unpredictable, but I definitely want to try this out with some people. If anyone tries it out, let me know how it goes.

I think this is worth checking out even if it's more complicated to set up. The server options aren't that great on Kaillera if you don't live on the East Coast, and online it might play a better game.