NHL'94 Forums

A European League cos of the ping factor

I'v just had a look at how to join one of the leagues but because of the ping connection it says only people from north america could join so can i stil join the league if im in england ???? If not how many european players are on NHL94.com and are wanting to start playing in a league as we could start something??????

I'v just had a look at how to join one of the leagues but because of the ping connection it says only people from north america could join so can i stil join the league if im in england ???? If not how many european players are on NHL94.com and are wanting to start playing in a league as we could start something??????

Connecting to servers over long distances has a strong tendency to affect gameplay - players from the Midwest routinely report high ping and bad lag problems when connecting to the popular East Coast servers that dominate league play. Trans-Atlantic (and, I presume, Trans-Pacific) connections are even worse.

BUT, that doesn't mean that you are out of luck. For starters, you can try this:

http://www.nhlgamer.com/

It's mostly Finnish players, but it looks like they have some "open country" leagues.

Also, one of our members (Scribe99) is researching a new way to play NHL94 online that eliminates the need to connect through a server. It's possible that direct connections between users improves lag to the point where long-distance games become practical - we're eagerly awaiting the results.

Another possibility is that if enough of a critical mass develops, NHL94Online.com's Classic '94 leagues could have a sub-league devoted to and restricted to Europeans. I think we're a little ways away from that right now, but there have been Swedish and Finnish players who have showed up on the forums looking for action in the past. There might be others who would be interested but just haven't spoken up.

On a positive note, if you like the Snes version.. you might be good to play in the nhl94online.com leagues. I know the coach Fenty plays in England and the connection is usually fine using ZSnes and ZBattle. I see your profile says your from Northeast England.

Just some food for thought.

-Evan

On this site through the snes gen are there places in the league as i thought they were all taken + ping s**t ???

I didn't exactly follow your question, but I think I know what you're getting at.

These forums act as a meeting place for several leagues. The grandaddy league, which is now christened "Classic '94", has an open registration period which is coming up. No spots are "taken" yet, in either GENS or SNES.

There are other leagues around here that operate differently - the Genesis Draft League generates a lot of forum traffic and looks to have but a handful of spots open up each season. That might be where the confusion is.