NHL'94 Forums

When will Nose be ready for Sega CD!

soccer1

hey wboy, I am extremly impressed with your NOSE editor. I was wondering when, or if the editor will be ready for SEGA CD. There is a huge following on this forum that edits, burns and plays sega cd games. If there is a way to make NOSE iso compatable, that would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks Soccer1

Maybe by the next official release... its format is similar enough that adding its support shouldn't be too hard.... unlike adding SNES support which would be a lot more teadious based on my (currently a bit sloppy) code.

One thing though, unlike the roms I'm pretty certain I won't be able to support increasing the roster size (free bytes hacks). So while you would be able to edit the original rosters, you'd have to live with the original amount of bytes allocated to the roster/team name data.

What happened to all the free space in the sega cd version you used to create more bytes in the genesis version?

Is it impossible to add a second goalie to the NYR, they only have one?

Regardless of the bytes situation, the NOSE editor is incredible! especially for orginizing, uniform changes, and all the other small changes. I know it is way less tedious than the hex editor, especially with the ratings bar, telling you how good the player becomes as a result of and increase in their overall stats.

Soccer1

What happened to all the free space in the sega cd version you used to create more bytes in the genesis version?

Is it impossible to add a second goalie to the NYR, they only have one?

I won't go into detail why no extra free bytes, but if I can, I will, though from what I've seen I don't think it'll be possible/as easy.

re: extra goalie, you could sacrifice a player to make an extra goalie. Or you could abbreviate everyone's first name so you get extra free bytes to create players/goalies.

I've edited only the Sega CD version in the past and I was able to make each team have 2 goalies, even the teams with 1 goalie. Of course for most of you this is old news but 2 goalies should be enough. Increasing the roster size I think is impossible unless someone got the source code for NHL 94 for the SCD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

All versions of 94 are decent hockey games by any standards, at least the high standards we people here on this board have. :P An editor that edited all the versions of 94 would be great and give everyone something they wanted. This is a long process so you just have to wait for good things to happen. Good work to those of you who have gone sleepless over this!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine is making a 07 update to the Sega CD version and I was wondering if there was any word on helping him out with this?

I hinted on this before, but I'll quicky explain it in a bit more detail.

take an original 94 rom. expand the bytes (once or even twice to be safe).

FFFF out the complete team/roster data section. paste in Sega CDs roster over the top and then fix the starting team offsets pointers (refer to the nose rom.ini for that offset).

With that edit your rosters in NOSE (if you do it right I should work first shot). When done paste it back into the ISO making sure you haven't expand the original amount of bytes used by the sega cd version (meaning you will have to drop player to add longers names etc.). Then fix the sega cd team offsets to match the new starting points revelant to their previous reference (by that I mean the hex offset wont be what you expect, but you could calculate where it should techinically be with a bit of basic maths when compared with the original roster/team offset pointers.

Thats the best I can only offer you as I cant/don't know how to successfully expand the roster, unshare the tile logos or even add more teams for the sega cd version like I have for the 30 team nhl 94 hack. Time wise I am in no position for the next month or so to greatly help you out so you have to get back into a bit of traditional hacking to make this work for you now.

give it a shot!!!! I'm certian it will work in theory and in practice.

• 1 year later...
I hinted on this before, but I'll quicky explain it in a bit more detail.

take an original 94 rom. expand the bytes (once or even twice to be safe).

FFFF out the complete team/roster data section. paste in Sega CDs roster over the top and then fix the starting team offsets pointers (refer to the nose rom.ini for that offset).

With that edit your rosters in NOSE (if you do it right I should work first shot). When done paste it back into the ISO making sure you haven't expand the original amount of bytes used by the sega cd version (meaning you will have to drop player to add longers names etc.). Then fix the sega cd team offsets to match the new starting points revelant to their previous reference (by that I mean the hex offset wont be what you expect, but you could calculate where it should techinically be with a bit of basic maths when compared with the original roster/team offset pointers.

Thats the best I can only offer you as I cant/don't know how to successfully expand the roster, unshare the tile logos or even add more teams for the sega cd version like I have for the 30 team nhl 94 hack. Time wise I am in no position for the next month or so to greatly help you out so you have to get back into a bit of traditional hacking to make this work for you now.

give it a shot!!!! I'm certian it will work in theory and in practice.

Hey Wboy,

It sounds like it might be possible to edit a game through NOSE and copy it back into the Hex editor to burn onto a sega CD. Can you go into more detail possibly? I'm a little confused when you talk about hex offsets and what not.