NHL'94 Forums

League Suggestions and Comments

mack

i like the idea of a draft. just develop a draft order that is totally random or it can be slightly weighted so that the better players have a slightly lower chance of getting good picks. If anyone knows what the NBA lottery is, thats what im thinking, but with less of a weighting system.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing all of the arguments and counter arguments, I do think that a random draft order would work the best. You don't get penalized for having a life and not being able to get the 'first come first serve' teams. Also, no one has any incentive for tanking games, and players don't get penalized for doing well.

A weighted system sounds great, but it also sounds like too much work.

p.s. The nhl 2on2 league has stat tracking. Is that going to be implemented for the next nhl94 league?

Stat tracking will likely not be available for the next season. Number one priority is setting up league divisions with adequate participation, and setting up systems to make coach replacements easier for the admin staff to handle during the season. That being said, if those things come together nicely, we will start working towards stat tracking.

Stat tracking will likely not be available for the next season. Number one priority is setting up league divisions with adequate participation, and setting up systems to make coach replacements easier for the admin staff to handle during the season. That being said, if those things come together nicely, we will start working towards stat tracking.

I appreciate all the hardwork everyone is doing, but I gotta say this is a total bummer. The technology is there isnt it? I've had several conversations with coaches and this is something that we all want.

Pretty please?

BHF,

I think besides having the time to set it up properly, I don't think we have the ability to grab the stats from an SNES league game at this time.

Please someone chime in if they know differently.

-Evan

BHF,

I think besides having the time to set it up properly, I don't think we have the ability to grab the stats from an SNES league game at this time.

-Evan

I would still be willing to set up the genesis side of things for you Evan now that i have some free time again. For SNES someone just needs to go through and find all the offsets like we did with the Gens files. I am also planning on opening up a small draft league in the next week or so.

BHF,

-Evan

EVAN,

I think you ought to consider letting the players pick whichever team they want next season. I made a mistake of picking a weak team again, and my reward for a sparkling 29-10 season was the same as last year: A 1st round sweep to a 15-25 team, who by his own admission "tanked" the regular season.

IMO, the regular season right now has little to no meaning. Mabye cut down the number of teams that make it to 12 or even less. I know this is tough, because you think people will quit once they are mathimatically elminated, but imo its the best way. If players quit just chalk it up to a forfeit, and then warn them that in the future they will be replaced if they refuse to play their games.

Letting players pick their own teams will give everyone a fair shake, and if a player loses, they have noone to blame but themselves. You will still have different teams. Not everyone is going to pick Chicago. Personally, I know alot of people who dont care for Chicago. Habs will still pick the Habs, Matt will pick boston, and so on. Sure, a couple of players will have the same team, but so what.

In this fashion, there can be no question who the TRUE champion of the league is. Now I'm not saying this because I lost. I'm really not. In fact, if you went with my idea, I STILL think I'd struggle in the playoffs. BUT, at the very least, I'll take with me the fact that I lost because of ME, and not because Mario Lemuiex scored 7 goals against an inferior Washington team. I admit, I played poorly, but that is a pretty big disadvantage to overcome.

Even worse are the ANAHEIMS, OTTAWA'S, and FLORIDAS of the world. Do these players have ANY shot? Mabye if kgman played them.

In my opinion, the league as is resembles the way MLB is run. Certain teams have no shot from the get go, while other teams are basically "guaranteed" to go far.

What I'd like to see is the league more closely resemble the NFL. Where EVERY year, ANYONE has a chance to win it all. I dont even like the NFL, but they have their s**t together. I am a huge MLB fan, but they dont have a clue.

Just my opinion man, and I dont expect you to change anything based on what I think. You do a great job regardless.

I just want to say i agree with crossbars desire to see 12 teams out of 20 to make the playoffs. i know ive told evan my 12 team plan and i wont repeat it again sicne i have posted it on the forums once or twice.

as for bsdaemon. seriously dude, i know you love to post and get your posts all over the place. but im going to make a suggestion. posting just for the sake of posting isnt always the greatest thing to do, instead of taking little cheap shots like you just did at crossbar, you could just not say anything at all. sometimes biting ones tounge is more wise then being as blunt as possible.

I just want to say i agree with crossbars desire to see 12 teams out of 20 to make the playoffs. i know ive told evan my 12 team plan and i wont repeat it again sicne i have posted it on the forums once or twice.

as for bsdaemon. seriously dude, i know you love to post and get your posts all over the place. but im going to make a suggestion. posting just for the sake of posting isnt always the greatest thing to do, instead of taking little cheap shots like you just did at crossbar, you could just not say anything at all. sometimes biting ones tounge is more wise then being as blunt as possible.

Yeh. I dont mind disagreeing, but trolling is another issue. We should all respect each others opinions.

Guest BSDaemon

... lol

I haven't seen anything official posted about how this will be handled so I'll post my suggestion for how to fill next seasons Snes A league at least...

We should have a few of the experienced A league guys (Deer, Schwartz, etc) pick the players from last seasons A league that they know are committed and good players, who don't go missing when it comes time to get games played. Then fill in the many voids with the best committed B leaguers, perhaps even holding a mini tournament or one-on-one series where guys can play as any team they want if there are any close calls amongst the A and B candidates. I know this may be obvious, but just making sure it's out there. The one-on-one series wouldn't be too hard to manage, you just tell player x and player y that there is one spot availble between the two of them, go play a 7-gamer together and the winner gets the spot. Mini tournament wouldn't be much harder to do, maybe you have 5 players and 2 spots open, give each team a week to play a 3 game series against each of the other teams, best two records make it, any tie can be settled with a tiebreaker series. Anyone who can't find time to get the games done in the week wouldn't have the commitment needed for a full season so gets cut.

There shouldn't be any sort of first-come first-served thing as far as determining who actually is in the A league next year.

Also, there should be no tolerance for people with firewall issues. If you don't know how to get around your firewall you shouldn't be allowed in to the league period. No point having guys waste their time with these people.

I haven't seen anything official posted about how this will be handled so I'll post my suggestion for how to fill next seasons Snes A league at least...

We should have a few of the experienced A league guys (Deer, Schwartz, etc) pick the players from last seasons A league that they know are committed and good players, who don't go missing when it comes time to get games played. Then fill in the many voids with the best committed B leaguers, perhaps even holding a mini tournament or one-on-one series where guys can play as any team they want if there are any close calls amongst the A and B candidates. I know this may be obvious, but just making sure it's out there. The one-on-one series wouldn't be too hard to manage, you just tell player x and player y that there is one spot availble between the two of them, go play a 7-gamer together and the winner gets the spot. Mini tournament wouldn't be much harder to do, maybe you have 5 players and 2 spots open, give each team a week to play a 3 game series against each of the other teams, best two records make it, any tie can be settled with a tiebreaker series. Anyone who can't find time to get the games done in the week wouldn't have the commitment needed for a full season so gets cut.

There shouldn't be any sort of first-come first-served thing as far as determining who actually is in the A league next year.

Also, there should be no tolerance for people with firewall issues. If you don't know how to get around your firewall you shouldn't be allowed in to the league period. No point having guys waste their time with these people.

Mike I love you... it's like you're in my head. I especially agree with the last part about the firewall/router. If you can't play with UDP you shouldn't be allowed into A until you set it up right.

rudy

Guest BSDaemon
If you can't play with UDP you shouldn't be allowed into A until you set it up right.

I agree 100%

I can't understand why somebody would sign up for an online game if they can't/won't configure their network to allow for online gaming. And to go along with this, since it's UDP only... the use of zbattle should be an absolute requirement of being in the A league.

As far as getting into the A league, I agree with the A players being the ones to determine who gets in, as a committee

angryjay93 said:
i like the idea of a draft. just develop a draft order that is totally random or it can be slightly weighted so that the better players have a slightly lower chance of getting good picks. If anyone knows what the NBA lottery is, thats what im thinking, but with less of a weighting system.

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

Maybe we coudl also throw in that the champion and the finals loser always pick last as well, like it is in the NFL - no matter how they did, the Super Bowl winner always picks last and the Super Bowl loser always picks second-to-last. New players would be tougher.

Here's how I say it should go...

-Two teams from B get the opportunity to move up to A at the end of the year. These would be the champion and the Presidents' Trophy winner. If those are the same, the second team becomes the finals loser. The order of priority would look like this:

1. Champion

2. Presidents' Trophy winner

3. Finals loser(runner-up)

4. Player defeated by champion in semifinal

5. Player defeated by runner-up in semifinal

Then it would go on in order of defeats in the playoffs, with who lost to the champion, then to the runner up, then so on. If it went far enough back, it would go to the people who missed the playoffs, in the order of their overall standings finish. Of course, it's not like it will ever get that far. This would open up spots in B and lower leagues for new people.

On the flip side, the two players that finished the worst in the season would be relegated to the next level lower if they returned. So the draft order would look like this:

First priority: Reverse standings order for returning players. The top two spots in higher leagues where players are relegated go to new players, decided by a lottery.

Second: Players that have advanced into this level

Third: Players that have been relegated to this level

Fourth: The remainder of the returning players in reverse standings order

Fifth: The finals loser

Sixth: The defending champion

So for GENS A, it would look like this based on the standings:

The advancing players from GENS B would be Evan and Jamonica, as currently the two qualifiers (addisonbr and hokkeefan) also played in GENS A, as did the first reserve Cash Money.

1. addisonbr

2. smozoma

3. sonicx5

4. kgboy66(though he would likely be given a lower spot on his own admission that he tanked the season)

5. Jamonica

6. Evan

7. Cash Money

8. Matt Hurray

9. Carse

10. Naeem

11. angryjay93

12. hokkeefan

13. thegr8199

14. tk11

15. Tickenest

16. kgman

17. backhandfloater

18. cr0ssbar or whatever he's called now

19. James (this would be the finals loser should they choose to return)

20. Marc (this would be the champion should they choose to return)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BSDaemon

My suggestion for next season is that there is a set discipline policy. Though we can't fine people like they do in the real NHL, we CAN hand out suspensions. eg. First offence = 2 games forefitted randomly. 2nd offence = 10 games, 3rd offence = ban.

I'm not saying thats my exact idea... THAT part can be open for discussion. I'm just saying we should come up with a discipline policy and have well defined reprocussions for breaking that policy.

*EDIT*

addison just suggested docking standings points rather then forefitting games... which is even better.

Guest BSDaemon
What about a stat box? Maybe players stats?

Gens can do this, afaik snes cant (except manually). So most likely snes stats will never happen, and gens stats are unlikely this coming season, but maybe later on.

OK time for me to chime in. I'm all for the reduced playoffs to something like 12 teams, so that the regular season becomes important. A solution to teams at the bottom who become eliminated not playing their games could be:

(These are assuming 20 team leagues with 12 making playoffs)

1)Once a relegation or promotion system is in place(if thats what you guys want). Have the bottom 2(or however many) teams relegated to a lower division. This means those guys will play to the bitter end if they want to stay in the higher division.

2)Instead of this (or if no relegation system) have the bottom 8 compete in a playoffs (4 from each conference, seeded by points), to determine who gets first picks in next years team draft, winners get first pick, runner up second, semi finals(tie breaker is points), then first round losers. This will get those teams some playoff positioning of their own, make it competitive while at the same time, giving those guys who played well during the season a different distinction (the top 12 in stanley cup playoffs). Also if a relegation system is used this could be here.

3)For the bottom 8 teams, the team with the most points at end of season gets first pick for teams. Same as above, but no playoffs.

That said, anybody who would get an actual ff loss for any reason, SHOULD NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Ties are a different story.

For SNES A

I think we should have 16 teams max for starters.

There's just not enough strong players to have more than that.

16 teams only 8 make playoffs.

We need to make getting into the playoffs a challenge, or if not whats the

point of a regular season. You can have a loser's bracket playoff with the

8 teams that didn't make it if u want, maybe that losers bracket could determine

who stays in A & who doesn't.

I'd really like to see the regular season get more competitve. Nothing against these

2 guys but I don't want to see JOTA & Shakazzuzu doing what they did this season.

1 playin no games cause it doesn't matter. The other just coasting, not really trying cause

it doesn't matter.

I want these 2 guys in league for sure, I just want to play them at there best.

lol of course I will see that in my next series

I think team selection should be different too. Whoever missed the playoffs the previous season

or the new A players should get 1st crack at the teams to level the field a bit.

Guest BSDaemon
For SNES A

I think we should have 16 teams max for starters.

There's just not enough strong players to have more than that.

16 teams only 8 make playoffs.

We need to make getting into the playoffs a challenge, or if not whats the

point of a regular season. You can have a loser's bracket playoff with the

8 teams that didn't make it if u want, maybe that losers bracket could determine

who stays in A & who doesn't.

I'd really like to see the regular season get more competitve. Nothing against these

2 guys but I don't want to see JOTA & Shakazzuzu doing what they did this season.

1 playin no games cause it doesn't matter. The other just coasting, not really trying cause

it doesn't matter.

I want these 2 guys in league for sure, I just want to play them at there best.

lol of course I will see that in my next series

I think team selection should be different too. Whoever missed the playoffs the previous season

or the new A players should get 1st crack at the teams to level the field a bit.

I agree with all of this except your last point. Just because you're a good player means you can't use a team you like? That's not really fair either. Weighted lottery is good though.

The one thing I think is that the champion be allowed to pick FIRST no matter what. Sure, it's a little unfair... but they won the whole thing, thereby earning it. It gives the champion some sort of reward other then bragging rights.

I agree with all of this except your last point. Just because you're a good player means you can't use a team you like? That's not really fair either. Weighted lottery is good though.

The one thing I think is that the champion be allowed to pick FIRST no matter what. Sure, it's a little unfair... but they won the whole thing, thereby earning it. It gives the champion some sort of reward other then bragging rights.

If I win the cup, I definately don't want to pick 1st.

Weighted lottery is a fine idea, I think that would be fair, & would be somewhat interesting as well.

I don't think many players who win the cup would choose a strong team even if they got 1st pick.

Look at KGman & JOTA neither picked an elite team.

The best players IMOP want a challenge & so would more often pick weaker teams.

I wish we could make trades in this game, that would be cool.

Or play with updated rosters.

Who would be the best team today... San Jose maybe?? Thorton, Cheechoo, Marleau sweet

Did JotaC and Kgman really need to have a better team for this season? So far, they've proven that they didn't. They earned the right to be called 'champion' of their respective leagues, I don't think the champion earns the right to pick first for next season. A weighted lottery system makes sense giving all coaches that played in the leagues a chance for number one pick. And all new coaches coming in the league should be put at the bottom of the selection list regardless(paying your dues).

• 3 weeks later...

i think it would be fun to have a buy-in, 5 or 10 or 20 $ , all through paypal or something to 1 treasurer, and the winner takes 80% of it, and the runner up 20% . the pay-out structure can be argued.

that way, if someone drops out, no worries, we have their money and people will still be interested in claiming the top spot !

i think it would be fun to have a buy-in, 5 or 10 or 20 $ , all through paypal or something to 1 treasurer, and the winner takes 80% of it, and the runner up 20% . the pay-out structure can be argued.

that way, if someone drops out, no worries, we have their money and people will still be interested in claiming the top spot !

Not a bad idea...I'm sure there would be a few who'd be up for that.

Guest BSDaemon
If I win the cup, I definately don't want to pick 1st.

Weighted lottery is a fine idea, I think that would be fair, & would be somewhat interesting as well.

I don't think many players who win the cup would choose a strong team even if they got 1st pick.

Look at KGman & JOTA neither picked an elite team.

The best players IMOP want a challenge & so would more often pick weaker teams.

I wish we could make trades in this game, that would be cool.

Or play with updated rosters.

Who would be the best team today... San Jose maybe?? Thorton, Cheechoo, Marleau sweet

Why wouldnt you want to pick first? you earned it!

"I don't think many players who win the cup would choose a strong team even if they got 1st pick."

Well, I agree with you. That doesn't mean they can't still pick first though. I think something is getting lost in all the talk about evening up the league. The fact is, when you become champion, you get nothing. There is no cup, there is no parade, and there is no bigger contract. We need to reward our champions with SOMETHING. The champ should get to pick first. If they want a lower ranked team, well, they have first pick so they can do what they want. But I also wouldnt hold it against them if they picked chicago or pittsburgh - because they earned that right.

I think everyone assumes first pick = best team, but it doesn't.

• 2 months later...

That's an interesting proposition...I would certainly be interested in all the players putting in a few bucks at the start of the season and the Stanley Cup winner gets the whole pot in the end...anyone else also very interested with this idea?

That's an interesting proposition...I would certainly be interested in all the players putting in a few bucks at the start of the season and the Stanley Cup winner gets the whole pot in the end...anyone else also very interested with this idea?

I'd do it. If nothing else, just so that people don't sign up and disappear!

I don't like that idea one bit. If you turn it into a money league, then you lock out people like me. If the point is to attract new players, then you're already alienating people who just want to shut up and play.

I don't like that idea one bit. If you turn it into a money league, then you lock out people like me. If the point is to attract new players, then you're already alienating people who just want to shut up and play.

I don't think Evan would ever ask anyone for money to play in his league. There are obviously guys interested in having some type of a money league/tournament but I'd be surprised if one ever got started.