NHL'94 Forums

League Suggestions and Comments

mack

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of division/ conference setup are u going to be using?

i recommed 4 divisions for each system, with the top in each division getting seeded 1st-4th like the NHL, then the other 12 playoff spots getting filled by the top remaining teams in the leauge, that way u avoid having some people (like edmonton last season) missing the playoffs despite having more points then the other conferences playoff teams.

I was about to sign up Evan but I don't like the options (rules) the league is using. Oh well not everyone can be happy with them. Good luck to all participants and have fun. :o

Sorry Mack.. which rules weren't you happy with? They are just about the same as the Fall 2005 league which you were gonna play in. I will have a League Suggestions topic up soon where everyone can comment on the league rules and make suggestions. I'm always open for ideas. This season had to stay pretty simple because we're creating a big league.

where can I found out what team I managed to get?

I can't post this information up until all the registrations are in. I have emailed you which team you got. :P

What kind of division/ conference setup are u going to be using?

i recommed 4 divisions for each system, with the top in each division getting seeded 1st-4th like the NHL, then the other 12 playoff spots getting filled by the top remaining teams in the leauge, that way u avoid having some people (like edmonton last season) missing the playoffs despite having more points then the other conferences playoff teams.

The Conferences will be broken into divisions similar to how the NHL was in 1993-94. For playoff seeding, the top team of each division makes it as the top "X" seeds, then the next "Y" amount of teams in order of points. I can't give exact info out yet, but once all registrations are in, I can break down the divisions and give everyone the playoff situation.

-Evan

Evan,

I'm just curious, why hold the team draft result until the end of registrion? Worried you'd have to update the site every day with new managers?

If you dont mind, could you pm me my team (Marc - captplug@yahoo.com)?

i too would like to know just in case i didn't get a team i wanted in my list i would settle for another rather then not playing at all

I was hoping the new rom which I am assuming is the exact same as the fall rom would have a 10min+ Overtime period.. I do not understand why it was changed to 5mins ..why would we want a tie.. although I've never tied I just dont see the reasoning behind this.

also in the http://65.36.133.56/nhl94/default.aspx league all 30 teams were filled but only about 10 were truely active teams. although that was mainly due to the lack of parity I hope it doesnt occur in this league.

does ottawa have any chance? limiting the league to 20 teams may be a good idea unless somebody really wants to play as ottawa :D

as for the regular season how many games will there be? I wouldnt mind 50-60 range but that may be too high for some, also a slightly weighted schedule for divisional opponents would be good.

just some suggestions :lol:

I was hoping the new rom which I am assuming is the exact same as the fall rom would have a 10min+ Overtime period.. I do not understand why it was changed to 5mins ..why would we want a tie.. although I've never tied I just dont see the reasoning behind this.

also in the http://65.36.133.56/nhl94/default.aspx league all 30 teams were filled but only about 10 were truely active teams. although that was mainly due to the lack of parity I hope it doesnt occur in this league.

does ottawa have any chance? limiting the league to 20 teams may be a good idea unless somebody really wants to play as ottawa :D

as for the regular season how many games will there be? I wouldnt mind 50-60 range but that may be too high for some, also a slightly weighted schedule for divisional opponents would be good.

just some suggestions :lol:

Hey HABS,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I just felt that 10 min overtimes were too long, but they usually don't last that long anyway. As you said, most coaches didn't even tie.

As of this post, we have 20 Genesis teams and 17 SNES teams. Anyone who hasn't registered can goto nhl94online.com and see which teams are left. If they want to play as one of those teams, why not let them. Could be fun.

The season will have roughly the 30 game season again. This seemed like a good amount of games, seeing how it takes on average a month for a coach to play 10 games. The division play will absolutely be more games than the outer division games. Gotta keep it interesting. These seasons are trial and error, eventually we'll have a rock solid system.

-Evan

Please put any ideas, suggestions, comments you have for the nhl94online.com league here. This will help us bring the league to a solid system where we're generally happy with rules, setup, etc.

Thanks.

-Evan

Please put any ideas, suggestions, comments you have for the nhl94online.com league here. This will help us bring the league to a solid system where we're generally happy with rules, setup, etc.

Thanks.

-Evan

Hi Evan,

I'm just posting the email I sent to you earlier, so others can see. This is a suggestion for future seasons:

"I'’ve been reading about editing the game through NOSE, and a thought occurred to me - have you guys ever thought of doing a draft NHL 94 league? Allowing people to create their own teams would eliminate the inherent advantages some guys get from having better teams, and allow for a new ‘fun factor’.

If you make the league rules “non-line changing”, then each team really only needs 1 Goalie, 3 or 4 defenseman, and 5 or 6 forwards. This 9-12 round draft would be reasonable to run & make the ROM reasonably easy to create - I think?"

Evan, I am kinda hooked (no pun intended) on full rules and line changes on lately. I find it makes you look deeper into your line up and it's not the same one or two guys scoring all the time. Also you can't just blast the c button to catch everyone as it will tire you out and draw some penalties too. Cheers.

Hi Evan,

I'm just posting the email I sent to you earlier, so others can see. This is a suggestion for future seasons:

"I'’ve been reading about editing the game through NOSE, and a thought occurred to me - have you guys ever thought of doing a draft NHL 94 league? Allowing people to create their own teams would eliminate the inherent advantages some guys get from having better teams, and allow for a new ‘fun factor’.

If you make the league rules “non-line changing”, then each team really only needs 1 Goalie, 3 or 4 defenseman, and 5 or 6 forwards. This 9-12 round draft would be reasonable to run & make the ROM reasonably easy to create - I think?"

Ugh, not a draft, please. I hate drafts. Absolutely hate them. I don't understand what the obsession is with drafts in the Tecmo community. I mean, the original game didn't have drafts! Why have drafts now? They take forever and you always get people who don't care about them and therefore don't draft.

Did I mention I hate drafts?

I mean, the original game didn't have drafts! Why have drafts now?

Tick,

The original game didn't have a lot of stuff that is standard in video games now. This is for a variety of reasons. I think that if you can take some really cool stuff from todays games, and blend them into the 94 that we all love, you're only making the game better.

An example: say this community eventually grows to the point where there are 30 or so dedicated, good players. There are going to be some players stuck w/ the Oilers and Islanders of the world, or even worse Ottawa/San Jose. No matter how good these guys are, they will be at a tremendous disadvantage to any good player with a "top-tier" team.

If you and I are equally skilled, and I'm Montreal and you're Anaheim, I'm going to beat you 8 or 9 times out of 10. The draft - in theory - goes a long way towards eliminating these problems, and you should end up with much more balance. And if some people end up with 'better' teams than others, it's b/c they drafted better than everybody else and/or picked players that better suited their style of play. I don't see anything wrong with this, and in fact is a major improvement over the "luck of the draw" draft, or the "first come first serve" draft.

I agree that you need a set of dedicated players to make this work. Also, it's not really a problem if you only have 10-12 teams, b/c then most people get a good team.

As far as the time requirement goes, it's not that big a deal - similar to a fantasy football draft. The draft only takes a few hours, and can be scheduled a month or so in advance so everyone is free. Beforehand, the league puts together a ranked list of all the players (the ranking only needs to be approximate, and nobody even needs to agree on it) if a guy misses his turn or the whole draft, he is just automatically given the next player on the list. this way, even guys who miss the draft get a decent team, and the thing moves along at good speed

I was talking with HABs the other day after our finals series about this, and I like the draft idea for some time in the future too. Eliminates some of the gross team disparity, and gives everyone a squad they like. I like the idea a lot better than an 'even teams' rom anyway.

One thing that could be done for this season though is maybe give managers a chance to submit their starting lineups before the season starts, and then the league rom could be edited to save the line editing before every game.

Tick,

The original game didn't have a lot of stuff that is standard in video games now. This is for a variety of reasons. I think that if you can take some really cool stuff from todays games, and blend them into the 94 that we all love, you're only making the game better.

An example: say this community eventually grows to the point where there are 30 or so dedicated, good players. There are going to be some players stuck w/ the Oilers and Islanders of the world, or even worse Ottawa/San Jose. No matter how good these guys are, they will be at a tremendous disadvantage to any good player with a "top-tier" team.

If you and I are equally skilled, and I'm Montreal and you're Anaheim, I'm going to beat you 8 or 9 times out of 10. The draft - in theory - goes a long way towards eliminating these problems, and you should end up with much more balance. And if some people end up with 'better' teams than others, it's b/c they drafted better than everybody else and/or picked players that better suited their style of play. I don't see anything wrong with this, and in fact is a major improvement over the "luck of the draw" draft, or the "first come first serve" draft.

I agree that you need a set of dedicated players to make this work. Also, it's not really a problem if you only have 10-12 teams, b/c then most people get a good team.

As far as the time requirement goes, it's not that big a deal - similar to a fantasy football draft. The draft only takes a few hours, and can be scheduled a month or so in advance so everyone is free. Beforehand, the league puts together a ranked list of all the players (the ranking only needs to be approximate, and nobody even needs to agree on it) if a guy misses his turn or the whole draft, he is just automatically given the next player on the list. this way, even guys who miss the draft get a decent team, and the thing moves along at good speed

Why don't we just let players use whatever team they want? Then no one can complain and everyone's happy.

I think the best idea for eliminating leauge disparity, would not be to hold a player draft, but instead a team draft, wherein whoever finished last the season previoius gets first pick of teams. That way all the bad players would have better teams, and the better players lesser teams, to even out the leauge. But if you are even considering a player draft, i think its a good idea.

ya I like the idea of the player draft too but the fact is it will be very hard to get everybody on at the same time but since it is only about 11 rounds it isnt impossible but if we have all 26 teams i think it may be.. i also like ticks idea to just pick whatever team you want and i agree just outlaw chicago

i dont want to see these teams in the league..[down] as stated before these teams will get demolished most of the time unless the player is real good.. but people usually quit if they are getting killed.. i have alot of respect for pittsburgh from last season he had a tough time but played through all his games

01 Anaheim

02 Florida

03 Ottawa

04 San Jose

05 Tampa Bay

and presetting the rom with everybodies own lines is a good idea..that shouldnt be much work its only 1line. everybody could just their line

and mack if you want full rules just head over to ticks new league

Hey Tick is it possible to still join the league would enjoy some competetion i have been on the sidelines almost 3 months now my MRI says i need to play .....................my AIM is kgman0111@aol.com ..................i would like to be montreal if possible thanks

Since all the good teams are taken, you should consider moving the leauge starting date up a week. Chances are no one is going to want whats left. make registration end this sunday, and start games asap.

Hey Tick is it possible to still join the league would enjoy some competetion i have been on the sidelines almost 3 months now my MRI says i need to play .....................my AIM is kgman0111@aol.com ..................i would like to be montreal if possible thanks

Oh ya and on the suggestions .........u cant hold a draft it would be impossible to set that up .........i think ticks ideas it easiest and best pick your team who cares if 2 people have the same team lets the standing be about person vs person not team vs team .........nobody can say they didnt get their team and complain after the fact .........nhl94 at its purest with no rules ......but i play w/rules to lol ......finnish joke ..............any predictions on womes hockey tommorow if anybody is into gambling i got the pick of the century

Oh ya and on the suggestions .........u cant hold a draft it would be impossible to set that up .........i think ticks ideas it easiest and best pick your team who cares if 2 people have the same team lets the standing be about person vs person not team vs team .........nobody can say they didnt get their team and complain after the fact .........nhl94 at its purest with no rules ......but i play w/rules to lol ......finnish joke ..............any predictions on womes hockey tommorow if anybody is into gambling i got the pick of the century

Good to hear from you again, kgman. Yes, you can join my league (though players ought to have AIM for purposes of arranging their matches, since it makes arranging matches about a thousand times easier.) ANYONE can join my league who meets the minimum requirements at ANY time between now and the Apocalypse. Just head on over to the signup thread and leave your personal info.

Guest BSDaemon

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've signed up, just wondering if I got the team I signed up for?

I think setting default lines in the rom to be a GOOD idea... save a LOT of time!

And as far as kgman's request for predictions for womens hockey... why bother making predictions? Canada should just be automatically awarded the gold medal...

i'd just like to add that anyone thinking of joining the snes league and dont like the teams that are left, try taking SJ.. they really arent that bad if you replace Wilkinson on defence with Ozolinsh and Kisio at center withe Berezan. it gives you the speed you need to keep up.. also Irbe is a pretty solid goalie.

*laughs* maybe in the reg season but theyll have no chance in playoffs

I know this is unlikely, but Id take one of the crappy ones for a second team.

why, why, why would we want the s**t teams in the league just to even the divisions or something?

Since all the good teams are taken, you should consider moving the leauge starting date up a week. Chances are no one is going to want whats left. make registration end this sunday, and start games asap.

i agree with this, no point in filling these s**t teams.. im speaking of the gens conference.. dont really care about the snes conf :blink:

Hey guys,

Yea everyone giving me thier starting lineup is a great idea. There's a new topic that states who has what team. I'm using the name you submitted as your name. It could be your first name, your screen name, your nickname.. but this will be the name I use as your coach name. If you want it changed, just let me know.

Yes, the Genesis teams are pretty much all taken.. I doubt anyone will take the remaining 5 teams (though they can if they like). Still have to give it some more time on the SNES league. In the meantime, start playing each other in exhibition games.. especially the new teams so they can work out the kinks.

Also, if any 2 coaches want to swap teams.. that's perfectly ok too.

And yes, I'm sticking to 1 team per coach this time around.

There will not be a draft in this league for players. The idea of having multiples of the same teams is a good idea.. we won't be doing it this time around.. but maybe in the future.

-Evan

The idea of letting everyone be whoever they want is bad, then everyone is going to pick good teams all the time. If you want to make it fair, make the teams random for every game. That way it will mostly be player ability, but there will also be the chance for upsets, and the underdog to take the title.