NHL'94 Forums

League Suggestions and Comments

mack

The idea of letting everyone be whoever they want is bad, then everyone is going to pick good teams all the time. If you want to make it fair, make the teams random for every game. That way it will mostly be player ability, but there will also be the chance for upsets, and the underdog to take the title.

huh? why would you want everybody to play with s**t teams or a good team vs a s**t team? i dont see a problem in having only good teams it means its fair. random teams is a pretty bad idea. I dont see how having the best teams play each other would mean it ISNT based on player ability... hopefully we'll work something out for the season after this upcomming one.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of letting everyone be whoever they want is bad, then everyone is going to pick good teams all the time. If you want to make it fair, make the teams random for every game. That way it will mostly be player ability, but there will also be the chance for upsets, and the underdog to take the title.

See, I think that that would actually be the least fair way to do it, and I don't think it would satisfy anyone.

I think the league should be set up to give the best players the best chance to win. I see no reason to create rules/systems which hurt good players and help medoicre ones.

assigning random teams does just that...I can't see how this help create a system where 'player ability' is most important. so what if everyone just takes the good teams? I see no problem with that...and it's in fact much better than the luck of draw.

For what it's worth me and my old NHL rival used to play all of our games with random teams. To us it just got boring if you always choose good teams with great players, and it was fun to mix it up with crappy teams. It only works well if you are playing a series of games because some games you will be overmatched, but in like best of seven series or something it can be very interesting, as the series is often decided by who can pull of wins in the games when they had the weaker team.

Not sure how to implement that into a leauge, but I definitely think it is a better test of gaming skill when you take away the best teams and force people to make plays with so-so players.

For what it's worth me and my old NHL rival used to play all of our games with random teams. To us it just got boring if you always choose good teams with great players, and it was fun to mix it up with crappy teams. It only works well if you are playing a series of games

both people taking random teams is a totally different thing than both people taking crappy teams. the point (I think) is to find out who the best players are (and have fun of course), and this is best accomplished by putting teams on equal footing.

also, if you're going to pick random teams, a 7 game series is nowhere near long enough to overcome the edge that 1 player will (probably) get over the other

I haven't checked back over too much of the Genesis league last year, but I know that out of all the guys I have had the opportunity to play against, both online and off, some of the best were with teams that had stats and ratings which were just ass.

In some ways I think you can become a better player more quickly by using teams that don't have the fastest skaters, or the best goaltenders. It forces you to play a bit smarter and in the end I think it might pay off.

So if someone decides to put up a first choice other than Dallas, Detroit, Boston etc. I will cheer for you. You are awesome and you are a hero. Ratings have far less to do with the outcome then the way you manage your team on the ice, and the technique you have.

both people taking random teams is a totally different thing than both people taking crappy teams. the point (I think) is to find out who the best players are (and have fun of course), and this is best accomplished by putting teams on equal footing.

also, if you're going to pick random teams, a 7 game series is nowhere near long enough to overcome the edge that 1 player will (probably) get over the other

Well we always found it to be a lot more fun with random teams from game to game, which sometimes meant great teams, sometimes meant crappy teams. The point is it breaks up the monotony of everyone using the same 3 teams over and over, and tests your skill to use teams of widely varying caliber from game to game. Every game was very different, forcing you to change your playing strategy game to game, which to me is the most fun and rewarding.

As for series, frankly it wouldn't be pretty easy to make the case that a 7 game series in the real NHL isn't anywhere long enough to distinguish who is really the best team. I mean if the point was to objectively establish the "best" players, the most effective way of doing that would be to make a ROM with anonymous players all rated the same and play best of 20 or 30 games series, but that would be a pretty lame format.

I guess my point is that it seems you guys are saying that as long as everyone gets access to the best teams, the best player will win, which isn't necessarily true. I mean if you ran a league where everyone used Chicago or Detroit, you would almost certainly have a different winner than a league where everyone used Ottawa or Anaheim. The best test of skill is being able to beat guys with any team, NOT saying "Give me Chicago and I can beat anyone."

I don't necessarily think this is the best way to do it but i thought i'd throw it out there for thought:

Every week there is a designated team of the week.

example: First week is Anaheim. So all players would play anaheim vs. anahem. 2nd week is Boston with BOS vs BOS.

A season would consist off going through all NHL94 teams including ALL-Stars. But the problem is maybe it would just get a bit boring. Just a thought.

I personally like the idea of a player draft, but I'd imagine it would be near impossible to organize.

If your going to do a player draft the best way to do it, is not to use an online draft. But instead have every player pre-rank there top 150 or so players, and e-mail a list to the admin, that way not everyone has to be on at the same time. It would make it much simpler all around.

would only need to draft 11 ish players so id say a list of 50 players [or less?] could work out.

i dont think its that bad of an idea if people actually want it that is.. and if 20 ppl will actually make a list.. but it would be fun having to GM your team and then play with your own roster.

Wow. This is a great idea for a player draft! I'm down with it.

I love the idea of a draft and as ken said before, it is a feature which was not around when the game was out and it def would bring more balance and force an owner to be active...if they cry about their team and didn't send in a list or participate in the draft..too bad

i think it's something we need to hold off on though as we should determine league activity first

and having the draft every season would be a good idea too, awarding top picks to low finishers from the previous season

I think next year, instead of organizing divisions as they were in 94, organize them one of two ways. Either break down divisions so every division is roughly equal (split the top 4 players into 4 diffrent divisions ect). Or organize divisions in terms of the players actual location. For example put all ppl from NY in the same division, all ppl from Toronto in the same divsion ect. This way all inter-division games will have virtually no latency.

Guest BSDaemon
I'm 11-3 with San Jose, an expansion team.

We saw that in the other forum. While it might be something to be proud of, there's no reason to spam it all over the place.

I suggest next season editing the ROM to have ALL goalies with a MINIMUM rating of 80.

I am slowly getting less interested in this game because I find all the 'good' players only have 3 ways of scoring, which work 60% of the time.

1) Slapper

2) Across the crease

3) One-timer

Lets face it low rated goalies almost always let these shots in then say Roy, Belfour and Fuhr.

If we bumped up the ratings of the goalies these goals wouldnt go in quite so much.

Meaning there would be more competiveness across the league.

This is a serious suggestion and if not taken that way, I may consider not playing next season unless I get a 'goalie' team.

This is not a threat, just trying to make things more fair.

Guest cr0ssbar
We saw that in the other forum. While it might be something to be proud of, there's no reason to spam it all over the place.

Well I'm 15-3 now so there's something new.

P.S. Jealousy is an ugly thing! LOL j/k

I am not a spammer! *does the Nixon peace thing with hands*

I suggest next season editing the ROM to have ALL goalies with a MINIMUM rating of 80.

I am slowly getting less interested in this game because I find all the 'good' players only have 3 ways of scoring, which work 60% of the time.

1) Slapper

2) Across the crease

3) One-timer

Lets face it low rated goalies almost always let these shots in then say Roy, Belfour and Fuhr.

If we bumped up the ratings of the goalies these goals wouldnt go in quite so much.

This is a serious suggestion and if not taken that way, I may consider not playing next season unless I get a 'goalie' team.

I'm confused here, how else do you suggest people score? I think the only method you left out was a break away.

Any good player who understands how to use manual goalie will negate 90% of these methods, especially the worst move, cutting across the crease - which I absolutely despise.

Guest cr0ssbar
:mellow:

You are pretty damn proud of that one, and with 11-3 I can understand why. Keep it up man.

15-3, but who's counting. :lol:

HAHA San Jose owns all lol. :lol:

I'm confused here, how else do you suggest people score? I think the only method you left out was a break away.

Any good player who understands how to use manual goalie will negate 90% of these methods, especially the worst move, cutting across the crease - which I absolutely despise.

I think you missed the fact I said '60% of the time.'

I could live with 30%, but I think scoring a goal on average 3 out of 5 shots using these techniques is rediculous.

Thus, my proposal of boosting goalie ratings so we can get to the 3 out of 10 shots range.

I'm not sure giving all the goalies high or equal ratings will solve anything. This league is made up of all types of players, and it seems to be working out so far. I understand Chicago and Montreal have an advantage with their goalies.. but the fun is to figure out how to work around it. Coaches are finding ways of winning upset matches.

And cr0ssbar... you're working wonders with San Jose but don't post about it everywhere. Be a gentlemen and keep the gloating posts to a reasonable amount.

Thanks,

-Evan

I'm not sure giving all the goalies high or equal ratings will solve anything. This league is made up of all types of players, and it seems to be working out so far. I understand Chicago and Montreal have an advantage with their goalies.. but the fun is to figure out how to work around it. Coaches are finding ways of winning upset matches.

And cr0ssbar... you're working wonders with San Jose but don't post about it everywhere. Be a gentlemen and keep the gloating posts to a reasonable amount.

Thanks,

-Evan

I agree evan and i think there comes a point where too much fiddling changes the game into something completely different. Luck and ratings do factor in, but in the end skill is what will take someone into the final rounds of the playoffs. If you feel like there is a specific way you keep losing goals too, put in some practice with the manual goalie and learn to counter it.

To be honest in the majority of my nhl94 experiences [albeit snes instead of gens] the more skilled players were often the ones who used "underdog" teams.

1) Slapper

2) Across the crease

3) One-timer

those methods of scoring are all legitimate and fun parts of the game. learning how to score, from various points on the ice and in various situations, is what separates the good players from average ones. also, some teams have better scorers than others, some better defenseman, some are faster, and some have better goalies. pluses and minuses across the board. if you want to artifically change goalie rankings, shouldn't you also want to artifically change the other rankings? just give everyone the same exact team?

I agree, that in general, some teams have advantages over others. This is why a player draft would be a great idea, so players can craft teams that they want. thegr8199, if you think goalie is so important, then you can take Belfour or Roy with your first pick. my guess is that many other top players would not. personally, I'm fine with having an "ok" goalie, b/c good manual goalie control can neutralize many scoring options. I'd rather have speedy players with shoot and pass well, b/c you can't manually improve those things nearly as well as you can improve your goalie.

edit: my guess is that you're complaining b/c LA's goalie sucks. This is true. he does. that's why you need to get better at manual goalie control. Sorry to be blunt, but the problem is not with the game, the problem is with how you choose to play.

Guest cr0ssbar

Thanks,

-Evan

OK sorry Evan. No more SJ posts.

P.S. I didnt see this before I posted my press conference. Sorry.

Thanks,

-Evan

Because of my lag being one of the highest in the league, Im having trouble getting to goalie control in time on most of the 3 methods I mentioned above.

Everyone I play has an advantage on me right off the start because of having less lag.

Like I said in my post I dont expect to be able to stop all the attempts on those maneuvers, but would like it to come down by at least half of what it is right now.