NHL'94 Forums

League Suggestions and Comments

mack

Because of my lag being one of the highest in the league, Im having trouble getting to goalie control in time on most of the 3 methods I mentioned above.

Everyone I play has an advantage on me right off the start because of having less lag.

Like I said in my post I dont expect to be able to stop all the attempts on those maneuvers, but would like it to come down by at least half of what it is right now.

Playing onlnie is always different than the console itself, and I've found that for the SNES version I have to be faster with my goaltender then i would normally be when offline. The Gens emulator could be far different, but I've found taht any lag on the snes emulator works both ways in that if one player is lagging pretty hard, so will the other guy. Yes it can make more of a difference if your on a breakaway and a massive spike hits, but part of playing online is adapting to those sorts of things I think. The tools we have arn't perfect yet, but they're still pretty damn good for being free. :mellow:

I'd also recommend making sure that you don't have too much stuff running in the background taking up your connection bandwidth or system resources. If your on a high speed connection and in north america lots of those issues might be fixable

Finally, maybe consider going through the Gens team standings and finding someone with a relatively low GA or a pretty good record and ask him for a few minutes to take you through some goalie lessons. I'm not especially good at my goaltender but I'm far better than i was becuase of asking better players to help out a bit. Most of the guys here are pretty decent people and I think they would proly be willing to give some of their time

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of my lag being one of the highest in the league, Im having trouble getting to goalie control in time on most of the 3 methods I mentioned above.

Everyone I play has an advantage on me right off the start because of having less lag.

Like I said in my post I dont expect to be able to stop all the attempts on those maneuvers, but would like it to come down by at least half of what it is right now.

my guess is that lag has little to do with the problem. Even on the console, there is a delay in switching over to the goalie. it's one of those things you need to do before it's neccesary to do. in other words, switch to the goalie as a rushing opponent is above the circles...switch to the goalie when an opponent is at the boards, preparing to crossover...switch to the goalie when you sense that a one time attempt will soon be started.

if you try to switch to the goalie as an opponent is pulling "the move"...well, then it's too late.

some shots are basically impossible to stop. That's ok. When an opponent scores one of those on me, I mentally tip my cap, and move on, b/c I know that I'm about to do the same thing to him.

some basic defensive keys:

Get your defenders in positions that prevent shooters from getting good shot angles on the goalies.

Clog the center passing lanes to prevent one timers

If your defenders are out of place/incapable of stopping a play, then anticipate what scoring move (one timer? crossover? slapshot? one on one move?) your opponent is about to do, and make the appropriate manual goalie moves/positioning ahead of him in order to stop him.

in the end, it often comes down to who is mentally quicker and more creative offensiviely.

Yeah, playing online just takes some getting used to. Whenever it's been a while since I've done league games I always suck it up a bit in the first few games because my timing is so off on dekes and goalie control switches. Even when my timing is better I usually have at least one or two incidents a game where I just don't switch to my goalie soon enough with the online lag....just part of the game and everyone is dealing with...

Hey Coaches,

I have a league rule question for everyone:

First, obviously if a coach makes an attempt to play someone through the forum and that person doesn't respond by April 2nd.. the coach who made the attempt will get the 1-0 win.

Now, if neither coach makes an attempt to play each other through this forum (so we can see the attempt).. I can either give them a 0-0 tie or give them both a DNP. DNP = Did not play. This would be a new column in the standings and would equal 0 pts while a tie would equal 1 pt.

I feel if neither coach makes an attempt they should get a DNP, for 0 pts each. What does everyone else feel about that?

-Evan

Hey Coaches,

I have a league rule question for everyone:

First, obviously if a coach makes an attempt to play someone through the forum and that person doesn't respond by April 2nd.. the coach who made the attempt will get the 1-0 win.

Now, if neither coach makes an attempt to play each other through this forum (so we can see the attempt).. I can either give them a 0-0 tie or give them both a DNP. DNP = Did not play. This would be a new column in the standings and would equal 0 pts while a tie would equal 1 pt.

I feel if neither coach makes an attempt they should get a DNP, for 0 pts each. What does everyone else feel about that?

-Evan

that sounds fair but i think we should give the ppl waiting to takeover a dead team a shot to play.

Agree with that shaku and both myself and Evan are going through the unactive lists to determine if we need to switch any of the current coaches.

Evan: I like that noshow system you proposed and as we near the 14 game deadline would it maybe make sense to make a thread where guys could post which teams they have been unable to play so far? It might be kind of redundant but that way we might be able to find out who has tried to contact their opponent and who has been unactive in one single place rather than running around emailing guys.

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents...

I also think that we should give the teams that are clearly holding up the 1st months games from being completed (ie in SNES Buf, Phi, etc) to guys on the waiting list. I don't think we should hit them with a bunch of 1-0 losses, it would be unfair to the new coaches to do so when it wasn't their fault that the first months games weren't played. The new coaches should have plenty of time the next two months to make up the missed games from the first month.

If this was the third month, then yes, the 1-0 losses is definitely the way to go for any teams who have just given up and haven't finished their schedule. But at this point, there's lots of time for games to be made up and we should give the guys on the waiting list a fair shot at competing this season.

Guys,

If a team is hit with like 10 DNP's or forfeit wins or losses, those will stand unless both coaches agree to play the game at a later date.. which will then change the DNP to a decision (W, L, or T). I will have this in the rules very soon.

-Evan

• 2 weeks later...

Just some suggestions to think about.

I think more stats would be cool.

In the standings section:

Goals for Per Game

Goals Against Per Game

+/-

Winning %

These are doable right?

Other cools things to have on the Standings page.

Longest Winning Streak. Not necessarily the current longest streak.

Most Shut Outs

Most Goals per game

Most 10+ goal games

Highest Combined Goals in a game

Maybe put these in a poll 3rd month?

Vote for Best One Timer Coach

Vote for Best Fake Coach

Vote for Best Slapper Coach

Vote for Best Goalie Control Coach

Vote for Best Defensive Coach

Vote for Best Offensive Coach

Vote for Most Improved Coach

Vote for Rookie Coach of the year

Others?

Not all of these trophies would apply but it would be cool to award some of these:

Art Ross Trophy: Top Point Scorer in the NHL

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy: Qualities of Perseverance and Sportsmanship

Calder Memorial Trophy: Rookie of the Year

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl: Western Conference Champion

Conn Smythe Trophy: Most Valuable Player in the Stanley Cup Playoffs

Frank J. Selke Trophy: Top Defensive Forward in the NHL

Hart Memorial Trophy: NHL Most Valuable Player

Jack Adams Award: Coach of the Year

James Norris Memorial Trophy: Top Defenseman in the NHL

King Clancy Memorial Trophy: Leadership and Humanitarian Contribution

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Player who Displays Gentlemanly Conduct

Lester B. Pearson Award: Most Valuable Player as Selected by the NHLPA

Lester Patrick Trophy: Outstanding Service to Hockey in the United States

Maurice Richard Trophy: Top Goal Scorer in the NHL

Presidents' Trophy: Best Overall Record

Prince of Wales Trophy: Eastern Conference Champion

Vezina Trophy: Top Goalie in the NHL

William M. Jennings Trophy: Goalie(s) With the Fewest Goals Scored Agains

Guest BSDaemon

those would be cool, except it would require a lot more info to be inputted... player stats and such.

considering all the standings and such are done manually... i dont think its viable at this point.

Maybe put these in a poll 3rd month?

Vote for Best One Timer Coach

Vote for Best Fake Coach

Vote for Best Slapper Coach

Vote for Best Goalie Control Coach

Vote for Best Defensive Coach

Vote for Best Offensive Coach

Vote for Most Improved Coach

Vote for Rookie Coach of the year

Others?

this is a great idea. maybe we can add best coach with a teir '3' team? to award the good coaches with crappy teams.

The awards idea is fantastic. We should def have some awards, and yes.. even for best coach with a less than good team. We have a few coaches working wonders with the lower-rated teams. I'll start thinking about this.

Good suggestions guys... keep adding the ideas.. it only makes the league better!

-Evan

can you maybe order the teams by conference, that way we can see whos in the playoffs, and maybe put a mark or something beside whoever is clinched, and whos eliminated. too much work to do it myself

As an outsider to the league, but an avid player of NHL 94, I would love a small chat room located somewhere on the site so that players can meet up to organize games. I know you use the forums for scheduling league play for more casual play a simple chat would be great.

they have something similar on s3dconnector.net for play of Settlers of Catan

Guest BSDaemon

I have an idea:

For those teams that don't make the playoffs, why not have like... a consolation cup? Just so those teams can still play some best of 7 series games.

What say you?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some thoughts about trying to even the playing field:

While I definitely like the idea of a draft, it probably isn't feasible to expect all 24 guys online at once to do it smoothly.

We could do an offline draft instead. I was thinking we could goup all the forwards together in one group, and all the goalies and defence in a second group. Each team submits a ranked list for each group. The guy with the first pick of forwards gets last pick in goalies & D, and vice versa. The draft would snake as well, so last pick in the first round gets first pick in the second round, etc. However, this is still alot of work for at least two guys, whoever it is who has to sort through everyones lists for the draft and whoever (hopefully more than one) who has to program the rom. I'd probably be willing to run the draft.

Another alternative is to basically have one division of 24 guys, where the regular season consists of 46 games, each guy plays each other guy twice, once at home once away. For these games, you can pick any team you want to play as. However, you can only play as each team a total of two times during the regular season. So everyone at one point or another will have to play as Chicago, San Jose, Detroit, Toronto, etc twice. For each game, the away team has to announce which team they're playing as first, so the home team can see what team their opponent will be before selecting their team. There will be alot of strategy in your selections, if you're playing a weak player, will you use a good team and go for the sure win, or will you try to beat them with an Ottawa? Likewise, if you're playing a top player, will you give them your best with a Chicago, or just burn a bad team on them and hope for a miracle? We can also add a rule that you can't pick the same team as your opponent to keep things more interesting.

For the playoffs, we'd have the top 8 teams participate. So 3 rounds with a maximum of 21 games (if each series goes 7). For the entire duration of the playoffs you can only use each NHL team once. So if you're in a tight first round series and have to use Chicago in a game 7 you won't be able to use them for the rest of the playoffs. Again, lots of strategy in what teams you pick and when you choose to play as them.

Let me know if you have any questions about this idea. I like it alot and this it would be cool to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Length of league and playoffs:

I think in the next league, their should be less regular season games and/or should be shorts in terms of months. I think we should be able to do the entire league in 2 months. maybe 4 weeks for a regular season, 4 weeks for playoffs.

the guys who are dedicated have no trouble with this schedule - plenty of people played 20-30 games in the first month, and they had no reason to!

plus, playoff seeds aren't that big a deal - in the Campbell for instance there are 6 teams that are very close to each other, and all would have made the playoffs given a 30 team regular season.

the guys who would have trouble with this are the guys who would eventually drop out anyway.

so, I think a 30 game regular season is fine, played over 1 month.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates and Summary of what has been said in this thread thus far:

AWARDS

As the season is wrapping up, we have to start thinking about Awards for this season. As Backhand suggested, we will have Awards given out (digitally on your teampage) for certain things.

* Stanley Cup is supposedly being physically made and given out to the winner, is this correct Mat?

Backhand had:

COACHING AWARDS

Best Coach (Jack Adams Award)

Best One Timer Coach

Best Fake Coach (this sounds interesting)

Best Slapper Coach

Best Goalie Control Coach

Best Defensive Coach

Best Offensive Coach

Most Improved Coach

Rookie Coach of the year (kind of like our own Calder Trophy)

Best Coach with a low-rated team (aepurniet's addition)

Best Replacement Coach (Evan's addition)

I don't know if these are going in too much detail, so maybe we could consolidate some of the above? On top of these, Backhand also listed the NHL Awards which may work (but I removed some that wouldn't work):

(We could give these Awards our own names)

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy: Qualities of Perseverance and Sportsmanship (Coach who "stuck it out" through hard times)

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl: Western Conference Champion

Maurice Richard Trophy: Top Goal Scorer in the NHL (Team with most goals for?)

Presidents' Trophy: Best Overall Record

Prince of Wales Trophy: Eastern Conference Champion

William M. Jennings Trophy: Goalie(s) With the Fewest Goals Scored Agains (Team with least goals against?)

Division Leader Awards?

Most control pads broken during the season?

There are probably more, so lets get the brainstorms for Awards coming! Basically what will happen is... your Awards will follow you in the league. When you goto your teampage (when the new teampage is up), your Awards will be displayed. If you change teams, your Awards will go with you.

RULES TO VOTE ON

After this season, I want everyone playing and future players to vote on rules for the league. This way majority rules, and we'll get the best results to making everyone happy. This is what we have so far:

- Leave 10 min OT vs Keep 5 min OT (doesn't really seem to matter either way)

- Line changes, On or Off? (Offsides won't be on either way)

- Penalties, On or Off?

- Make all the players have the exact same ratings to eliminate "better" teams

- Draft players

- Everyone can be whatever team they like (5 Montreals, 4 Bostons, etc.)

- Reverse Team draft (worst team from current season gets first pick at a team)

- Preset ROM with coach's starting lineups

- Bumping up just the goalie ratings

- On teampage, show GF/GA averages, Win PCT, Blowouts, most goals, shutouts, etc. (feel free to think of others)

RULES/ITEMS THAT WILL BE CHANGED FOR NEXT SEASON

- 2 half deadlines instead of 3 month deadlines (first half and second half)

- Level A and Level B Leagues. Level A will be top tier players and Level B will be 2nd tier players/rookies decided by Mat and myself.

- A max of 20 teams per league (Level A and B), for a total of 40 possible teams per System (playoff team count depends on league size) for a grand total of 80 possible teams in the League next season

- Home/Away records will show on the Standings page along with your last 10 games played record

More to come as I think of it! Let the brainstorms begin!

-Evan

Forgive my ignorance, but some of the proposed changes such as equal strengthed players and other game hacks, is this easily possible for the SNES? I know the sega CD version is more easily modable.

I personally like the way the rules are set up now. I don't think it would be as exciting if there were Mtl vs Mtl or teams with generic players with equal ratings. Mind you I say this as the coach of Ottawa so I am just looking forward to coaching any other team ;)

A reverse draft or something similar I am interested in. It would be a challenge and an equalizer for the elite coaches to try thier hand with a less talented team.

my 2 cents.

Really, what's the point of forcing anyone to be the crappy teams?

We don't keep track of player stats, so there's no need for every team to be used. No one wants to be one of the crappy teams, so why force someone to be them? That's a question that needs answering, seriously, think about it.

What this league is all about is the fierce competition of guys who love NHL 94 so much they're still playing it almost 13 years after it came out. It's not about the competition between the teams, it's about the compeition between us humans!

Therefore, the standings shouldn't list team names, they should list our names, we should be able to play as any team we want for our games. That way, the better player will win, not the better team.

Let the real competition begin.

no way, its cool that you are one team throughout, and a MTL vs MTL game is about as exciting as an enema. there should be no team repeats in the league, and each player stays with teh same team. is there is too many peeps, make two leagues with relegation adn promotion. fair division of teams is a question, they should be redistributed somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how possible this is and such, but since we are in control of the team as a General Manager basically what about trading players? Maybe have a trading deadline of the first half of the season, and all trades have to go though the Commisioner or Administrator in this case(Maybe only update the trades or signings for a download once a week so that all trades that occur during the week aren't final until the weekend or something?). However the Commissioner would have to update the rosters/rom for everyone to have them updated. I think it would be good maybe to trade away an extra defender or center to another team to improve my style of play or just help out the team. Just a thought though.

hey evan,

i will have time during the day the next few weeks to get a stat database running on your server for the genesis league. i think this would be a great addition to the league even though i'm not currently a member.

let me know

d

aim is dhartman1900

if i dont respond i probably left aim running accidentally

Dmitry,

We gotta chat about that.

AIM: goldparalax

Email: admin@nhl94.com

It could be awesome, just gotta make sure it would easily incorporate into our system. Also we gotta go over it with Jacob (gesundheit39) to make sure things would work. Are you around this evening?

-Evan

The only problem with donny's (dmitry's) system is that there is no way to handle an incomplete game (desync, disconnect, whatever) except to replay the game in its entirety, and disregarding the previous results. Is there any way we can have the database set up so that it can accept multiple alphas/save states for a single game?

The only problem with donny's (dmitry's) system is that there is no way to handle an incomplete game (desync, disconnect, whatever) except to replay the game in its entirety, and disregarding the previous results. Is there any way we can have the database set up so that it can accept multiple alphas/save states for a single game?

smozoma's "hacked" Gens 2.11 allows direct save states to be done during netplay...so im pretty sure it can be resumed unlike alpha files.....this is HUGE for all 94 leagues ..it means no more Gens32, which everybody hates.

Once smoz gets back im hoping we can implement the stats database in the old .NET draft league.

Yes, if we went with the stats route.. I know we could save an alpha like after every period as a general rule. (can save it whenever you like)

Btw.. I've used Gens32 and see no problems.. whats the issues with Gens32?

Dmitry,

We gotta chat about that.

AIM: goldparalax

Email: admin@nhl94.com

It could be awesome, just gotta make sure it would easily incorporate into our system. Also we gotta go over it with Jacob (gesundheit39) to make sure things would work. Are you around this evening?

-Evan

i go to work every night at 8:45 PM EST. i work anywhere from 3-7 AM. i am free the rest of the day if i'm awake.

everything will work as long as you are running asp.net version 2 on your server. i can't see it taking more than a day or two to set up. after that the possibilities are endless with what you can do with the data--leaders, recordbooks, awards, standings, owner stats etc. all updated automatically. lets get it done.

d

i go to work every night at 8:45 PM EST. i work anywhere from 3-7 AM. i am free the rest of the day if i'm awake.

everything will work as long as you are running asp.net version 2 on your server. i can't see it taking more than a day or two to set up. after that the possibilities are endless with what you can do with the data--leaders, recordbooks, awards, standings, owner stats etc. all updated automatically. lets get it done.

d

.NET? omg I'm gonna ralph... unless asp.net is already installed on the server why wouldn't you just use PHP?