NHL'94 Forums

League Suggestions and Comments

mack

Hey guys,

Yea there's no way any leagues run by this website could ask for money. We do this for fun only.

-Evan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People get weird with money. I shudder to imagine the controversies over lag and rockymjc22-style nonsense if there was money at stake. Not to mention the the fact that right now this site is more or less left alone by people who could make things tough for us. With money moving around, that could change.

None of the games I played on the console in the '90s was for money, and I had a pretty good time.

People get weird with money. I shudder to imagine the controversies over lag and rockymjc22-style nonsense if there was money at stake. Not to mention the the fact that right now this site is more or less left alone by people who could make things tough for us. With money moving around, that could change.

None of the games I played on the console in the '90s was for money, and I had a pretty good time.

Ah, you're right... I hadn't even thought of the fact that we'd then be making money off a ROM. Not really MAKING money, since it's not-for-profit, but still... involving money could catch the attention of some people who have left us alone :D

Regarding the SNES setup guide found here: http://www.nhl94online.com/html/snes-zbattle-howto.shtml I think it should be mentioned that if TCP is required to play, then the host MUST be the player without the unsolved NAT issue. if BOTH players have unsolved NAT issues, they will be unable to connect even using TCP.

Also, for those who have Cisco Private Internet eXchanges (aka PIX Firewalls), the following are the commands to port forward both TCP and UDP port 7845 (obviously replacing values as necessary) :

access-list zsnes permit udp any host <publicIP> eq 7845
access-list zsnes permit tcp any host <publicIP> eq 7845
access-group zsnes in interface outside
static (inside,outside) udp interface 7845 <privateIP> 7845 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0
static (inside,outside) tcp interface 7845 <privateIP> 7845 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

• 5 months later...
I think that the game is much better when you use offsides and manual line changes.

Any1 agree?!!?!??

I like line changes, but I find offsides slow things down way too much, since the AI and passing isn't good enough when it comes to staying on-side.

Most people prefer to play with both off.

There was a league a couple christmases ago that had both on; I found the offsides were just a huge pain, but the line changes were interesting.

I think that the game is much better when you use offsides and manual line changes.

Any1 agree?!!?!??

HAY GUYS LETS BRING UP THE SAME POINTLESS TOPIC THATS BEEN DISCUSSED A BILLION TIMES AND SHOT DOWN EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Oh and for effect: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????!?!!111!!!!!111111eleven!!!!1oneeeee??????

A few people agree, but not enough for it to really matter. If you like off-sides and line changes, you're welcome to use them in exhibition games. You won't see them in the leagues though.

I like line changes, but I find offsides slow things down way too much, since the AI and passing isn't good enough when it comes to staying on-side.

I like line changes too, however for online play it just takes too long to have to set them up every single game. The only way I could tolerate them in league play is if you were required to use the default lines.

I like line changes too, however for online play it just takes too long to have to set them up every single game. The only way I could tolerate them in league play is if you were required to use the default lines.

In dmitry's old league, I found that most people could set up their lines in well under 30 seconds, so it actually wasn't too annoying (but it definately would have been nicer if it wasn't necessary at all).

I'm thinking of making a line-changes-on league in the next few months (but with all the different GENS leagues about to start up.. maybe not). With NOSE, coaches' preferred lines could be hard-coded into the ROM before the season.

In dmitry's old league, I found that most people could set up their lines in well under 30 seconds, so it actually wasn't too annoying (but it definately would have been nicer if it wasn't necessary at all).

I'm thinking of making a line-changes-on league in the next few months (but with all the different GENS leagues about to start up.. maybe not). With NOSE, coaches' preferred lines could be hard-coded into the ROM before the season.

See, now THAT would be nice. Even a no line changes league with each persons "usual" starting lineups (i know some guys like to switch it up) would be great.

• 1 month later...

Sorry but it won't happen for a number of reasons. The biggest being that I'm not going to spend any more time than I already have on creating all of the scheduled games :D

Also, we've set the expectation that players are playing 40 games this season. While half of you may want more games, the other half may not and since they didn't agree to sign up and play all games in a 60 game season that would be unfair for them to have to play more than what they signed on for.

It's possible we could do a 60 game season next time around if there was enough interest.

• 4 months later...

The 2008 Spring classic league will be gearing up within in another month or two. Feel free to make any suggestions for what you think might help make the league better.

The 2008 Spring classic league will be gearing up within in another month or two. Feel free to make any suggestions for what you think might help make the league better.

I like trying to align the leagues by GM locations (whenever possible). Matt Hurray suggested it on another thread and it makes a lot of sense. It should make the majority of games smoother.

Also, is there a way to keep player stats similar to the GDL? That's a pretty cool element.

In regards to coach-alignment, you don't want to do divisions just evenly and leave it at that (it's the problem the NHL has in the West, after all). Living in San Jose, I'd rather not get screwed by NHL94 as well as the real NHL.

I've been trying to figure out proper NHL alignment for a while now, and I think I could do it well with these leagues as well (and keep even numbers of games).

Nothing. Keep it exactly as it is. Oh, except for enforcing checkpoints. It was a damn good step implementing the checkpoint system, now if only we followed it..... :D

• 2 weeks later...

A suggestion that could be used is that we should have to upload our games like GDL so then we can see player stats and have scoring races and stuff like that. Other than that, everything seems good :)

You guys could adopt the scoring system I'm implementing for Capitalism League, instead of dealing with having to enforce checkpoints.

yeah, but then your league wouldent be that much different from the others, and decrease interest would occur, cause it would have nothing new to offer.

forget me im just babling at 4 am...

A suggestion that could be used is that we should have to upload our games like GDL so then we can see player stats and have scoring races and stuff like that. Other than that, everything seems good :)

What are you doing about desyncs and restarts in your league, donny?

What are you doing about desyncs and restarts in your league, donny?

In the GDL?

I made a program that can stitch together desynched games to preserve all the stats.. but no one ever seems to use it but me :)

Generally people just restart the game, pull the goalies, score goals until the old score is back, then play on (with the goalies back). Upload the final score, don't worry too much about the stats discrepancy.

In the GDL?

I made a program that can stitch together desynched games to preserve all the stats.. but no one ever seems to use it but me :)

Generally people just restart the game, pull the goalies, score goals until the old score is back, then play on (with the goalies back). Upload the final score, don't worry too much about the stats discrepancy.

I didnt know about the stitch program. Must have been brought up in when i took some time off (season 2). Hook me up.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the Aussie Rules playoff structure would be a good one to use in certain leagues.

In Aussie Rules, the top 8 teams make the playoffs and play a first round like such:

1 v 8

2 v 7

3 v 6

4 v 5

After the first round, the league reseeds the teams.

Top Ranked Winner 1

Top Ranked Winner 2

Winner 3

Winner 4

Loser 1

Loser 2

The two lowest-ranked losers are eliminated.

The two top-ranked winners get a bye for the second round, in which Winner 3 plays Loser 2 and Winner 4 plays Loser 1.

These losers are eliminated.

Then, for the semifinals the league reseeds again, and the winners go to the final.

The advantage of this system is that it affords a "double elimination" aspect to the best teams. Simply put, if you are a top 2 seed, you cannot lose in the first round, whereas if you're a 7 or 8 seed, you HAVE to beat the 1 or 2. The 3 thru 6 seeds bite their nails and hope for the best. This might keep interest higher later on by providing an extra incentive to play well.

Here's a sample tournament format:

ROUND ONE

1 defeats 8

2 defeats 7

3 defeats 6

4 defeats 5

7 & 8 eliminated

ROUND TWO (cannot play the same team twice in a row)

3 defeats 5

4 defeats 6

ROUND THREE

1 defeats 4

2 defeats 3

ROUND FOUR

1 defeats 2

Now look what happens when we throw in some upsets:

1 defeats 8

7 defeats 2

6 defeats 3

5 defeats 4

Teams 4 & 8 are eliminated.

Teams 1 & 5 are highest seeded winners.

2,3,6,7 all advance

ROUND TWO

6 defeats 2

3 defeats 7

ROUND THREE

1 defeats 6

3 defeats 5

ROUND FOUR

1 defeats 3

Thoughts?

Perhaps the Aussie Rules playoff structure would be a good one to use in certain leagues.

In Aussie Rules, the top 8 teams make the playoffs and play a first round like such:

1 v 8

2 v 7

3 v 6

4 v 5

After the first round, the league reseeds the teams.

Top Ranked Winner 1

Top Ranked Winner 2

Winner 3

Winner 4

Loser 1

Loser 2

The two lowest-ranked losers are eliminated.

The two top-ranked winners get a bye for the second round, in which Winner 3 plays Loser 2 and Winner 4 plays Loser 1.

These losers are eliminated.

Then, for the semifinals the league reseeds again, and the winners go to the final.

The advantage of this system is that it affords a "double elimination" aspect to the best teams. Simply put, if you are a top 2 seed, you cannot lose in the first round, whereas if you're a 7 or 8 seed, you HAVE to beat the 1 or 2. The 3 thru 6 seeds bite their nails and hope for the best. This might keep interest higher later on by providing an extra incentive to play well.

Here's a sample tournament format:

ROUND ONE

1 defeats 8

2 defeats 7

3 defeats 6

4 defeats 5

7 & 8 eliminated

ROUND TWO (cannot play the same team twice in a row)

3 defeats 5

4 defeats 6

ROUND THREE

1 defeats 4

2 defeats 3

ROUND FOUR

1 defeats 2

Now look what happens when we throw in some upsets:

1 defeats 8

7 defeats 2

6 defeats 3

5 defeats 4

Teams 4 & 8 are eliminated.

Teams 1 & 5 are highest seeded winners.

2,3,6,7 all advance

ROUND TWO

6 defeats 2

3 defeats 7

ROUND THREE

1 defeats 6

3 defeats 5

ROUND FOUR

1 defeats 3

Thoughts?

I've thought about that as a format for a seasonal league, but I think guys would just find it too confusing and it's just against the traditional Stanley Cup playoffs format, which guys are familiar with and which nobody really objects to.

I've thought about that as a format for a seasonal league, but I think guys would just find it too confusing and it's just against the traditional Stanley Cup playoffs format, which guys are familiar with and which nobody really objects to.

Sort of agreed, but it DOES provide incentive to play better in a unique way, and I think people would understand if you laid it out before the season started.

Sort of agreed, but it DOES provide incentive to play better in a unique way, and I think people would understand if you laid it out before the season started.

I certainly don't oppose your idea for another league starting up...but the classic league has had 4 seasons of best of 7 playoffs....I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.