League Suggestions and Comments

mack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
.NET? omg I'm gonna ralph... unless asp.net is already installed on the server why wouldn't you just use PHP?

PHP is so much more flexable. I'd be willing to lend a hand on any programming if needed.

I think the stats idea would add a dimension to that game that unparalleled!

Also, just to throw in my 2 cents, I think chosing teams in order from whoever finished last is definetly the way to go.

1st - Promoted/Relegated teams (with the relegation system.. this would only be nessisary for year 2 and beyond)

2nd - Reverse order from last to first in the standings

3rd - All new comers to the league (gotta pay your dues!)

It's definetly the fairest system and provides the best competition.

PHP is so much more flexable. I'd be willing to lend a hand on any programming if needed.

I think the stats idea would add a dimension to that game that unparalleled!

Also, just to throw in my 2 cents, I think chosing teams in order from whoever finished last is definetly the way to go.

1st - Promoted/Relegated teams (with the relegation system.. this would only be nessisary for year 2 and beyond)

2nd - Reverse order from last to first in the standings

3rd - All new comers to the league (gotta pay your dues!)

It's definetly the fairest system and provides the best competition.

i've done the stats exporter in php. See here as well as my league in my footer. all those stats were collected with this system. The non-voteable awards auto tally at the end of the year. i would be willing to help implement this system into some sort of online league.

Guest cr0ssbar94

EVAN:

You know how ESPN and Fox Sports etc. have "Power Rankings"?

How about if you set up a section called "Power Rankings"? The rankings would be done by you, and would be based on your opinion on who the best players in the league are, at the current moment.

These rankings wouldn't necassarily be based on standings, although it'd be relevant, but rather on ALL the intangibles and just basically your opinion (just like how the real power rankings are done).

For example:

NHL 94 Current Power Rankings:

1. KGMAN01

2. Canadiensfan66

3. thegr8199

4. Tickenest

etc. thats just an example by the way.

Thoughts? I think it'd be cool to see where the guys are currently ranked!

Interesting.. I'll think about it.. could be a small formula. Keep suggestions coming!

• 2 weeks later...
i've done the stats exporter in php. See here as well as my league in my footer. all those stats were collected with this system. The non-voteable awards auto tally at the end of the year. i would be willing to help implement this system into some sort of online league.

Had a look at your site. Increadable man, thats exactly what I had in mind. At the end of each game, rather than putting in your score you'd just upload your gamefile and all the data would be parsed from that.

Seems like a lot of work to impliment right away and obviously some bugs to iron out, but I think as this league grows and becomes solid, that is certainly where its headed (isn't technology wonderful?)

How about if you set up a section called "Power Rankings"? The rankings would be done by you, and would be based on your opinion on who the best players in the league are, at the current moment.

Did something like tihs for my hockey pool last year (out pool was team based, starting lineups). We did it like weekly and looked back at the last three weeks (obviously has to be adjusted as per how this league opperates) and how many goals were tallied that week and games won, etc. It's a really fun idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BSDaemon

My suggestion for Spring 2007:

Email coaches to let them know registration is opening!!!!!!!

The forum got kinda dead during the end of the playoffs... I had absolutely no idea that registration was opening again... Evan had said Sept/Oct, so I didn't come here for ages.

Not getting to play really blows......

Hit me up for some games though if you need some exhibition:

MSN: cathartik@cathartik.com

AIM: AIreadyD3AD (copy and paste... thats an i, not an l)

*crosses fingers for a dropout coach*

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few comments on the web site. Not problems, just things I think you should consider changing. The first is the link at the top of the forum page that links back to nhl94online.com. It opens the nhl94online.com site in a new window. I know you changed it the other way so when you click on the Forum link from the nhl94online.com window it opens the forum in your current window instead of a new window.

The second is on the individual team schedule pages. I would like to be able to click on the other team names to go to their team schedule page.

The next one might be a bit out there... but when I go to the main page at www.nhl94online.com I see the recent scores from the GENS A league. I can click on the other leagues to see their recent scores, but the default is always GENS A. I think it would be neat if I could have the SNES A recent games as the default instead of GENS A. Similarly I would like to be able to click on the Standings or Teams & Schedules link in the top menu and have it take me to my league standings without having to go through the Fall League -> SNES A menu (yes, I'm pretty lazy).

These last 2 changes would require the site to know which league you are in. I'm thinking you could provide a link at the bottom of the main page so you could set your default league and it would be saved as a cookie or something (so you don't have to tie it to the user management system).

rudy

Guest BSDaemon
These last 2 changes would require the site to know which league you are in. I'm thinking you could provide a link at the bottom of the main page so you could set your default league and it would be saved as a cookie or something (so you don't have to tie it to the user management system).

Cookies!

Some great suggestions here.

I would like to suggest for next season instead of the 1994 division alignments we align the divisions based on the location of the players.

I think this could help out with lag since the divisional games are now very heavy it would mean mostly better gameplay within divisions.

Example: I know there are atleast 4 guys in Toronto in GENS A we could make a Toronto division, a western division a Northeast USA division etc.. I think it would stimulate rivalries even more trying to fight to be the best in your area. :blink::)

Guest BSDaemon

That takes away from some of the authenticity of playing nhl94... however you're very right. especially since teams are put in their respective divisions due to team location for this very reason.

I think it's a good suggestion.

That takes away from some of the authenticity of playing nhl94... however you're very right. especially since teams are put in their respective divisions due to team location for this very reason.

I think it's a good suggestion.

I don't think it would work so well... at least in the SNES A league. I rarely encounter lag ( I :blink: UDP ). Another point is that the Deer, the94kid, and myself all live in the same city and we've played each other more times than we could ever count. I like playing different people. I suppose on the flipside if we had divisions by location it might be easier to schedule a game time since the time zones would be closer.

rudy

yea, i agree that division alignment based on location is a good idea, the rivalries would carry on year to year even if you change team.

hells yes it would make for great rivalries, I dont think it takes away from the authenticy I mean it IS supposed to be based on location so why not go with that, doesnt really matter if it doesn't match the original 94 alignment IMO. Lag isnt really a huge issue with GENS either however I think it would only help the league with this format.

• 4 weeks later...

i have mixed emotions with geographic regions, i like the idea of being able to build rivalries, but there is just something inside of me that says geographic regions arent right and keeping the divisions as is is the correct way to go. If i can ever figure out that reason you can be sure ill post it.

Keep the ideas coming. They're always welcome and appreciated. The geographic location one is interesting. I will go through all the suggestions between seasons to review which ideas could be used.

Also, for the good of the leagues:

It seems we will probably have 1 Snes League and either 2 or 3 Gens Leagues in the Spring 2007. This would probably benefit the Snes guys because I think we could put together 1 solid league with active players instead of 2 with scattered active players.

One thing we'll have to get sorted out with the stats is players' career records. Right now, we're not taking into consideration coaching replacements necessarily. We'll try to have that fixed between seasons.

Also, we will need 1 person per league to be in charge of making coaching replacements. This person would have to be one of the most active players who would know exactly who's around and who's playing games. More on this at the end of the current season.

We will also try to see if we can make the logging games page a little easier to read since there's been a lot of logging errors. Maybe we can somehow make the page layed out better for less mistakes.

That's all for now, just wanted to make these points known so we can all start thinking about it.

Keep up the great games!

-Evan

Try to have more incentive for people to play games, by say having DNPs deduct a point. With the way it is now people can just not play games they're sure they'll lose, but if you do this you actually get people to play, lest they have points deducted.

i like that suggestion, but in the interest of time it just seems like that would take up far too much. if 74 games were to even be considered, i would have to imagine the periods being a managable 5 minutes so that the games could be played in one sitting as opposed to 2 or more.

i like that suggestion, but in the interest of time it just seems like that would take up far too much. if 74 games were to even be considered, i would have to imagine the periods being a managable 5 minutes so that the games could be played in one sitting as opposed to 2 or more.

Very true. Not tomention all the teams can be used as it is, it's just that people don't pick teams like Tampa or Ottawa because the consensus is that they suck. Any team is good if you practice with it and get to know the setup.

I think someone plays San Jose though, IMO the game gave San Jose a bad rating just for being new. They're amazing.

The idea of letting everyone be whoever they want is bad, then everyone is going to pick good teams all the time. If you want to make it fair, make the teams random for every game. That way it will mostly be player ability, but there will also be the chance for upsets, and the underdog to take the title.

i like your idea and if not that maybe people shouldnt have same team more than one season

The idea of letting everyone be whoever they want is bad, then everyone is going to pick good teams all the time. If you want to make it fair, make the teams random for every game. That way it will mostly be player ability, but there will also be the chance for upsets, and the underdog to take the title.
i like your idea and if not that maybe people shouldnt have same team more than one season

I missed this idea the first time around; I kind of like it. Maybe there could be a way to randomize it when the schedule is generated so people would know well ahead of time who they would be playing as.

I really don't like the idea of making players have random team assignments. If a player is given a team, then can develop an identity with that team, as well as learn how to use that team specifically to their style. I think the current format is great, but the issue is how people are given teams. This season, I wasn't able to submit my team choice at noon for the A league because I was out somewhere. Because of that, I had a really low pick and got LA (my 9th choice I think). LA isn't bad... but they don't fit my style because of their poor defense (I make no apologies for my one dimensional style of play!)

I think the best solution would be to rank everyone based on this season's outcome, exactly how the draft is done in any pro sports league. The worst coach picks their team 1st. KGman, champion of destiny in many eyes, will choose last. This would create parity I believe.

As for newcomers to any certain league (A-league for example), have a committee of a few guys to actually play the person, and determine that player's skill level. Then they can be placed in the draft according to that skill level.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea to you guys?

I think I'd more be in favor of assigning players in a given league a randomly determined draft order. This reduces the complexity of figuring out what to do about league turnover and new players. And it would also make me worry less about the good players who fight hard to earn winning records with bad teams, with the reward being not getting a good team next time either. (Or the bad players who tank games at the end of the season so that they can get Chicago.)

Most fantasy football leagues do something similar, and I think it works okay.