NHL'94 Forums

Lost Connection :(

Eman

I starting playing online just this week. I only have 2 games under my belt, but both games have ended prematurely with a "Lost Connection ;)" error. Both games have stopped in the middle of the 3rd period (5 min periods)

Does anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions?

I have a Cable Broadband connection. I do have a Linksys router that I connect through, but if was a port issue, I don't think I could connect at all. In the 2 games that ended, I have used different servers and played different people. The only commonality is me.

I'm at a bit of a loss here since this is all new to me. Any direction would be helpful.

Do you have other programs running in the background that use the internet? Like bittorrent or other p2p applications?

I have to turn off my p2p stuff when playing, or my connection is bad. Some people even close their instant messaging programs to improve their connection (though I think that's taking it a bit too far).

My CPU Usage spikes when I run GENS. CPU usage is normally around 5%, but when I crank up GENS, it jumps up to 97-98% I need more memory I suppose, but its hard to imagine that a 16 bit game would require a memory boost for me to run it.

I think Gens always takes all your CPU power. It's just how it works.

After hearing this bit of info, I gave up on the utlization troubleshooting and focused on getting a good clean start.

I rebooted my computer, then downloaded a fresh copy of GENS (deleting my other copy). I turned off some extra stuff like my external hard drive and my web server. After that I was able to play two games back to back without much of an issue.

I assume my problem has been resolved, but I don't know exactly what "fixed" it.