NHL'94 Forums

GENS: How To Play NHL94 Against Other Users Online

Evan

Last Modified: April 1st, 2007

Hey guys,

This is one of the most common questions guys who just find this site ask. It's a great question, especially once you realized that you can show your skills to others besides your local friends. First, we have a whole page dedicated to this here: http://www.nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.shtml I highly recommend you read this page, since I took the time to add alot of information and pictures to help get you going. You may only need to view that page to get you started. If not, read on.

Here's the basic idea:

01. In order to play games online, you'll need a computer (Windows-based preferred) with a decent internet connection. We recommend a broadband connection like Cable/DSL over a modem connection.

02. You will need to download an "emulator" and a "ROM". An emulator is a program that simulates the game console (in this case the Sega Genesis/Megadrive). A ROM is like a cartridge, except it's just a file that has a .bin extension in this case. You can download the Genesis emulator and nhl94.bin files here: http://www.nhl94online.com/index.php On the right hand side you'll see an area called League Downloads. Simply download the Genesis Emulator and ROM there.

03. Setup your control pad configuration. This isn't a requirement, just more of a preference. Most guys use a control pad to play, though some guys actually do very well using the keyboard to play. This can be set under the "Option->Joypads..." menu option.

04. Test the game "locally" against the computer. This is shown in the getting started link above, just to make sure your game is playing ok on your computer.

05. Test the game against a user online. This is where guys usually seek help, since they don't know who to play against. After you sign up on the forums, it's probably a good idea to register on nhl94online.com registration page. This way, your information is entered into the online players list and guys can contact you. At this point, the person helping you setup the game can walk you through the process. It's pretty simple, and again, can be viewed on the getting started page linked above.

Eventually, we'll have an option for users on that list to specify whether they'd like to be contacted to help new guys get their game setup.

I will be adding information to this page, as well as others in the near future to help new guys find information and get setup online.

-Evan

Last Modified: April 1st, 2007

ok on your computer.

ok computer.

post-646-1175478410_thumb.jpg

Guest Wags13

I know you guys say here that its good to have everyone's AIM, etc in order to set up games..but couldn't you also just go up to the servers and find people there too? I see servers with lots of players on them.. isn't it just a matter of entering the server and sending out a message?

I know you guys say here that its good to have everyone's AIM, etc in order to set up games..but couldn't you also just go up to the servers and find people there too? I see servers with lots of players on them.. isn't it just a matter of entering the server and sending out a message?

Most people on Kaillera servers are playing fighting games, like Super Street Fighter Alpha EX Gold Volume III Hyper: Third Awesome Strike. You're better off prearranging things until you get to know who plays NHL '94. At that point you might be able to find games just by going onto Kaillera servers and asking them if you see them, but keep in mind that a lot of the time they'll have already arranged to play an opponent.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The netplay option should come up if you downloaded the emulator from this website. The kailleraclient.dll should be in your emulator directory. This is what gives the netplay option. Did you unzip the emualtor & files into a directory?

-Evan

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to this (the online thing, not the game itself) and when i click on "netplay" it says "error contacting server." Am I doing something wrong? I'd really like to get a game on with one of you guys. This site is seriously the greatest website I've ever stumbled upon.

Yes yes,

The anti3d Kaillera master list has been offline for a extended duration now. You will have to enter the IP to the sever you wish to play in manually.

Anti3d.com has a list of available Kaillera servers.

I actually had a NHL '94 server for about a year, but the tiny man (Julio) who rode the stationary bike that kept the server going found work elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you get online with a Mac?

If anyone does know, I would love to know. I'm very interested in playing this online.

x2

I have a PC as well, it's just more convenient for me to use my macbook (roommate always uses desktop for WoW or Counter-Strike). I think I'll try it out first with the Super NES version since I can't find a mac version of the Gens emulator. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 1 year later...
Right now, my computers a piece of crap

Its low on virtual memory so ill need a new one

just add more RAM if you can. it's cheap and works wonders. Computers these days are not slow (these emulators were written like 10 years ago), the manufacturers just cheap out and give you insufficient RAM so 2 years down the line you think you need a whole new computer.

get 2gb and you will be sailing.

my computer is from 2004 and has been fine since I added more RAM in 2007.

Edited by smozoma

just add more RAM if you can. it's cheap and works wonders. Computers these days are not slow (these emulators were written like 10 years ago), the manufacturers just cheap out and give you insufficient RAM so 2 years down the line you think you need a whole new computer.

get 2gb and you will be sailing.

my computer is from 2004 and has been fine since I added more RAM in 2007.

How do I add more RAM?

How do I add more RAM?

there are a lot of wepages on how to add ram, so try googling. but here are a couple quick answers.

way 1)

(let someone do it)

If your computer is from maybe 2006 to now, you should be able to bring your computer to a futureshop/bestbuy where they have an in-store computer service area. say you want more ram added.

if you're running XP, maybe 1.5 to 2 gigabytes total (you can often keep your current ram and add more alongside it)

or, if you're running vista, get 2 gigabytes total (again, you can probbaly add it to your current ram..).

(if the computer only has 1 ram slot, then you won't be able to keep your old ram)

they should be able to put it in right there in 5 minutes.. might cost around 150$ for ram and service (but ask first). it's usually really simple to put in, so hopefully they don't rip you off on service.

way 2)

(do it yourself)

google for the model of your computer and figure out what type of ram it has (DDR2, DDR3.. i forget the other types). open up the case and see how many ram slots there are and how many are in use (and hopefully the RAM in there says what type it is!). buy more of that type. stick it in. good to go.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying to play online and I followed the tutorial from http://nhl94online.com/html/getting-started.php#gens

However, I do not see the window titled: n02.p2p v0r6 when I choose netplay. Instead I see the Anti3D thing with a list of servers for all sorts of games.

Also, cannot change the mode to 1 P2P

Please help.

Thanks

hey you need the newer kaillera client. you can get it here, under downloads, first link.

http://kaillera.movsq.net/#

when you get this, put it in the folder you have gens in already and replace the current kailleriaclient. this will make it so you can stream servers that are up and use the p2p function.

• 1 year later...

am i missing something?

running gens 2.14 when i click file>netplay i get: 2rxe9ud.jpg

not this: gens-netplay-window.png

you have the non-p2p kaillera

download kailleraclient.dll from http://blitz94.com/downloads.asp and replace the one in your current emu

• 2 years later...

I get a "wine error" when I try to get my emulator running just locally. I have another emulator that works fine but not for online play. There is a list of wine versions for me to run my PlayonMac.exe through but I'm not sure which one to use or if that's even the issue. Anyone else with the same problem?