NHL'94 Forums

GENS is completely OBSOLETE...KEGA is the best online emulator (NO LAG AT ALL!!!!)

Guest cr0ssbar94

Guest cr0ssbar94

WOW why hasnt anyone caught on to this? Evan if youre reading this mabye you should consider dumping GENS and replace it with KEGA Fusion. Heres the download link:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/genesis/fusion.html

Basically, you open NHL 94, then go to "file", then "netlplay", and whomever is hosting, type in your IP address. THATS IT!!!! If you dont know your ip, go here:

http://www.ipchicken.com

I tried it out with angryjay93 (scribe and he discovered it THANKS GUYS!!)...its mindblowing. Its like youre in the same room playing on a console! TRY IT YOURSELF!!

LOOK all you have to do is type your IP and thats it!! NO disconnects either!!

I dont think I can go back to GENS now, its CRAP!!!! Evan please consider KEGA!! :D

This is to take nothing away from angryjay93 who is a fine man, an excellent opponent who completely owns me on defense, and - of course - a patriot. But I think Scribe99 deserves props for the recent re-discovery of / emphasis on Kega for online play (with apologies to wboy who suggested Kega well over a year ago and became the proverbial tree falling in the forest).

I'm certainly no Gens apologist but the fact of the matter is Kega isn't as perfect as you think. There may be little lag and few disconnects THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME but it is certainly not perfect. Me and Scribe both have suffered massive amounts of lag and a disconnect while using it.

Guest cr0ssbar94
This is to take nothing away from angryjay93 who is a fine man, an excellent opponent who completely owns me on defense, and - of course - a patriot. But I think Scribe99 deserves props for the recent re-discovery of / emphasis on Kega for online play (with apologies to wboy who suggested Kega well over a year ago and became the proverbial tree falling in the forest).

Sorry scribe!!! I give you credit!

Guest cr0ssbar94
I'm certainly no Gens apologist but the fact of the matter is Kega isn't as perfect as you think. There may be little lag and few disconnects THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME but it is certainly not perfect. Me and Scribe both have suffered massive amounts of lag and a disconnect while using it.

I admit I've only tested it with a few people but every time it has been flawless, better than GENS on its best day! With 0 ping on Gens, you still have some lag. You can have over 100 ping on KEGA and it feels like youre not even playing online it is so smooth! At least the guys Ive played so far. Have to test it more I guess!

Oh and lemme mention the sound qulaity on KEGA is much better than Gens as well? The sound when the puck hits the boards is great.

I agree that it's not perfect. If you play someone with a weak connection you can still experience lag, but for most of us that play gens right now, there's almost no stuttering or lag with KEGA.

The time we played and had bad lag, was also when my internet connection was really messed up. I found out afterwards and reset my modem, then my speed went back up. So I'm going to chalk up that one to my connection and not KEGA.

If you don't have a router all you do is enter your public IP address and you are playing. If you have a router you can set it up for KEGA, or you can both download hamachi, which connects you to someone else regardless of routers. Hamachi + KEGA needs to be tested out more, but so far I've had tons of great games with KEGA alone.

Guest cr0ssbar94
I agree that it's not perfect. If you play someone with a weak connection you can still experience lag, but for most of us that play gens right now, there's almost no stuttering or lag with KEGA.

The time we played and had bad lag, was also when my internet connection was really messed up. I found out afterwards and reset my modem, then my speed went back up. So I'm going to chalk up that one to my connection and not KEGA.

If you don't have a router all you do is enter your public IP address and you are playing. If you have a router you can set it up for KEGA, or you can both download hamachi, which connects you to someone else regardless of routers. Hamachi + KEGA needs to be tested out more, but so far I've had tons of great games with KEGA alone.

Due to the crappy service of my internet provider, I am forced to go back to DSL. I had no problems before with it, but KEGA should work fine with DSL too right? I'm on my last week with cable hookup. Thanks for finding this man, this is definetely the future. GENS is obsolete I dont think I can go back to it.

As far as connecting to other players, yeah.

Gotcha. GENS must have been REALLY obsolete, considering znes already had this functionality, and even has software so that you dont even need to know a person's IP.

Gotcha. GENS must have been REALLY obsolete, considering znes already had this functionality, and even has software so that you dont even need to know a person's IP.

I has more to do with the smoothness with which Kega plays at compared to playing Gens through Kaillera servers. Gens is much more prone to lag and choppiness than Kega.

Hey Scribe, why don't you look into and report back (in detail) on the setup of Dynamic DNS services like dyndns.org or no-ip.com that allow you create you own dns alias (e.g. wboy-nhl94.redirectme.net - redirectme.net is offered by no-ip.com).

Most routers support these services natively, though if not the providers have free software that does the job for you.

Then when you need to enter the opponents IP, you just enter their dns entry instead. It might not please your most dedicated zsnes zbattle fanboys in terms of simplicity, but its not a bad compromise.

Yes it even works for those with static ips.

Hey Scribe, why don't you look into and report back (in detail) on the setup of Dynamic DNS services like dyndns.org or no-ip.com that allow you create you own dns alias (e.g. wboy-nhl94.redirectme.net - redirectme.net is offered by no-ip.com).

Most routers support these services natively, though if not the providers have free software that does the job for you.

Then when you need to enter the opponents IP, you just enter their dns entry instead. It might not please your most dedicated zsnes zbattle fanboys in terms of simplicity, but its not a bad compromise.

Yes it even works for those with static ips.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check into that. Hamachi works great for those who can't access their routers but it's not as ideal as using Kega alone.

Yea.. I use one from dyndns.org. Works great and you don't have to remember or keep track of an IP address.

I checked into this more, and it looks like with these services you still need to assign your PC a static network IP address and open your ports, so the timesaver here would be not having to check your public IP before you play a game. I'm not sure it is that much of a benefit because the main hurdles people have, setting up a static network IP and port forwarding, would still remain. Which is where hamachi is nice because you don't have to do any of that.

ROFL hearng non-technical people talk about networking makes me giggle.

In that case, do you know of a way for people to connect without setting up a static IP or opening ports? :blink:

It's not that hard to do but for many they have no idea how to go about it, even with instructions. Hamachi is the only program I've found that tunnels through routers and is extremely easy to use. The only negative is that the free version encrypts the data that is sent so if your computer isn't powerful enough you may notice lag.

On the local router... setup up a reserved IP (via the DHCP service) by specifying the mac/hardware address of the network card in the PC you want to redirect the traffic to.

This takes care of setting up a static IP.

Port forward to the defined IP and your done. Nothing too it, even the non technical could manage if they learned to RTFM.

Dyndns is just a way to give you external IP address to the world (of your router) a nice domain name vs entering the numbers.

As for Hamachi, yeah, nice and easy... but I would I allow people to connect to me which effectively opens up my local network to their PC..... ummm no thanks!

ROFL hearng non-technical people talk about networking makes me giggle.

Huh... and just how educated are you in networking to apparently make this thread so hilarious? Guessing you are zbattle certified?

On the local router... setup up a reserved IP (via the DHCP service) by specifying the mac/hardware address of the network card in the PC you want to redirect the traffic to.

This takes care of setting up a static IP.

Port forward to the defined IP and your done. Nothing too it, even the non technical could manage if they learned to RTFM.

The only hangup is not all routers support that. My linksys doesn't unfortunately.

I don't bother with static IP. I just check my IP (start->run->"cmd"->"ipconfig") and then set up port forwarding in my router to that IP. My IP address on my LAN rarely changes, so this works fine for me, without static IP.

Huh... and just how educated are you in networking to apparently make this thread so hilarious? Guessing you are zbattle certified?

I dunno. I run the network for a state university, numerous certifications, years of experience, etc etc. Maybe those things don't count? :)

*shrug* you asked...

I dunno. I run the network for a state university, numerous certifications, years of experience, etc etc. Maybe those things don't count? :)

*shrug* you asked...

Well considerings its Kaillera that adds the netplay layer to Gens, I found it a tad amusing you called Gens absolute. :huh:

Why don't you your share proclaimed networking sk1llzors and assist others here rather than sitting back and having a chuckle at our apparent n00bness... potential suggestions could earn you so much respect here you can could even change your handle to "The Cisco Kid". :lol:

Well considerings its Kaillera that adds the netplay layer to Gens, I found it a tad amusing you called Gens absolute. :)

absolute? When did I say that? Don't make up things that I didn't say, thanks.

obsolete not absolute... my bad on typing the incorrect word... but you more than knew what I meant!

obsolete not absolute... my bad on typing the incorrect word... but you more than knew what I meant!

Right, sure, okay. So what was funny about that, exactly? I didn't call anything obsolete, either.

Right, sure, okay. So what was funny about that, exactly? I didn't call anything obsolete, either.

What part of your earlier post quoted below does not imply you are referring the Gens being obsolete as its doesn't have a service like zsnes's zbattle to help gamers find each other without knowing the opponents ip?

And now for something even more amusing (not funny).... for the record, Kaillera (as supported by Gens and numerous other emulators) does allows for gamers to join a publicly listed server, host a game and play each other without ever needing to know the opponents ip. The only time you need to enter an ip is if you join a private server, typically created/hosted by one of the competing players...

The similarity in Zsnes and Kega is that they have their own peer-to-peer based netplay model built in, where one players acts as the server... versus Kaillera which does it through the centralized server model.... where the server ideally exists equally between both players in terms of latency/ping response... admittedly not the easiest thing the achieve.

Now to my knowledge Kega doesn't have any service like Zbattle to help players find each other. With that in mind and again referring to your earlier post quoted above, is it safe to assume you would think Kega is also "REALLY obsolete" when again compared to Zsnes's Netplay. Its seems so, though I don't disagree a similar service would beneficial for Kega.

The End?