NHL'94 Forums

Resources for updating rosters

I'm wanting to update the rosters with current players via hexeditor, but I have no idea what ratings to give the players. Does anyone know of a website that rates players, maybe even somewhere to get video game stats from NHL 2005 or something?

Hey Red,

One suggestion I could make is, create a ratings system yourself. Most of the ratings go 0-6, and mostly 6's will make the player a 99 overall.

With that in mind, start with the "best" players in the NHL and work it down. I don't know of any sites that provide the ratings from the latest NHL games, but I would guess they rate every player a little higher overall then they should be to give it that "arcade" feel.

You can goto some of the NHL websites like nhl.com, espn.com, tsn.ca and get a general idea from what they say about the players. That's what my cousin and I did a couple years ago when we made the game with the nhl players.

Hope that helps a little.

-Evan

Thanks for the advise Evan. Unfortunately, I haven't followed the NHL too much for a couple years, but I could use the NHL sites. Do you happen to have a copy of the NHL Rom you made? That would probably be a great starting point for me.

Also, if the players are all rated 0-6, why are there such varied ratings in the game? For instance, if in agility 3 = 57.2 & 4 = 71.5, how is Kirk Muller a 67?

My cousin and I edited the ISO for Sega CD, so the file is about 170 megs. As far as the ratings, the reason Kirk Muller is 67, is the ratings are different every game depending if the player is hot or cold. If you look at his ratings in a hex editor, you'll probably notice he's a 4 agility.

I do have 2 older BIN files of the more current NHL players that Swos and Mash made from a year or 2 ago. If you want, I can email those to you. Also, check their site here - Swos's Website, they usually have the latest BIN file up.

You can email me at admin@nhl94.com

-Evan

Thanks again Evan. The ROM from the website you provided was what I was looking for. The ratings aren't what I'd hoped & could use some tweaking, but tweaking I can do.

Hey soccer1,

On the downloads page, download the bios file and use that as your config file for the sega cd version. This should make the game play.

Hope that helps,

-Evan

• 4 weeks later...

Evan, is there anything that I need to do (put in a code to edit the sega cd version to play it?) i loaded the sega cd version and i got sonic, then the game itself never loaded nhl94.

Evan , how do I edit the sega cd version.  I downloaded it from the site, and when i used the rar program to extract it, it didnt let me play it on emulator.  It said to configure bios/ files/menu

*** I updated the link in this post as of May 2nd, 2005***

Yea you probably have to configure the BIOS file.

01 - Download this file (this one works on my Gens emulator):

http://www.nhl94.com/multimedia/apps/us_scd2_9306.zip

02 - Unzip and extract this file into your Gens (genesis emulator) directory.

03 - Run Gens.

04 - Under the Option -> Bios/Misc Files... you'll see the directory for "Configure SEGA CD bios files". Next to the USA text field click the "Change" button and select that bios file you unzipped.

You should now be able to play the Sega CD file. Let me know if you still have any problems.

-Evan

• 4 months later...