NHL'94 Forums

To all who are thinking about quitting

I got beat up yesterday via AIM b/c I wasn't taking it easy on some of the new or inexperienced coaches in the league. In fact, I was told that some of you were considering quitting b/c you felt the score was ran up on you. I was even asked not to do that anymore. It was implied that I should hold back my game for less experienced players.

Is that what you rookie guys want out of the veteran players in this league? That is, someone like myself who has been playing this game for 14 years should now have to hold back for a guy who joined an online nhl94 league but has only been playing for a couple years? I don't really think anyone wants that. But if you guys do want it that way, do you have someone else that holds your dick for you when you take a piss?

It really upset me at first, any one of you would consider quitting this league. Secondly, I was embarrassed for the people that actually told me to tone it down... mostly b/c I think it's really an insult to the new coaches.

I want guys in this league who are serious about playing. Guys from last season like scribe, kingscuprun, dmac and donche have gotten significantly better through practice and even more so, you can tell they've learned from mistakes they made early on when they joined the community. Their effort and diligence speaks for itself. I used to be able to consistently beat all those guys and now I consider all of them a threat.

Please don't get me wrong with the tone of this message, I don't want anyone to quit. I'll help anyone who needs it. I've always tried to help anyone that has approached me in the past.

If you want help with your technique you can always ask me or we can practice together but when it comes to a league, it's a different level of play. Play the whole game, if you're getting beat, use it as a learning process. However, I don't feel sorry for anyone who continues to not learn from their mistakes.

It's also just humorous to me that the same guys that are berating me for running up the score are also the ones that ran the score up against me when I first joined this community.

This kind of stuff had NOTHING to do with me quitting, lemme get that out on the open. I resigned because I didn't feel that I've improved enough to keep up and not consistently be in a battle to stay out of last f*cking place. That's something I do not want or need. C'mon guys, where's the logic? Would a real NHL team keep a coach who has gone 8-56?!? No f*cking way.

NOBODY is asking you to go easy on newbs, but think about it from their perspective. How much fun is it to go into a game KNOWING THEY STAND NO CHANCE IN HELL OF KEEPING THE DAMN THING CLOSE? Think about it.

I've said my peace. Let the flaming of me begin, I really don't care. I have my reasons for resigning, and I have better things to do than to justify a damn thing to any of you.

so.... I really think that for guys that are getting blown out frequently, the solution was in the GENS B league. Unfortunately, that league is on hiatus, and we are only left with a highly competitive draft league.

In the draft league, running up scores happens more frequently because of the inclusion of individual statistics.

Do I look to see a guy get blown out? No.

Do I get pissed off and hate the dude for 10 minutes who did it to me? Yes.

Do I think we should add a mercy rule? No. This isn't 2nd grade tee ball, it is a videogame, and it is a league you joined voluntarily. If you want to quit,... then please leave, do not drag it out with drama.

I'll encourage guys to stay when they think about quitting, but at some point I'll just give up and say goodbye. Just remember, in the fall, there is a league that will cater to every type of gamer @ nhl94online.com. Until then, play scrimmages against guys of your ability, and get better until you can shove a 10-1 game back in the face of someone.

It will feel nice.

Just a thought but isn't it more patronizing if someone takes it easy on you because they feel you stand no chance of beating them? I think it shows more respect for the opponent to keep playing at 100%, not just mailing it in and passing the puck around when you are up by a few goals.

I understand the frustration, and I think there is a point where it can be disrespectful if someone is just toying with you on purpose. But if the other guy is just playing his game and keeps scoring it's probably not personal. They are just playing their game like always.

Guest Wags13

Here is a quick reply, from a new online player and new owner:

To the whiny baby new owners who feel like the score is getting run up on you: GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! You may be the best player in your bedroom, but its a whole new world out here.

To the veterans "running the score up". If they can't stop you, its not your fault. Keep scoring. When you play me, be ready to lose :lol:

This isn't life or death folks, if you are getting your ass kicked, it's no big deal. There isn't a fee for playing bad.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone running up a score - there is only a problem when people quit trying and people who are trying put up 20 goals. SSIG, what's the deal man? You don't like getting brutalized, I can agree with that, happens to me quite often. I mean, both of us were in the race for the last spot in the standings last year and I'm still here. It's totally disrespectful though to quit a season once you give your dedication to play. Play it out and complain about it later.

Who died and made you the voice of reason?

I'm done. That's all. Don't like it, too bad. I'm not the one who should catch any heat for it. I have just 3 simple words for those who question my quitting, but I'm not going to say them out of respect I have for dmitri, this league, and this forum in general.

Geez, sometimes you people never cease to amaze me.

No need to flame on SSiG here guys, he's a good guy. He isn't enjoying the league, so let him step out. It is allowing the opportunity for other guys with interest to participate.

Thanks for playing Magus, and if you want a scrimmage, send me an IM.

Nothing at all against SSIG, but if you make a commitment to play you should honor it. Especially with the draft setup like we have.

That said, I've broken commitments myself; I'm not perfect.

But I don't think you can argue with upholding the princple of honoring one's commitments. That was all I took from Edisaurusrex's comments.