NHL'94 Forums

First impressions!

Xstioph

I might have played a game or two before, but this is my first time that I really put heart into it. Yeah I know, being as big of a fan of the SNES version as I am it's weird to say that I've hardly even tried the Genesis version. Well here are my first impressions of the game:

Opening screen: Aaah, the wonderful Sega Mega Drive sound chip produces such awesome music! Yeah that's what we call this great machine over here. :blink: The thing with user records owned my heart right away. There was no big problem to get in to it, by all the hours, days and weeks I've spent with 95 and 96 on the Genesis. Basicly the same controllers and I've done my fair share of playtime with EA Hockey as well. When I first started playing (Detriot at home vs LA) the first thing that came to mind was the graphics, but that was only for a few seconds. Got a bit caught on the grunt cheking sounds, exactly as I remembered it from EA Hockey. But that didn't bother me for more than a few checks. Shot sound was more than alright, nothing beats SNES NHL 94's shot shound though.

Took 1:02 before Federov got the first goal, and another 25 seconds til the other one. Then it took a good 5 minutes until Yzerman popped another one, and a few seconds later when Federov slamed in the hat-trick goal there was no stopping me. 6-0 after the first period and 5 of the goals by Federov. The second period was signed Yzerman with 2 goals and one assist. 9-0 going into the third period. Struggeling with being on the top side a bit. Gretzky had a pair of chanses, one that should have been a goal, but not this time.

After only 13 seconds into the third, Chevledae gets hit into the goal resulting in the puck ending up in there as well... And a couple of minutes later the whole defense line falls appart and Sandström scores on a one timer from the left face off circle. The game finally ended 13-3. Can't say I was anything else then disappointed, at least with that start. Game was played with default settings except manual goalie (which I didn't get to try out too much). If this game had a season mode I would definately play it. But with single games, I see it as way to easy. Maybe and probably just beginners luck, but still. I find the SNES version being quite more challanging. The main screen music is just aaawesome, best version of that tune I've heard so far! The music in game was also very decent, but the sounds from the crowd were, ehm, "lame".

Final words:

Can't wait to play this online some time! Shame all of you seem to be on the other sid of the sea. :( Any europeans out there?

Aaah, the wonderful Sega Mega Drive sound chip produces such awesome music!

Pretty bizar...in the old days they always told me that the SNES had better sound and the Mega Drive (Genesis) had better graphics (in general that is).

Any europeans out there?

Raises his hand: Holland in the house!!!

But with single games, I see it as way to easy. Maybe and probably just beginners luck, but still. I find the SNES version being quite more challanging.

yes playing the computer sucks its way too easy... the multiplayer games is what makes it truely great.

by the way on your side of the sea there are quite a few finnish 94 online leagues..

Pretty bizar...in the old days they always told me that the SNES had better sound and the Mega Drive (Genesis) had better graphics (in general that is).

I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard the Genesis migtht have one of the worst sound chips, but I still like the sound like hell! I couldn't care less if it's not as good, technically, it still produces a very nice sound imo. 8) About the graphics, not sure.. I have played Earth Worm Jim on both consoles and can't say that I remember any big differance in graphics, but on the other hand, comparing i.e. Donkey Kong Country and Sonic is almost ridiculous, heh.

yes playing the computer sucks its way too easy... the multiplayer games is what makes it truely great.

by the way on your side of the sea there are quite a few finnish 94 online leagues..

Well I played with the "All-Star.bin" rom, and it was way harder! I could barely get a tie. Even though Lemieux still had almost 100 in stick handling, it was almost impossible to score with those left-right-left dekes.

I ended up on a #nhl94 on some irc-network, and it was filled with finnish people. Didn't stay around to talk to any of them (since I assumed they all played the Genesis version) but might see if I can find that channel again and challange someone.

I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard the Genesis migtht have one of the worst sound chips, but I still like the sound like hell! I couldn't care less if it's not as good, technically, it still produces a very nice sound imo. 8) About the graphics, not sure.. I have played Earth Worm Jim on both consoles and can't say that I remember any big differance in graphics, but on the other hand, comparing i.e. Donkey Kong Country and Sonic is almost ridiculous, heh.

Well I played with the "All-Star.bin" rom, and it was way harder! I could barely get a tie. Even though Lemieux still had almost 100 in stick handling, it was almost impossible to score with those left-right-left dekes.

I ended up on a #nhl94 on some irc-network, and it was filled with finnish people. Didn't stay around to talk to any of them (since I assumed they all played the Genesis version) but might see if I can find that channel again and challange someone.

Yep, #nhl94 over on IRCNet is for the Genesis version, since that's what they prefer.