NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey ad scan

clockwise

Love that cube, sphere, pyramid electronic arts logo from the day.

Good stuff clockwise. Did this come with your copy of the game when you bought it?

A EASN foldout collage poster came with the game.

I honesty don't remember where I got the ad from.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
You always amaze, I thought posters like that would be extinct by now.

Quick story about this ad - I used to get GamePro Magazine back in 1991. I got an issue with a Spider-man game on the cover being featured and when I opened the cover, that ad was in it. I was floored and had never been so excited about a video game coming out. I carried that magazine around all the time just staring at the two-page ad. Up until that point, the only two hockey games for the NES and Genesis were Blades of Steel and Nintendo Ice Hockey, so this was a huge jump in terms of both graphics and a different point of view. A video hockey game with REAL NHL teams and their logos, plus real players.

I already had a Sega Genesis (one look at the back of the John Madden Football box for the Genesis and I traded in the NES!) and back then there was no web, so you either pre-ordered games in the store or by phone. I was so obsessed about this game that I immediately pre-ordered it by phone and would call "Electronic Arts Direct" every week to see if a different person would give me a different release date for the game. PLUS during these first couple of years, if you ordered games thru Electronic Arts Direct, you'd receive the game in the mail about a day or two before it hit store shelves. I called that phone number so many times that I STILL remember the phone number: 1-800-245-4525.

Here's a scan of that GamePro Magazine cover (August 1991 edition)...yes, I still have that magazine - GREAT MEMORIES!

gameproaug1991.jpg

Edited by rangerjoe

Quick story about this ad - I used to get GamePro Magazine back in 1991. I got an issue with a Spider-man game on the cover being featured and when I opened the cover, that ad was in it. I was floored and had never been so excited about a video game coming out. I carried that magazine around all the time just staring at the two-page ad. Up until that point, the only two hockey games for the NES and Genesis were Blades of Steel and Nintendo Ice Hockey, so this was a huge jump in terms of both graphics and a different point of view. A video hockey game with REAL NHL teams and their logos, plus real players.

I already had a Sega Genesis (one look at the back of the John Madden Football box for the Genesis and I traded in the NES!) and back then there was no web, so you either pre-ordered games in the store or by phone. I was so obsessed about this game that I immediately pre-ordered it by phone and would call "Electronic Arts Direct" every week to see if a different person would give me a different release date for the game. PLUS during these first couple of years, if you ordered games thru Electronic Arts Direct, you'd receive the game in the mail about a day or two before it hit store shelves. I called that phone number so many times that I STILL remember the phone number: 1-800-245-4525.

Here's a scan of that GamePro Magazine cover (August 1991 edition)...yes, I still have that magazine - GREAT MEMORIES!

This is awesome man. The leaps that were made back in the day from 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit were mind staggering. Playing the Madden games for the Genesis was a big past time for me and my friends, and when we saw the screen shots in gaming magazines of the next generation of Madden games on the original PlayStation with polygons and what not made us feel like we just landed on the moon.

Will we ever have that jump again? I feel the jump from PS2 to PS3 was great.. but it didn't just blow people away like the old days. Maybe I'm being nostalgic:)

This is awesome man. The leaps that were made back in the day from 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit were mind staggering. Playing the Madden games for the Genesis was a big past time for me and my friends, and when we saw the screen shots in gaming magazines of the next generation of Madden games on the original PlayStation with polygons and what not made us feel like we just landed on the moon.

Will we ever have that jump again? I feel the jump from PS2 to PS3 was great.. but it didn't just blow people away like the old days. Maybe I'm being nostalgic:)

It's definitely incremental these days...

The leap to 3D was quite sudden, and a lot of change and innovation was made in a short period of time. Maybe the leap was made to feel "suddener" by how the N64, Dreamcast, and other systems were relative flops compared to the Genesis/SNES before them and the Playstation (and later XBox/PS2) after them.

I didn't know anyone with an N64 or Dreamcast.. or any of the other systems.

Yeah man, thanks...great memories. I remember the days of going into Electronics Boutique, Babbage's and Toys R Us to buy my games. I'm with you on the jumps in gaming platforms. The Genesis really was a huge launching pad for EA into console games, and their sports games shined on the Genesis. I have a ton of those old great games they made, including games of sports I've never even card about, such as soccer & rugby. They were such fun games to play, and the same went for the NHL series back then. They were also such easy games to pick up and play, making them appealing to those non-sports fans.

At one time Electronic Arts had an offer for the Genesis that if you bought 2 of their games you got a third for free (at least I think it was free). There were a list of games to pick from that were free. We had bought NHL 92 and Starflight, so we picked Jordan vs. Bird as the free game. I remember they also had The Immortal and Marble Madness to pick from, but I forget which other ones there were.

At one time Electronic Arts had an offer for the Genesis that if you bought 2 of their games you got a third for free (at least I think it was free). There were a list of games to pick from that were free. We had bought NHL 92 and Starflight, so we picked Jordan vs. Bird as the free game. I remember they also had The Immortal and Marble Madness to pick from, but I forget which other ones there were.

Yes, that's correct...Electronic Arts ran the Buy 2, Get 1 Free promo throughout the first couple of years. I ordered John Madden Football and pre-ordered NHL Hockey and I selected PGA Tour Golf as the free game. I still have all three.

I believe Road Rash was also part of that list...