NHL'94 Forums

Why do we take this game too seriously?

amen to that noise. About a year ago, i remember that the league was really about getting together and playing a game we love. Now it's about compensating for our failures to make the high school hockey team or be picked first in a pickup game of street hockey in your local parking lot. I think people who say they're just having fun with the game and then to do everything in our power to win a game (even cheat).

Why can't it be about fun anymore? What happened to that feeling of being content just to be part of a great community such as this? I think i made this realization only a few weeks ago. This game is being taken way too seriously. I'm at fault as well. I complained last season when i shouldn't have. And what did you guys tell me? It's just a game. Don't let it bother you too much. I think we should all be here to have fun, not to crush all the competition.

I think people who say they're just having fun with the game and then to do everything in our power to win a game (even cheat).

I'm curious about this... How do people cheat? I guess I can think of a couple:

1) Faking bad connections to get restarts or intentionally dropping a losing game

2) Hitting pause when the other guy has the puck to mess with his offensive mojo

Are there others? (I don't personally consider quirky game loopholes cheating, like Cross Crease Cheese or the 237 mph pass shot, but others may feel differently.)

I've played a lot of online games and tbere are always going to be comments like 'it's just a game', it's just for fun'. I'd like to know exactly what that means if someone can explain.

Because honestly the only reason I play any game, whether it's poker, boardgames, basketball, video games, is for the challenge. That's what makes it fun.

You can take anyone of those and when other people don't take them seriously or aren't trying to win, they become pointless to me. If I'm playing basketball and a game degenerates into people playing no defense and just goofing around, I'm done. Same goes for videogames. Playing Halo, if my team is just screwing off or playing halfheartedly, it feels like a complete waste of time.

By definition the objective of a game is to win. So really what is the point of playing any game without that in mind? If it's just a game, what is the problem with playing it the way it was meant to be played?

Maybe to put it better:

Enjoy playing in the leagues win or lose, while playing your best.

Just about everyone who plays knows how frustrating the game can be. We all have games where you play well but your team is just destined to lose, and you have the right to be frustrated. That rarely changes much in the bigger picture of an entire season. I haven't been involved in the draft league but I can offer advice for players from experience:

Play the way you like to play everygame and enjoy the experience. Naturally be competitive and try to win, and certainly practice vs. others often if you are new to the online game. The only way you can be one of the best is to play enough games online that you understand how the game/teams/players/coaches operate through an emulator.

If it takes a season to get killed a few times, then so be it. I played a season where I was something like 13-27 as the Rangers and Edmonton. Most guys I play would say I'm competitive where the game is usually close. Anyway, sometimes we also go through a tough season where the bounces go the other way.

As put by other guys here, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. This really does help put things into perspective. I also recommend talking with the guys in the league (using AIM/forums/PM/email) often to become more friendly. Believe it or not, this makes the games easier to win or lose.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts/advice to take as you please. We all want these leagues to be a success, so lets all be a part of the puzzle to make the whole work.

-Evan

my sence....first off lets not discuss cheating i havnt really been involved with cheating and lets not give people bad ideas...but guys i personally yuo are thinking on this to much people do get upset over games..but it is still for fun ...keep playin you guys all rule keep it up

• 2 weeks later...