NHL'94 Forums

GADZOOKS!!!!

The planet is 20.5 light years away, has a mass about 5 times that of the Earth (one of the smallest extra-solar planets discovered so far), has a diameter diameter not too much bigger than the Earth maybe 1.5 times, and has an average temperature somewhere between 0ºC and 40ºC (32F to (guessing) ~120F). I haven't heard anything about water on the planet, but I suppose it's a possibility.

let's see.. 4/3 pi * r^3......

if you say it's diameter is 1.5 times larger, but it's mass is 5 times heavier.... this planet's density is 150% that of the Earth's.....

leaving me to postulate that this planet is primarily composed of the same material the NHL94 creaters used to make Eric Lindros out of.

Well, I hope it's not that chain of bad clothing stores for teenagers that want to look like they're going to the club. Although who knows, bright shiny silver, muscle tees might be NJKiller's first wardrobe choice. You go Night at the Roxbury!

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/04...nce-planet.html

(emphasis added by me)

Astronomers in Europe have discovered the most Earth-like planet to date outside our solar system, one they say could potentially hold liquid water, a necessary ingredient to support life.

Scientists with the European Southern Observatory say the planet, discovered orbiting a red dwarf star 20.5 light years away, is the smallest of those found outside our solar system.

The planet has a diameter 50 per cent larger than Earth's and a mass five times as much as our planet. It orbits the red dwarf star Gliese 581 in 13 days at a distance 14 times closer than Earth's orbit to the sun.

But because red dwarf stars are smaller and produce less heat than our sun, the planet's close proximity puts it potentially within the temperature range that might support life, the astronomers said in a paper submitted as a letter to the editor in an upcoming issue of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

"We have estimated that the mean temperature of this super-Earth lies between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius, and water would thus be liquid," explained Stephane Udry, who is from the Geneva Observatory in Switzerland and the lead author of the paper reporting the result.

"Moreover, its radius should be only 1.5 times the Earth’s radius, and models predict that the planet should be either rocky — like our Earth — or covered with oceans," he said in the statement.