NHL'94 Forums

'94 Online League Template or "League Generator"

Evan

Hey guys,

I've decided to start working on an NHL94 Online League Template. Basically, this will be a way for guys to start and manage leagues through nhl94online.com themselves without needing any coding/html knowledge. This would be a huge addition to our site, just to name a few reasons:

1 - If any group of admins become busy over a certain period of time, there will be other leagues to play in.

2 - More league variety (an nhl91 league, a 3on3 league, whatever you can think of)

3 - Increased player spots. More leagues should give more guys opportunities to get in leagues.

4 - The website would keep track of all your stats through all leagues hosted on nhl94online.com, using 1 login/password.

Anyway, what I need from you guys is this: Reply with any options/settings that if you were to start a league you'd like to have access to. Here's a rough list I started just to give you an idea of what type of settings you may have:

- League Name (and logo if desired)

- Console (Gens, Snes, both)

- League/Conf/Div Setup (using A,B levels, etc.)

- Playoff Setup (how many teams make it, number of games per series)

- What ROM to use

- In-Game Settings (5 min periods, penalties on, etc.)

- How to draft teams

- Automatically would get an area on the forums

- You would assign your own "admin team"

- Decide to draft and/or trade players

- Uploading stats

Think about it, and try to put any ideas here you can think of. We're doing this for the good of online leagues. We are still going to have the Fall 2007 Season, but want to also get this started as well to make the online leagues grow. I know a few guys already who would be very interested in running a league through our website. Anyone who would be interested would contact me with their league idea. As long as the person does good things in the forums and has a plan, we'll accept it and give them access to a page where they could create and run their league. It would come up as a dropdown choice in the menu area of nhl94online.com. Sound good? I think so.

Thanks guys, looking forward to the ideas.

-Evan

Just a suggestion, I'm really not sure if I wanna do this, since I have a sim baseball league to attend to, and no experience whatsoever running a console league.

- League Name: NHL Retro

- Console: Gens

- League/Conf/Div Setup: 3 seperate groupings (A, B, C...10-15 teams in each, all teams selectable in each grouping)

- Playoff Setup: Top 6 make it, top 2 teams get 1st round byes.

- What ROM to use: NHL '91 by Clockwise (NHL 94 mod)

- In-Game Settings: 7 mins, Penalties on (No offsides), no line changes)

- How to draft teams: Sign up.

- Automatically would get an area on the forums: Your choice, really depends on how the thing takes off

- You would assign your own "admin team": I'd take Hartford, one of the worst, and place myself in the C division.

SSiG Edit: I misunderstood the question. No, I'd take care of everything I could myself.

- Decide to draft and/or trade players: No trades or draft, what you have is what you get.

- Uploading stats: I really don't know. If someone would make a game extractor compatible with the '91 mod, that could work.

Something else: At the end of the season, I'd want to run an offseason tournament with all the owners in the league. Single elimination, FA Cup style (England soccer tournament)

Evan,

This is a fantastic idea. I know that I've been thinking lately about starting my own league, but hardly have the time or knowledge of coding/html to do so. The league that I am most interested is the league that you run, the '94 Classic League. I think we could get the 2007 Spring League off the ground (with your authorizing copyright blessings), there seem to be enough people willing to volunteer their time to get it done- so many players were anxiously waiting for this season and would probably still love to try and play it (or something very similar to it), as the leagues on this site seem to hold the most merit in the community.

- League Name (Classic NHL '94 2007 Spring League (pending official authorization))

- Console (Genesis console)

- League/Conf/Div Setup (a minimum of 20 teams, depending on how much interest from players; the league, conference and division alignment would really be decided once the league interest is taken and teams are selected)

- Schedule (this would be decided once the number of member clubs would be determined; somewhere around the 40-game mark would be realistic)

- Playoff Setup (the top 8 teams in each conference, by point total, would qualify for the playoffs)

- What ROM to use (original NHL '94 ROM)

- In-Game Settings (5 minute periods, penalties on, no offsides, line changes are off)

- How to draft teams (draft selection would be at random, with each interested player submitting a list of team preference)

- Automatically would get an area on the forums

- You would assign your own "admin team" (an "admin team" consisting of highly-respected members of this community that would be interested and willing to be part of the league)

Obviously, an open league template would be great for the community.

I'm wondering how custom roms would be handled. For example, a 94 draft league, or even the 1991 rom. Would there be a way to populate your league's database with the correct players on the correct teams?

This is a fantastic idea. I know that I've been thinking lately about starting my own league, but hardly have the time or knowledge of coding/html to do so. The league that I am most interested is the league that you run, the '94 Classic League. I think we could get the 2007 Spring League off the ground (with your authorizing copyright blessings), there seem to be enough people willing to volunteer their time to get it done- so many players were anxiously waiting for this season and would probably still love to try and play it (or something very similar to it), as the leagues on this site seem to hold the most merit in the community.

I think the issue with Spring '94 Classic has less to do with time to administer the league than with time to get the web site and database ready from a code/html standpoint; right now we aren't ready for either. Evan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the plan is to address scalability of the leagues at the same time that the foundation for "new" Classic '94 is laid so that when Fall rolls around our only limitations will be creativity and commitment of league admins. Check out http://www.nhlgamer.com/ for one way in which this idea has been implemented.

Then we just brace ourselves for the epidemic-like explosion of popularity of nhl94.com, and we prepare to be worshiped for our three-digit member numbers.

Check out http://www.nhlgamer.com/ for one way in which this idea has been implemented..

Nice site, but it doesn't look like they have player stats. That's what I'm most curious about. Will the league template potentially support individual player stats and leaderboards?

Then we just brace ourselves for the epidemic-like explosion of popularity of nhl94.com, and we prepare to be worshiped for our three-digit member numbers.

Scribe totally has a two digit member number, what form of adulation greater than worship can we bestow upon him? We should make this league like the Stonecutters episode of the Simpsons where your number implies your social ranking.

Number 174 has spoken.

----> p.s.

Is there going to be a flood control on the number of leagues to ensure quality? I can see a lot of people registering a league only to have it run into the ground based on it's member population or administrator.

Is there going to be a flood control on the number of leagues to ensure quality? I can see a lot of people registering a league only to have it run into the ground based on it's member population or administrator.

Good point. The first members of the nhl94.com hotel will probably be somewhat preselected and battle-tested, but you're right. As things grow we'll probably need/want an uber-administrator, whose job would be to watch the leagues from the 30,000-foot level to make sure the admins are doing their jobs and the seasons are running smoothly.

Oh, and I picked up your dry-cleaning number 174. Shirts on hangers, light starch.

- number 369

Yea, like I said the admin team will approve of any leagues through the website. So not just anyone will create a league without us knowing about it. The admin team we currently have on the forums can help monitor the other leagues as well, to help out as they have time.

Scribe, do you mean your personal stats or the actual players stats? We hope to eventually have both, but def the coach's career stats to start.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!

-Evan

Scribe, do you mean your personal stats or the actual players stats? We hope to eventually have both, but def the coach's career stats to start.

I didn't mean coaches stats, although those would be nice, but individual player stats, goals scored, assists, etc. (ala Dmitry's setup).

I didn't mean coaches stats, although those would be nice, but individual player stats, goals scored, assists, etc. (ala Dmitry's setup).

Player stats within leagues will be supported, but it's possible they won't be in place right at the start. They're obviously popular, and the Draft League has shown that with a dedicated admin and committed players it can work (we've seen it fall apart in other leagues in the past). They probably won't be aggregated across the leagues the way coach stats will be though.

Oh and Number 44, now that I'm done with Number 174's laundry I'm ready for that... other... thing you make me do.

With grim anticipation,

Number 369

This is great stuff Evan! thanks a million!

member No:457

useless stat of the day -

Carolina's GM Jim Rutherford played 457 NHL games over 13 seasons with Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Los Angeles.

Oh and Number 44, now that I'm done with Number 174's laundry I'm ready for that... other... thing you make me do.

With grim anticipation,

Number 369

haha ... don't worry your hazing phase is almost over

Was in the process of getting some web forms up for nhl91.com to hold standings for a league, but this sounds cool, when do you think this will bear fruit Evan?

#194 + my birthdate = total # of natural disasters it takes to stop Roenick. That should at least get me a position as head waiter in the cabal.

Was in the process of getting some web forms up for nhl91.com to hold standings for a league, but this sounds cool, when do you think this will bear fruit Evan?

A NHL '91 league would be great fun, using your wonderful ROM that you spent hours on...judging by the response to your creation, I don't think you would have trouble filling up a 20-team, NHL '91 league (I know there are 21 teams, but 20 seems like a round number of teams easiest to handle).

I also wouldn't mind seeing a NHL '94/2007 ROM league using the www.nhl94.com template (instead of www.leaguedaddy.com) and featuring Mack's new Playoff Edition ROM hack that is on the way very soon.

I'm interested to see who will be first to create their own league with the website template...

Ugh, #582. What do I have to do? :)

Good point. The first members of the nhl94.com hotel will probably be somewhat preselected and battle-tested, but you're right. As things grow we'll probably need/want an uber-administrator, whose job would be to watch the leagues from the 30,000-foot level to make sure the admins are doing their jobs and the seasons are running smoothly.

Glad to see this issue addressed- and glad to know the admin team will not just be letting anyone at random create leagues. :)

Clockwise,

I would hope to have this available to guys late this year sometime. If you have something specific in mind, PM/email me the details.

-Evan

• 2 months later...

After running the snes nostalgia league so far...I think I may wait for this option to come out before I will run another league....as much as I enjoy running leagues..logging scores manually is the least enjoyable part of it...very time consuming obviously.

to my request...

I'm wondering if it possible to add something like kamoh's standings page...where you can easily track who's played who.

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3710

I think it's very creative and easy to read.

This is only a suggestion of course as this would be a luxury rather than a necessity.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

Well, almost a year later from around the time this topic was active and not much progress. I think that needs to change. Maybe with some brainstorming and help from guys here in the community we can create this League Generator?

Main functionality that we'd need off the top of my head:

- Decide on coding language, database type, etc.

- Being able to use any ROM, with various amounts of teams, players, hex offsets

- Keeping track of all "Save State" stats (uploaded into a database)

- Making sure all stats needed can be extracted for Gens AND Snes (not sure how far along the Snes is)

- The League Generator would need 1 main admin and a team the admin appoints

- When a league is created, it adds the league name to the dropdown on the homepage of nhl94online.com using 1 login/password for all leagues on that website. Changing the dropdown would change all the stats to that league.

- Would be able to change league settings and save them

- Would be able to generate a schedule automatically

- A full-blown userpage with an avatar, career personal stats, awards, etc.

There's probably a bunch more I haven't put down in this post, but mainly just trying to get back into the idea. The GDL site uses a system that seems to be ideal for most players. Maybe we could use that system on the nhl94online.com website. I'll have to chat with dmitry and any others who can possibly help.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get this rolling because I know this would make the leagues run much more smoothly. Here is where I got with the layout of the League Generator page last year: http://nhl94online.com/template/custom-league-setup.php

Let me know who may be able to help out!

-Evan

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get this rolling because I know this would make the leagues run much more smoothly. Here is where I got with the layout of the League Generator page last year: http://nhl94online.com/template/custom-league-setup.php

looks awesome evan!