NHL'94 Forums

I have several editing questions (help)

Guest cr0ssbar94

Guest cr0ssbar94

I'm trying to edit NHLPA 93.

How do I delete teams? (I am trying to make an NHL 86 rom and need less teams)

Where are the overall/power play/etc. ratings located when ron barr pops up? (I think it's at the end of team or something in hex editor I'll check into it)

How can I put up a different picture on the title screen? (May not be possible with '93. but just checking)

Any help with this from anyone, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

If you can't help yourself, don't expect others too. Or do you really want all the answers to your hacking questions handed to you on a plate... because you couldn't even bother to try search the forums for your answers?

I'm trying to edit NHLPA 93.

How do I delete teams? (I am trying to make an NHL 86 rom and need less teams)

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic...ost&p=15936 ... This data relates to 94. Learn from it, the data around it, and with some small investment in time, you'll work out how to do it for 93. Its not easy, but its not rocket science.

Where are the overall/power play/etc. ratings located when ron barr pops up? (I think it's at the end of team or something in hex editor I'll check into it)

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic...ost&p=15936

http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2935 ... In the thread (and others) where pretty much no one cared to looked into further... or even express any interests the efforts made to encourage more.... remind me why I waste my time here again? Maybe we should dust dump the editing forum after all.

How can I put up a different picture on the title screen? (May not be possible with '93. but just checking)

Don't bother.

Any help with this from anyone, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yeah right.

I think it's great that people want to edit the game, whether it is 94 or 93 or another year. Hopefully it turns out good, it sounds like you're not wanting to look past any detail to make your 86 rom. I don't think such a terse tone is necessary for a response, whatever you may think of his efforts in finding things out for himself. Hopefully he shares his hacked rom with everyone when it is done. And if asking for help from other people helps him get it done faster, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think it's great that people want to edit the game, whether it is 94 or 93 or another year. Hopefully it turns out good, it sounds like you're not wanting to look past any detail to make your 86 rom. I don't think such a terse tone is necessary for a response, whatever you may think of his efforts in finding things out for himself. Hopefully he shares his hacked rom with everyone when it is done. And if asking for help from other people helps him get it done faster, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

tone was only brought upon because of indirect reference made in my direction here .... http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic...ost&p=16819 ... then followed up by the other rant of a post that goes on about how useless this forum section is...

if I had that attitude to hacking... and depended on the knowledge shared by other members here... I would of gave up a long time ago...

I could have my own rant about the forum section was well... but whats the point.... nothing changed before... and I don't see it changing anytime soon... well, until the oracle who adds fighting to 94 joins the forum and puts an end to everyone's hacking holy grail. Judgment day does await us apparently.... well, for those who have faith (time to step up to the plate and deliver Tony H :D).

... well, until the oracle who adds fighting to 94 joins the forum and puts an end to everyone's hacking holy grail. Judgment day does await us apparently.... well, for those who have faith (time to step up to the plate and deliver Tony H :D).

You make it sound like the grand unifying theory of physics!

That would be excellent though. Certain players on here would have to stop checking my guys after the play.

Guest cr0ssbar94
if I had that attitude to hacking... and depended on the knowledge shared by other members here... I would of gave up a long time ago...

You're the coolest. I wanna be like you when I grow up.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Lets be buddies now. Dont take everything so personally, LOL. I like to complain a lot, it makes me feel better to vent. And bitching really does work! :D

crossbar,

Part of understanding how to edit the game requires seaching through these threads as wboy mentioned. These tasks cannot be accomplished by rushing things and getting quick answers.

On editing as a whole:

Editing the game is a "one-way street". You have to want to do it and put the time in, because the reward is playing your edit/hack and enjoying it. Chances are you don't want to make edits/hacks for others because that's just work unless you enjoy strictly making hacks. There's no money rewards for this stuff (although a few guys here have already mentioned they would pay for them hehe.) Wboy, no need to be sour. You can't expect the editing forums to be active all the time. If you're not doing this for your enjoyment or study, then what makes you work on these things?

All I'm trying to say is that you really have to put in the time and efforts, do your research, and a lot of trial and error. At times editing may seem like its more work than worth the result, but that's why you don't see everyone banging out hacks everyday. Yes, it can be frustrating.

I've done edits/hacks and enjoy working on them knowing it's personalized. It also requires focus and a lot of time (which I don't have lately). Alot of things in life nowadays are instant gratification. This is not one of those things.

crossbar, if I could help you I would. Unfortunately I've been out of hacking for a while now and would have to learn most things myself again. Hope something in these thoughts helps.

-Evan

• 1 month later...
Guest cr0ssbar94
crossbar,

Part of understanding how to edit the game requires seaching through these threads as wboy mentioned. These tasks cannot be accomplished by rushing things and getting quick answers.

On editing as a whole:

Editing the game is a "one-way street". You have to want to do it and put the time in, because the reward is playing your edit/hack and enjoying it. Chances are you don't want to make edits/hacks for others because that's just work unless you enjoy strictly making hacks. There's no money rewards for this stuff (although a few guys here have already mentioned they would pay for them hehe.) Wboy, no need to be sour. You can't expect the editing forums to be active all the time. If you're not doing this for your enjoyment or study, then what makes you work on these things?

All I'm trying to say is that you really have to put in the time and efforts, do your research, and a lot of trial and error. At times editing may seem like its more work than worth the result, but that's why you don't see everyone banging out hacks everyday. Yes, it can be frustrating.

I've done edits/hacks and enjoy working on them knowing it's personalized. It also requires focus and a lot of time (which I don't have lately). Alot of things in life nowadays are instant gratification. This is not one of those things.

crossbar, if I could help you I would. Unfortunately I've been out of hacking for a while now and would have to learn most things myself again. Hope something in these thoughts helps.

-Evan

Yes you're right Evan. I just wish there was an easier way to edit these games. Like an editor for dummies heh. Its just annoying everytime you wanna make a small change its a 200 step process. Like you said doesnt seem worth it. It doesnt help that my attention span is that of a knat either. Anyway I will not complain anymore please forgive my whining.

crossbar,

On editing as a whole:

-Evan

but could this also be part of the "problem"?

if everyone tried to start at the beginning, and work through all of it, it would take longer ..... would it be more sensible for the experts, and people who are putting in the time / effort / patience to rip apart the code and find all that there is to find ..... to pinpoint all those areas where other people can go straight into them ..... making it easier for less-than-capable people (like myself) to edit stuff!

i mean, for such a small rom, there's a heck of a lot of coding to go through!

to me, you are like pioneers in the field, hacking your way through the jungle to find a clearer path to that lost city ..... easier editing :huh: you lead others on, and indeed, yourselves to faster and more efficient hacking for more games!

i have always thought this would be the next evolution of the whole rom scene, where you can edit roms to individual tastes ..... even expand the roms themselves with more levels ..... eventually enlarging the games, making them harder etc!

i believe the whole point of engineering a rom is not just to make it better (or more up to date), but to make it easer for a lot more people ..... potentially a lot more people that will take up rom editing!

i myself was just going through the tmr30v1.0.zip with tile molester and seeing the results, and i'm going to make a list of the inputs for each one. it's fascinating stuff just how the rom is coded, and how different each part really is from one another!

you guys do a hell of a job in your spare time to do all this, and everyone here is grateful for all your hard work ..... but the whole idea of rom hacking is to make it easier ..... otherwise it will still be in the realms of the professional hacker, and that means it will stay where it is .....

at the beginning!

good luck with all your endevours guys