NHL'94 Forums

[9X Hacking] Game Geni(e/us)

wboy

Okay, so this post won't actually contain any hack information to alter the game play aspects of NHL 94 and other games in the series. Those posts will made very soon, and I'm sure even more will appear in the near future.

Before I make those posts, I need to thank the one person in particular who has made finding these hacks possible.

The person I refer to is Tony Hedstrom, site owner and main contributor of "The Code Hut", a site dedicated to original Game Genie codes for those retro systems we all still love. You can find his site at:

www.angelfire.com/games2/codehut/

After seeing one of Tony's recent post on the Acmlm's boards which featured some new codes for the Genesis Road Rash series, I thought I'd shoot him an email and ask if he'd be willing to help find some hacks for NHL 94.

Much to the overall benefit of this community, he accepted the offer. In just over a week he has already delivered on pretty much all of the requests I put through to him (and some of his own), many of which will allow the feel and balance of NHL 94 to be tweaked to ones liking even further (as Mack's NHL07 Playoff release has initally showcased). I must personally thank him for all the time spent on these find in the first week alone, as I know it things like this do take time and patience. I must also thank him for his detailed emails regarding the finds and other info he's sent to better educate me on the topic of finding/making such hacks.

Of the information that I'll post, many of the offsets for values found can be pretty much credited to Tony with a bit of research on my part to confirm the finding behaves accordingly. Of the odd things I've been able to work out was only made possible by the 'explore this' information provided by Tony pointing me to the right area of the rom where the action was at.

As the game engines in the NHL series are relatively similar, I've also been able to take the NHL 94 finds and use it to find the equivalent offsest in all other roms in the series. As such, most codes will be given for most years. When a good collection of these finds have been made, I'll most probably get a round updating NOSE to allow for such items to be edited within.

For those still running real hardware and wanting the actual Game Genie codes for such finds, please be sure to check Tony's CodeHut site, as I believe that information will be added soon.

Before some get carried away and think Tony is our man to add fighting to 94, or manual goalies/one timers to 93... don't get too excited. Such hacks is a whole different kettle of fish complexity wise.. and would require a serious devotion of time... and still not guarantee success. I don't even know if he'd want to try go that far, and if he didn't I wouldn't blame him!

Let the fun begin... (yet again). Post re: Player's energy, [C] thrust/check etc are one their way...

Thanks Tony! Not bad for a guy who first played NHL 94 when I asked you to find some codes for me! :lol:

PS. For those who may have any valid suggestions for future hacks/values to be found, feel free to post them within this thread.

Great work wboy and Tony! Your work and dedication is much appreciated by all in this community. If you are ever in contact with Tony again, ask if there may be a code to disable two line passes. Thanks again!

Great work wboy and Tony! Your work and dedication is much appreciated by all in this community. If you are ever in contact with Tony again, ask if there may be a code to disable two line passes. Thanks again!

Use 96... :) I think it was only introduced in 97 or 98?

But who know... it may be found one day! :lol:

Tony HELP US ADD FIGHTING. YOU WOULD BE THE NHL 94 GOD. WELL ONE OF THEM.

Even if the code that enables fighting was discovered, it's not simple as turning it on by changing the offset. The sprites for the fighting animation are not in the game, and getting the collision right would be tough.

Adding fighting to the game would be a HUGE project. Probably something I couldn't do.

Anyways, here are some of the Game Genie codes I've made so far...

NHL Hockey 94

RH7A-861A

Master code (use this code if you get a blank screen).

A40A-AA6J

The puck will always stay on the ice (when shooting).

YVKT-CCAR

The goalies can hold onto the puck 3x as long before the ref calls

a face off. Only works when the goalie blocks a shot, not when you

give him the puck.

AMLA-AA8G

Your goalie can hold onto the puck as long as you want without the

ref calling a face off.

AKMT-CA6C

Infinite energy bars (the 3 energy bars that show up when you have

line changes "on").

AV7A-AAA4

Energy bars only recharge half as fast when your players are resting.

CK7A-AAA4

Energy bars recharge twice as fast when your players are resting.

DP7A-AAA4

Energy bars recharge 3x as fast when your players are resting.

EV7A-AAA4

Energy bars recharge 4x as fast when your players are resting.

Let me know if you have any problems with these.

• Like 1

Guest cr0ssbar94
Tony HELP US ADD FIGHTING. YOU WOULD BE THE NHL 94 GOD. WELL ONE OF THEM.

Fighting in 94 will never, repeat NEVER be acheived because the graphics are not in the game itself.

If you want want fighting, play NHLPA 93. That game is better than 94 anyway (no offense Evan :).

... Let me know if you have any problems with these.

Tony H has entered the building... :) w00t!

Just to add, posts for some of the hack finds (game genie codes) Tony H has included in his first post like disabling the the whistle when the goalie holds the puck too long (and some others you haven't been notified of yet) are on the way.

I'm just going thru the process of finding the equivalent hack locations for all other years in there series before do so... hold tight...

Here's a new Game Genie code that's ONLY for fun. It has some unwanted side effects, but it's fun to play without some of the rules.

NHL 94...

AAXT-CA2A + ATWA-CA7G

Gets rid of some ref calls/penalties (icing, etc). This code is mainly for fun (can cause problems (like when time runs out, nothing happens, etc)).

• 13 years later...