NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Ok I will check out the Forum. I had an employee once put hamachi on our server and did some illegal activity seeing he had free roam to the computer. So that is my only concern. I can try to set up an old computer with nothing on it and use that. Plus I probably shouldn't be playing at work anyways but it would be the only way in life I would be getting paid to play hockey =)

There was a thread discussing potential Hamachi issues, but as far as I know, there haven't been any problems using Hamachi. If you're really nervous about having a P2P connection, you can always play via server (client), where you and your opponent connect to a server and play there. Also used frequently.

What is the risk of Hamachi? This is something I've never heard of before.

Hamachi puts you on a VPN with the other computers in your group. It's like you're on the same network. I get popups about other people's xboxes when I'm on hamachi.

I don't actually know much about (black hat) hacking/exploiting so I do'nt really know the risks.. but really people, just take 30 minutes to learn how to use your router and forward the p2p port instead of being on a VPN and having all your ports accessible!!

If you're worried about Hamachi, then follow a couple simple rules:

1) always turn it off when you're not playing nhl94.

2) if you're not playing against people in a hamachi network group, then remove yourself from the group.

The thing is, though.. how many guys playing nhl 94 in your hamachi networks would know how to break into your computer, or print 1000s of pages on your network printer?

Hamachi puts you on a VPN with the other computers in your group. It's like you're on the same network. I get popups about other people's xboxes when I'm on hamachi.

I don't actually know much about (black hat) hacking/exploiting so I do'nt really know the risks.. but really people, just take 30 minutes to learn how to use your router and forward the p2p port instead of being on a VPN and having all your ports accessible!!

If you're worried about Hamachi, then follow a couple simple rules:

1) always turn it off when you're not playing nhl94.

2) if you're not playing against people in a hamachi network group, then remove yourself from the group.

The thing is, though.. how many guys playing nhl 94 in your hamachi networks would know how to break into your computer, or print 1000s of pages on your network printer?

smozomaNHL94LEGEND

Don't wanna scare people, but I never had any serious problems on my computer until I joined this community & set up hamachi. Had a major issue with viruses & rootkits about 7 or 8 months ago & so removed hamachi. I got fed up of struggling with my bad ping in servers & so went back to hamachi about a couple of months later & noticed that the first time I set it up I didn't have windows firewall monitoring the hamachi connection. It now does & everything has been fine since, so I have no problems using Hamachi.

Occasionally after playing & closing down the computer I do get a "A recent attack was blocked" message from Symantec when I open up again, which is weird cos I deleted symantec off the system years ago! This message only ever pops up after i've been playing online with a hamachi connection though, so, who knows?!

Don't wanna scare people, but I never had any serious problems on my computer until I joined this community & set up hamachi. Had a major issue with viruses & rootkits about 7 or 8 months ago & so removed hamachi. I got fed up of struggling with my bad ping in servers & so went back to hamachi about a couple of months later & noticed that the first time I set it up I didn't have windows firewall monitoring the hamachi connection. It now does & everything has been fine since, so I have no problems using Hamachi.

Occasionally after playing & closing down the computer I do get a "A recent attack was blocked" message from Symantec when I open up again, which is weird cos I deleted symantec off the system years ago! This message only ever pops up after i've been playing online with a hamachi connection though, so, who knows?!

This is a good point, you still need a firewall active to protect you from other people's skanky, virus- and trojan-ridden computers.

Can you explain how you enabled windows firewall on the hamachi connection?

Also make sure you have an anti-virus installed. The free Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus is actually quite good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. I've only just found this site even exists about an hour ago, and I'm excited to see such a place exists. I only recently got back into playing NHL '94 when I d'loaded the GENS emulator, and I'm really happy to be playing it again. I missed the game a lot, I grew up playing it on the Genesis, and know that game backwards and forwards. I also find it a lot more fun than the current console NHL games. Anyway, I'm hoping to learn about editing the game, seeing what's possible and what isn't on that front. See you all on the boards.

Hello everyone. I'm super excited to have found this site. I must have played 1000's of nhl '94 games, and it's still my favorite. I have a question though...for league play what are the settings? Penalties on? line changes default, auto or manual? 5,10 or 20 min?

Hi, welcome! Most leagues use 5 minute periods, line changes off, and penalties on, except offsides. There is currently a 2012 league (custom ROM with '12 teams and rosters) that uses line changes and penalties on.

Let us know your AIM name so we can play some exhibitions when you're ready.

Hi, I'm new here. I've only just found this site even exists about an hour ago, and I'm excited to see such a place exists. I only recently got back into playing NHL '94 when I d'loaded the GENS emulator, and I'm really happy to be playing it again. I missed the game a lot, I grew up playing it on the Genesis, and know that game backwards and forwards. I also find it a lot more fun than the current console NHL games. Anyway, I'm hoping to learn about editing the game, seeing what's possible and what isn't on that front. See you all on the boards.

welcome to the site bud. lots of leagues...and lots of fun. post your aim...and play some games!

hey folks, new here. I primarily play NHL 96 but would like to join here for the online community. While I am a beast on NHL 96, it doesn't seem to translate to 94. I'm not used to the physics, technicalities, or the speed (slower than 96). In either case I love the game and would like to play online.

Little bit of background, started watching the bruins in the early-mid 90's, favorite player was Oates when I was younger. Played goal a lot and had a mask painted like Moog. All we did when I was younger was play NHL (insert year) on sega and play street hockey all the time. Fast forward to now and I am quite a happy Bruins fan, married, daughter, etc :) . Still love to play the old nhl games and thats why i'm here.

hey folks, new here. I primarily play NHL 96 but would like to join here for the online community. While I am a beast on NHL 96, it doesn't seem to translate to 94. I'm not used to the physics, technicalities, or the speed (slower than 96). In either case I love the game and would like to play online.

Little bit of background, started watching the bruins in the early-mid 90's, favorite player was Oates when I was younger. Played goal a lot and had a mask painted like Moog. All we did when I was younger was play NHL (insert year) on sega and play street hockey all the time. Fast forward to now and I am quite a happy Bruins fan, married, daughter, etc :) . Still love to play the old nhl games and that's why I'm here.

welcome to the site bud. I forgive you for being a bruins fan. jk. post your aim screename so that other gens memebrs can find you online and play you some exhibition games. once you play enough....there will be leagues you'll get to play in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first day here, Im from Australia and have been playing NHL for years, starting from playing it on the actual SNES when it was a thing, and then after that I played NHL 95 on PC, the engine of which is pretty much identical to the SNES. Absolutely love the game, it is a classic and still love every aspect of the game. Anyone else here from Australia?

Hi all, first day here, Im from Australia and have been playing NHL for years, starting from playing it on the actual SNES when it was a thing, and then after that I played NHL 95 on PC, the engine of which is pretty much identical to the SNES. Absolutely love the game, it is a classic and still love every aspect of the game. Anyone else here from Australia?

Welcome. And nice name btw.

Hey everybody, nice to meet you. I'm from Lexington KY USA but grew up in Cleveland OH where people knew a sport called hockey existed. If not for that, I would probably be on a Sonic Spinball forum or something. Started playing '93 in '92 and it was the greatest thing ever, and still is. Maybe in another 20 years I'll put the game behind me but only time will tell.

This seems like a great community although the '94 talk is a tad excessive. There are some really nice patches around that enhance the games without breaking them, which is great to see. Glad I found this place and hello all!

Hey everybody, nice to meet you. I'm from Lexington KY USA but grew up in Cleveland OH where people knew a sport called hockey existed. If not for that, I would probably be on a Sonic Spinball forum or something. Started playing '93 in '92 and it was the greatest thing ever, and still is. Maybe in another 20 years I'll put the game behind me but only time will tell.

Welcome to the site bud. Great to have ya.

This seems like a great community although the '94 talk is a tad excessive.

You've come to a site dedicated to nhl94 and you find the talk about the game excessive?

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here. First post.

Should I use the linked version of Hamachi from the nhl94online site or the latest and greatest from the main hamachi page?

Love this game!

Thx for your time and effort,

Riz

Newbie here. First post.

Should I use the linked version of Hamachi from the nhl94online site or the latest and greatest from the main hamachi page?

Love this game!

Thx for your time and effort,

Riz

welcome bud....have a test gaem with one of these buds and have them post on your behalf

http://nhl94online.com/html/online-players.php?lgtype=gens

Hi everyone. Huge fan of nhl 94' still playing everyday on my snes.

Using the quebec nordiques.

Cheers

SNES BUD!

http://nhl94online.com/html/online-players.php?lgtype=snes

play one of these guys and get confirmed for spring league!

Hi everyone. Huge fan of nhl 94' still playing everyday on my snes.

Using the quebec nordiques.

Cheers

Do either of you guys have an AIM name yet? If so, please post it.

This is a good point, you still need a firewall active to protect you from other people's skanky, virus- and trojan-ridden computers.

Can you explain how you enabled windows firewall on the hamachi connection?

Also make sure you have an anti-virus installed. The free Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus is actually quite good.

Sorry, only just saw this now!

Yeah, I have windows security essentials & I believe it's that which gives you more advanced firewall options, where you can elect that the firewall monitors the hamachi network connect (think its like "local area connection 4" or something?), aswell as allowing hamachi through the firewall as a safe connection at the same time.

I just searched "firewall" in the start menu & it showed windows firewall & something like "advanced firewall". That's where those advanced options are