NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hi guys, I just discovered this site, you're just amazing! You know, down here in Sicily ice hockey is not that famous and there is no media coverage whatsoever; I knew literally nothing about it before NHL'94, that baffling videogame I had as gift along with a more classic game for an Italian kid: FIFA International Soccer. But in the end, NHL became the favourite one to play with my SEGA Mega Drive (aka Genesis).

I didn't knew the rules (icing? offside?), the teams (I fell in love with their logos anyway) and - worse - I didn't even knew english back then! With a lot of effort I translated the manual and eventually I mastered the game. Then I started to praise NHL'94 with my skeptical friends and, after a while, grew up a sort of cult around this strange game of mine (I was probably the only kid in town with a SEGA system and almost certainly the only one who knew something about NHL). It was like an alien sport to us, but that videogame was freaking great!

After some years - thanks to the PSX and a broadband Internet connection - it was really nice to find out that Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky or the Stanley Cup itself were real. Yes, because I loved hockey and NHL for years without even to be able to see footage of the game! It was really strange, because for a long time everything I knew about hockey came from NHL'94, nothing more. No one here knew anything about NHL, beside me and my friends obviously (I just remembered that we even nicknamed a fellow of us "Samuellson", after Ulf. But to me, he was just a pixelated figure on a videogame).

I played (and I still play sometimes) NHL 2000 for PSX, but I always though that NHL'94 was the best among the EA titles. It's really fantastic that you love it just like me, I thought I looked to NHL'94 through rose-tinted glasses and I could never image *this*.

The website is really great and your effort is invaluable; I'm looking forward to play NHL'94 online... actually I'm not that good and it's a lot of time since I played against another human; I'm pretty sure I will be wiped out, but it would be fun anyway and sound pretty exciting to be able to play with someone after so many years!

Hi guys, I just discovered this site, you're just amazing! You know, down here in Sicily ice hockey is not that famous and there is no media coverage whatsoever; I knew literally nothing about it before NHL'94, that baffling videogame I had as gift along with a more classic game for an Italian kid: FIFA International Soccer. But in the end, NHL became the favourite one to play with my SEGA Mega Drive (aka Genesis).

I didn't knew the rules (icing? offside?), the teams (I fell in love with their logos anyway) and - worse - I didn't even knew english back then! With a lot of effort I translated the manual and eventually I mastered the game. Then I started to praise NHL'94 with my skeptical friends and, after a while, grew up a sort of cult around this strange game of mine (I was probably the only kid in town with a SEGA system and almost certainly the only one who knew something about NHL). It was like an alien sport to us, but that videogame was freaking great!

After some years - thanks to the PSX and a broadband Internet connection - it was really nice to find out that Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky or the Stanley Cup itself were real. Yes, because I loved hockey and NHL for years without even to be able to see footage of the game! It was really strange, because for a long time everything I knew about hockey came from NHL'94, nothing more. No one here knew anything about NHL, beside me and my friends obviously (I just remembered that we even nicknamed a fellow of us "Samuellson", after Ulf. But to me, he was just a pixelated figure on a videogame).

I played (and I still play sometimes) NHL 2000 for PSX, but I always though that NHL'94 was the best among the EA titles. It's really fantastic that you love it just like me, I thought I looked to NHL'94 through rose-tinted glasses and I could never image *this*.

The website is really great and your effort is invaluable; I'm looking forward to play NHL'94 online... actually I'm not that good and it's a lot of time since I played against another human; I'm pretty sure I will be wiped out, but it would be fun anyway and sound pretty exciting to be able to play with someone after so many years!

Love this post, was reading it with a big smile! :D

This is a great first post! And it touches on how NHL'94 was so amazing that it transcended all barriers. As someone said in another post, it is like if there was a Cricket'94 -- cricket being a game I have never played or followed -- and it became huge in hockey hotbeds like Canada where I live.

There is a documentary being made about this great game, and I wish the documentary maker (Mikey) had the budget to fly all over the world chasing great stories like yours.

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody - I've joined since I've played this game on the console, and play online a lot (QuakeLive, etc.). I'm a Mets fan and a soccer fan (and glad the Islanders are in Barclay's center now). I'd be happy for a game when I'm online (most weeknights = 6 PM - 12 AM)

Hi everybody - I've joined since I've played this game on the console, and play online a lot (QuakeLive, etc.). I'm a Mets fan and a soccer fan (and glad the Islanders are in Barclay's center now). I'd be happy for a game when I'm online (most weeknights = 6 PM - 12 AM)

Hey GusIslander, welcome to the community. No shortage of people you can find to play here online any given night.

If you're Gens, feel free to hit me up on my AIM located in my sig.

See you out there!

• Like 1

Thanks IAmFleuryisHipCheck - my AIM is victor100032@gmail.com. I won't be playing until Friday since I'm visiting my cousins, and I'd like to play some test games before I participate in any of the leagues (maybe some games tonight?).

Side note - I'm using an image from the Mighty Ducks cartoon show - anybody remember this? Hope to play sometime!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All,

I'm from the UK and I've been a massive fan of the NHL games since my first trip to the States (- Lacrosse tour of New England in 92). It was the first time I'd played on a Sega Genesis and NHL Ice Hockey was the first game I played - I remember being blown away by how smooth the players moved and loved the gameplay even though I knew nothing about Ice Hockey. As soon as I return to the UK I picked up a MegaDrive with EA Ice Hockey and then picked up NHLPA 93 as soon as it came out.

I have been playing NHL 94 emulated on my PC for the past couple of months and only just found this forum - Gutted that I just missed the registration deadline as I'm really looking forward to being able to play online in a proper league.

My AIM is Tyberkeley if anyone wants to get in contact.

Gutted that I just missed the registration deadline as I'm really looking forward to being able to play online in a proper league.

Well there are 3 leagues running atm that I know of: GDL, Classic and VHL. So do searches for the Wait Lists and signup! You may end up being a replacement coach and get in still!

Welcome to the community!

Edited by aqualizard

cool. do you have a group of friends that already get together to play on a schedule? what do you envision for expansion?

• 2 months later...

I've had NHL94.com bookmarked for a while, but I'm new to the forum side. It's nice to see how active of a community there is.

I grew up in the South where back in the 90s, hockey was not very popular. We had (and still have) a minor league team that plays locally but baseball and football pretty much dominate my region as far as sports go. I cut my teeth on NHLPA '93 for the Genesis back in 1993 when my neighbor's parents got him the game. I'd go over there all the time to play or he'd come over all the time to play since we both had a Genesis. Fast forward to Christmas of 1993, my parents got me NHL 94 for Genesis and my brother and I played all the time (usually one on one but sometimes two players on the same team). Being a fan of Chicago sports as a kid, I naturally gravitated towards the Blackhawks so I'd say NHLPA '93 and NHL 94 are what piqued my interest in the Blackhawks and hockey in general. I ended up playing little league ice hockey and roller hockey as well as street hockey in the cove as a result of playing those games.

I played NHL 94 for Genesis and SNES on and off with emulators for many years but never got involved in any online leagues or anything like that and, as of more recently, I have been playing a lot of NHL 94 (Genesis) as well as the amazing NHL 94 Genesis ROM modded with the 2016 roster on my NVidia Shield when I have time to (even if it's just to get away and play a quick game with 5:00 minute periods). I played the Genesis version way more than the SNES version because that's what I grew up on, but now I'm starting to get into the SNES version some more to familiarize myself with the gameplay mechanics and other differences.

The Genesis one will always be my favorite version of the game, but I've grown to appreciate the SNES version a lot more than I originally did.

I probably won't post here too often, but I like to lurk the forums since they're pretty interesting.

Welcome Yahrdme!

You can easily play some people online here if you get AIM and download the needed software. People are always looking for "exis"!

Welcome to the forurm and hopefully soon to online play!

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to say I'm really excited to get back into this great game. I'm from Green Bay, WI and hoping to grow a NHL 94 community here.

Welcome!

I think you are in luck cuz there is an NHL94 tourney about to happen in your home town! Did you know that? If not, here are details:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17554-sept-24-2016-green-bay-wi-king-of-94-wisconsin/

• 1 month later...

Hello boys! Avid '94er that can't get enough of the game. Never knew you could play online. I would love to join a league of possible. I'm a big Sabres fan but could never get them to play well on '94. Somehow I have more success with Hartford....ohhhhh that team chemistry.

Let me know about joining a league

Thanks

Hello boys! Avid '94er that can't get enough of the game. Never knew you could play online. I would love to join a league of possible. I'm a big Sabres fan but could never get them to play well on '94. Somehow I have more success with Hartford....ohhhhh that team chemistry.

Let me know about joining a league

Thanks

Welcome! The next Classic league is starting up VERY soon (anytime now), so this is a perfect time to join. Keep an eye out for an e-mail from the forums. In the meantime, I'd suggest getting signed up with an AIM account (www.aim.com) as this is the primary way we communicate for games. Just let me know your AIM name after and I'll add you to the general group chat.

Also, here's a quick tutorial video on how to get started playing on your computer:

I'm a big Sabres fan but could never get them to play well on '94. Somehow I have more success with Hartford....ohhhhh that team chemistry.

You're not alone! They are a bit notorious for having bad chemistry.

Can't believe I find this, my english is not the best but I will try to do my best to play online and have fun. I just trying to understand how to play online, good luck everybody!

Welcome! I think you're our first person from Argentina! Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're here to spread the joy! :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're here to spread the joy! :)

How can I find online players? There's some place to take a look? My aim martin22ich, if somebody is trying to play, just write me!

• Like 1

How can I find online players? There's some place to take a look? My aim martin22ich, if somebody is trying to play, just write me!

I added you to a group chat, next time you sign onto AIM, you'll be able to message everyone to see who's available for a game.

I don't think I've utilized this thread yet, and i'm relatively new so here we go.

Everyone I go by the handle Trojan, and I run retro video game tournaments and LAN parties out of Green Bay WI. I recently started the WI Chapter of King of 94, coincidentally hosting a tournament this coming Saturday.

I am eager to try out the online league scene once i figure out why my diagonals don't pick up on my controllers. So far the community has been amazing overall.

I originally cut my teeth on the PC DOS version, aka NHL Hockey, and discovered the magic of the Genesis version later.

I hope to meet many of you at our annual tournaments as our humble events grow in popularity.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey, new here, but not new. I originally joined back in September of '05, posted a few things, and well, went silent for 11 years :)

Like many, I bought the original game for Genesis, back in January of 94. I couldn't believe how much I loved that game, and still do.

So, a couple days ago I finally downloaded the Gen emulator, got a couple cool updates (I forgot who recently did the most excellent NHL 17 update) and had a blast with it so far.

Maybe I'll join up and do some online games, we'll see. But it's good to see this forum still going strong, with some great contributions from folks keeping new updates out there.

11 hours ago, LTNINGFan said:

Hey, new here, but not new. I originally joined back in September of '05, posted a few things, and well, went silent for 11 years :)

Like many, I bought the original game for Genesis, back in January of 94. I couldn't believe how much I loved that game, and still do.

So, a couple days ago I finally downloaded the Gen emulator, got a couple cool updates (I forgot who recently did the most excellent NHL 17 update) and had a blast with it so far.

Maybe I'll join up and do some online games, we'll see. But it's good to see this forum still going strong, with some great contributions from folks keeping new updates out there.

boom! welcome back to the site bud! also...make sure you attend King of 94 II tournament this year. save the date Sept.23, 2017.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, halifax said:

boom! welcome back to the site bud! also...make sure you attend King of 94 II tournament this year. save the date Sept.23, 2017.

Thank you Halifax! I saw that tournament mentioned, so I will indeed keep my eye out for it :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I just stumbled on this site by accident when I was trying to scrape my rom collection and it couldn't find the correct cover for NHL '94.  Wow I'm glad I did.  This looks exactly like what I'm looking for.  

I haven't played in a long time but am looking forward to try and get in some games and possibly a league.  I think I've got everything setup correctly but still havent tried connecting to anyone.  If anyone wants to try and help out please send me a message.

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Mark but I go by Ozik in the gaming world.  I've owned all versions of NHL '94 and played a lot when it originally released.  We had a group of about 8 that played nightly tournaments for money back in our college days.  We all graduated a couple years later than we should've probably due to this game and Tecmo.  My favorite teams back then were Boston and Vancouver.

I played a couple games this weekend and was having a blast so hopefully I can relive a little bit of my glory days.  Please take it easy on me!  I'm on east coast time (Dayton, OH) so hit me up if anyone wants to play.

Ozik

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ozik said:

Hello, I just stumbled on this site by accident when I was trying to scrape my rom collection and it couldn't find the correct cover for NHL '94.  Wow I'm glad I did.  This looks exactly like what I'm looking for.  

I haven't played in a long time but am looking forward to try and get in some games and possibly a league.  I think I've got everything setup correctly but still havent tried connecting to anyone.  If anyone wants to try and help out please send me a message.

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Mark but I go by Ozik in the gaming world.  I've owned all versions of NHL '94 and played a lot when it originally released.  We had a group of about 8 that played nightly tournaments for money back in our college days.  We all graduated a couple years later than we should've probably due to this game and Tecmo.  My favorite teams back then were Boston and Vancouver.

I played a couple games this weekend and was having a blast so hopefully I can relive a little bit of my glory days.  Please take it easy on me!  I'm on east coast time (Dayton, OH) so hit me up if anyone wants to play.

Ozik

Hey Ozik, welcome to the community.  I think you'll find a lot of guys with similar stories around here about how they got started playing '94.  I stumbled across this site back in 2006 I believe (wow, that's been a long time).  There's a great group of guys here that are knowledgeable and always ready to help anyone out.  If you back to your fighting weight here (hey even if you pop in casually from time to time), you should definitely consider coming out to Las Vegas for the King of 94 tourney in September.  I had a ton of fun at the first one in Toronto back in Sep 2015.  Again, welcome and have some fun!