NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hi Ozik,
I added you to the main AIM group, "GENS Buds" where you can look for games (we call exis).  Hopefully the invite shows up and you can join without issue. 

Welcome, and don't be shy, just jump in! :)

I found this site a few years ago but didn't join at the time.  However, I recently built a Raspberry Pi and was looking to get some ROMs of classic games I loved back in the day, and since I wasted many an hour in college playing NHL '94, I figured I would return and see what you had to offer.  

I was really excited to see that there are versions of rosters dating back into the late 70's and 80's, as that's when I developed my love for hockey.  I was in elementary school when the WHA and NHL merged and grew up in Pittsburgh as a Penguins fan from BL (Before Lemieux), so it was cool to see that I can play with those classic teams and rosters from when I was younger.  

My name is Richard, but I go by "The Captain" not because of sports but because of my love of Captain America (I'm a huge comic book geek, even moreso than a video game junkie); it's my screen name on a comic book forum I'm a member of.  Looking to enjoy the community here, as it looks pretty decent from what I've seen so far. 

2 hours ago, The Captain said:

I found this site a few years ago but didn't join at the time.  However, I recently built a Raspberry Pi and was looking to get some ROMs of classic games I loved back in the day, and since I wasted many an hour in college playing NHL '94, I figured I would return and see what you had to offer.  

I was really excited to see that there are versions of rosters dating back into the late 70's and 80's, as that's when I developed my love for hockey.  I was in elementary school when the WHA and NHL merged and grew up in Pittsburgh as a Penguins fan from BL (Before Lemieux), so it was cool to see that I can play with those classic teams and rosters from when I was younger.  

My name is Richard, but I go by "The Captain" not because of sports but because of my love of Captain America (I'm a huge comic book geek, even moreso than a video game junkie); it's my screen name on a comic book forum I'm a member of.  Looking to enjoy the community here, as it looks pretty decent from what I've seen so far. 

Welcome, Captain!

We've got several guys here from Pittsburgh, although they're AL (after/anno Lemieux).

Hope you can find what you need, if not, just ask.

Captain my Captain, we grew up in the same era!

Long before most of these whippersnappers around here.

I love making roms from that era.

I hope you have tried and enjoyed mine.

The 1976 rom has the WHA teams from that year as well, but you would need to use EARE to activate them.

I never finished the player ratings for those teams.

• 2 months later...

Hey, what's up guys. Just found this site randomly. I play the old NHL games all the time and got curious if there were any roster updates floating around. Very cool to find this. Excited to be a part of the community. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigMan said:

Hey, what's up guys. Just found this site randomly. I play the old NHL games all the time and got curious if there were any roster updates floating around. Very cool to find this. Excited to be a part of the community. :)

Welcome!

There are SNES ROMs over in the SNES Downloads area, however I don't see any up-to-date ones. The SNES editing scene isn't very big because the tools for it aren't very good.

There are plenty of Genesis ROMs, though. Here's the latest (April 6th)

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I am a huuuuge fan of NHL94. I am an better player on the Snes version, but I also play the Genesis one.  I have been trying for a while to edit some teams, player and logo for the Snes version. I see a lot of tools  around,  but it seems more tricky for the Snes Version. Is it even possible? (even if I don't understant programming to much...?)

Thanks for all your help, 

From Moncton, Canada

Welcome Turcos and Oliver,

to get games in see here: Test Games and Getting Connected

As for Turcos's question about SNES hacks, you should start a thread in the Hacking subforum to get answers... people are less likely to see your query buried in this I'm New thread. :) 

The off season? Ha, truth be told I am not a hockey fan.  I just like playing NHL94.  I haven't watched an NHL game in years, which is ironic, cuz I live in Toronto, a true hotbed of hockey.

• 1 month later...

I am home! Hello I'm new but this what I've been looking for, I have only ever stopped playing NHL '94 when I was without my SNES for a short while. Curious, has anyone decided to only score one timers against the computer because scoring is just too easy? Also, highest scoring game? ASE vs. VAN 108-4 in a 20 minute period game a looooong time ago. I can't believe I just happened to stumble in here today!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokillny said:

I am home! Hello I'm new but this what I've been looking for, I have only ever stopped playing NHL '94 when I was without my SNES for a short while. Curious, has anyone decided to only score one timers against the computer because scoring is just too easy? Also, highest scoring game? ASE vs. VAN 108-4 in a 20 minute period game a looooong time ago. I can't believe I just happened to stumble in here today!

Welcome to the site bud!

22 hours ago, Mokillny said:

Yes, scoring with only one-timers is a fairly common way to play against the CPU :).

TwinGalaxies.com runs official video game records.  There are particular settings to use (such as 10-minute periods) and it looks like the current record is a 58-goal differential: http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=23450

Here is someone's 72-0 (10 minute periods) game, I guess they haven't submitted it properly / yet: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17070-nhl-94-snes-72-0-using-twin-galaxies-criteria/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! My name is Blake! I'm only 15, but when I was younger, I used to play NHL 94 on my Sega Genesis all the time! It's awesome  knowing there's a community dedicated to improving the game with modern-day rosters, teams,and uniforms! I'm having a blast playing it on my PC right now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blake said:

And more surprising is the fact in the 10+ years this site has ran, this name was not taken.

Welcome to the site bud!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

with a few new SNES folks discussing the ability to hack the game, I am here to recommend the ROM mapping thread(s) in the SNES editing section.  a lot of thick stuff is stacked there.  bring a knife, but there is plenty to do once it starts to click.  the editor is easy to use as long as your lines don't call for deleted player slots to load -- that crashes it.  welcome and PLEASE help to revive SNES work.

Edited by tru

Hey guys! Brand new here. Grew up playing hockey in Buffalo in a hockey family. I live in Sunny California now, but nothing can take me away from the sport!

My first video game ever was NHL 94, and the PC version of NHL 95 is still my all-time favorite game. I logged a lot of hours back in the day on the genisis, but I just put together a RetroPie and boy am I rusty.

I'm pretty competitive by nature so if there are any guides it must-watch videos for someone trying to play a little a catch up, please point me in the right direction!

• Like 4

Hey Scamy,

I wrote a Guide for New Members you may want to look at.

And there are videos if you look around, including whole 7 game series as well as small tutorials, but you have to hunt them down here and there.

But if you are competitive, you should join a league!  Fall Classic is open for registration any day. 

Welcome!

• Like 1

How's it going guys! New guy here stumbled across this site on reddit when I was searching for answers on how to use the universal xml scraper.  Glad I found it because '94 has always been the go to drinking game with buddies.  Never hurts that I fell in love with the game watching swingers too! Didn't realize that this community was so deep. Ready to dive into all the information that is ahead for me.

• Like 4

Welcome!  There is a ton of info here, that is for sure.  (Some might be hard to find, but it is here somewhere.)  I recommend using the Guide For New Members link 1 post above yours. I wrote it for new guys specifically.  And it is completely current (hot off the presses, so to speak)...

Community is very deep.  We have both online leagues, plus live events.  You and your buddies should jump in! (Or, just you read up on all the tricks of the trade here, and start smashing your buddies out of nowhere! :P)

If you are interested, the Fall Classic online league is now accepting new participants...

3 hours ago, bhenady said:

How's it going guys! New guy here stumbled across this site on reddit when I was searching for answers on how to use the universal xml scraper.  Glad I found it because '94 has always been the go to drinking game with buddies.  Never hurts that I fell in love with the game watching swingers too! Didn't realize that this community was so deep. Ready to dive into all the information that is ahead for me.

Welcome, bud

Feel free to ask any questions

35 minutes ago, LeifErikson said:

Hello, 

I am a rookie, and just getting setup with NHL 94 Online play. I have the emulator and would like to try setup a game with someone. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

Josh

Hi Josh!  Join our Discord channel and request a test game with anyone on the #classic-genesis channel.  

Here is the link: https://discord.gg/kvYSWWC

Hopefully we'll have someone online to walk through a test game (or two ^_^) with you.  Any issues, just send me a PM and we can schedule a time to play.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DaveHanson said:

whats up everyone. used to be on here 10 + years ago. Got the email invite to the best of 94 tournament and i thought i would check out the site again. looking forward to playing some league games here online.

Hey Dave, Welcome Back!

You should check out the Guide for New Members -- it has some up-to-date stuff that will help your return!

Also, if you join Discord, I recommend using your forum name: DaveHanson.  Just makes things less confusing! :)