NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hi everyone. I first joined back in 2008, but soon life got in the way and this never took off for me, but here I am trying again! I did pretty well in the Toronto King of 94 tourney a few years ago, and I wanna keep the passion going. Will try to get in a few games here and there and hopefully join the spring league. I just gotta figure out all the logistics of playing online — that's my biggest hurdle right now.

Edited by TheProfessor

there are some passionate SNESers that can help you get used to it.  I haven't gotten there, yet, either, but it must not be too hard, as that is what most of the active folks are here to do/discuss.  Bob Kudelski and Halifax are knowledgeable about setups, it seems.

11 hours ago, TheProfessor said:

Hi everyone. I first joined back in 2008, but soon life got in the way and this never took off for me, but here I am trying again! I did pretty well in the Toronto King of 94 tourney a few years ago, and I wanna keep the passion going. Will try to get in a few games here and there and hopefully join the spring league. I just gotta figure out all the logistics of playing online — that's my biggest hurdle right now.

welcome back!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! 

New member. Lurked around in the last few days reading about editing the game as I have this project of creating a rom based on all-time best rookies, Americans, Swedes, speedsters, Montreal Canadiens, etc.

I never tried playing in a league, maybe I would try playing exhibitions with some of you, if any are looking for partners for a game, let me know.

I'm from Montreal.

Cheers !

2 hours ago, Vevetzky said:

Hi guys! 

New member. Lurked around in the last few days reading about editing the game as I have this project of creating a rom based on all-time best rookies, Americans, Swedes, speedsters, Montreal Canadiens, etc.

I never tried playing in a league, maybe I would try playing exhibitions with some of you, if any are looking for partners for a game, let me know.

I'm from Montreal.

Cheers !

Welcome to the site! There's a few buds from Montreal here. Including @annatar, the best snes player in Quebec.

• Like 1

Wow Halifax you flatter me. :lol:

Hop into discord and look for me or anyone else who is around. There's not a big group these days and we don't always have a lot to say on the forum, but I'm usually good to play some games.

3 hours ago, hjak19 said:

I couldn't believe there actually existed a league for this game I love it. I hope to be able to join as soon as possible.

welcome to the site bud!

• 5 weeks later...

Long time lurker here - if any of you visit Nintendoage you'd know me as the hockey collector over there. I have around 250 different hockey games and variants. Just over a year ago I "discovered" a NHL series cover that hadn't been documented yet on the searchable internet, NHL 2000 with Richard Šmehlík on the cover (only released in Czech Republic). Just looking to meet other NHL series enthusiasts and collectors. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

80's kid here who doesn't like to run into a lot of problems with technology. I have a Windows 8 set up. Has anyone run into difficulty getting started playing with your computer?

This would be great to play in a league, SNES, or Genesis, I loved both in the 94' formats. Things got weird in the 95' formats, Genesis was better, but it seemed SNES just got worse, and I don't know why. 

Anyways, hi to everyone! 

On 1/31/2018 at 9:55 AM, Daigle_91 said:

Hey Guys!

80's kid here who doesn't like to run into a lot of problems with technology. I have a Windows 8 set up. Has anyone run into difficulty getting started playing with your computer?

This would be great to play in a league, SNES, or Genesis, I loved both in the 94' formats. Things got weird in the 95' formats, Genesis was better, but it seemed SNES just got worse, and I don't know why. 

Anyways, hi to everyone! 

Hey bud, cool name :-D Welcome! I think you should be able to use Windows 8 without issue. Here is where you download Hamachi, the emulator, and the Classic ROM:

http://www.nhl94online.com/ - go to the bottom right hand side in the "Download" area. Download the full package so you'll have everything.

Also, check this out to set up Hamachi --> 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the newbie. Been aware of this group for years but just became a member today. Genesis is my favorite version of this game. I'm a big fan of the game soundtrack and the organ music. I play this now via the GENS emulator.

I guess that's it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrkGcia said:

I'm the newbie. Been aware of this group for years but just became a member today. Genesis is my favorite version of this game. I'm a big fan of the game soundtrack and the organ music. I play this now via the GENS emulator.

I guess that's it.

Welcome to the site bud. ARe you playing against other competitors on the emulator?

On 1/31/2018 at 8:55 AM, Daigle_91 said:

Hey Guys!

Anyways, hi to everyone! 

Have you been able to get set up online to play others yet?

On 1/19/2018 at 1:06 PM, weekendroady said:

Long time lurker here - if any of you visit Nintendoage you'd know me as the hockey collector over there. I have around 250 different hockey games and variants. Just over a year ago I "discovered" a NHL series cover that hadn't been documented yet on the searchable internet, NHL 2000 with Richard Šmehlík on the cover (only released in Czech Republic). Just looking to meet other NHL series enthusiasts and collectors. 

awesome.welcome to the site!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  It's taken me 3 live (2 LI and HFD) tournaments run by Chaos and co. but I've finally taken the plunge into the online ranks.  It's taken a baby being born and investment in a windows laptop after a failed attempt at setting up a Mac, but I'm ready to bring my mediocre game here.  I played a CPU game on the rom and think I have everything else set.  I guess the next step is to play a test game or 2 so I know how to join and host.  Looking forward to playing with you all.  

Scotty

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeGartner22 said:

Hi everyone.  It's taken me 3 live (2 LI and HFD) tournaments run by Chaos and co. but I've finally taken the plunge into the online ranks.  It's taken a baby being born and investment in a windows laptop after a failed attempt at setting up a Mac, but I'm ready to bring my mediocre game here.  I played a CPU game on the rom and think I have everything else set.  I guess the next step is to play a test game or 2 so I know how to join and host.  Looking forward to playing with you all.  

Scotty

Welcome, amigo!  Better late than never!

Test games are easy to come by.  Check out:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18063-test-games-and-getting-connected/

While you are at it, check out this guide for new guys, too:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/18172-guide-for-new-members/

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new member but long time EA hockey on mega drive fan.

I was on the discord for the first time in a year and thought I might try and get a few games using Gens and Hamachi, but it isnt working lol. 

Hope everyone is doing well and making their way through winter. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone. Saw the news for the King of 94 tourney to be held right here in Vancouver. 
Thought there would be no better time than now to be part of the community. 

Quick story. We used to have NHL tourneys back when the first Electronic Arts hockey game came out NHL92?

We had this jar you would have to put a quarter in every time the following happened:

If you yelled or swore (parents were upstairs)

or when you would score an illegal/cheap goal. - The one where you would come in from the side and just kind of jam your stick through the net. No actual shot on net. 

After a month, that money jar will FILLED with coins I tell ya :P

I'm sure everyone has a silly story or 2 associated with the early NHL games. 

Glad to be on board. 

Cheers

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2018 at 12:27 PM, OliverJones1848 said:

Hey guys, new member but long time EA hockey on mega drive fan.

I was on the discord for the first time in a year and thought I might try and get a few games using Gens and Hamachi, but it isnt working lol. 

Hope everyone is doing well and making their way through winter. 

Welcome to the site! Lots of good people on discord to help out, so feel free to ask questions there.

10 hours ago, HiLite Reel Khalil said:

Hey everyone. Saw the news for the King of 94 tourney to be held right here in Vancouver. 
Thought there would be no better time than now to be part of the community. 

Quick story. We used to have NHL tourneys back when the first Electronic Arts hockey game came out NHL92?

We had this jar you would have to put a quarter in every time the following happened:

If you yelled or swore (parents were upstairs)

or when you would score an illegal/cheap goal. - The one where you would come in from the side and just kind of jam your stick through the net. No actual shot on net. 

After a month, that money jar will FILLED with coins I tell ya :P

I'm sure everyone has a silly story or 2 associated with the early NHL games. 

Glad to be on board. 

Cheers

I think Hilite Reel Khalil might one of the best names I've seen on here. Glad to see you've taken interest in the King of 94 tournament. Feel free to pose any questions here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Just decided to create an account. Ive been browsing this site for years, it's awesome.

Me and my buddies still play this game at least once every year and has been since it was released. All the memories I have of this game... :)

Well, I just wanted to say hello.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nikethebike said:

Hi everyone. Just decided to create an account. Ive been browsing this site for years, it's awesome.

Me and my buddies still play this game at least once every year and has been since it was released. All the memories I have of this game... :)

Well, I just wanted to say hello.

Hello!  Thanks for stopping in and hope you continue to enjoy...this game sure has lasting power!

• Thanks 1

Been a long while since I actually signed in here I believe. Super appreciative of all the hard work on the ROMS, including Coach Mac's '80 ROM, and Skip and naples' current ROMS! Would really like to get into some online play. I messaged on Discord with a guest account over the weekend, but no one was up for playing I guess. Are there any plans for a league for Skip's or naples' current roster ROMS? I saw a draft league just started. Anyways, go Canes even though it's been a rough season and hopefully I can get into some online gaming with this community. Thanks.

Edited by GoTitans21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoTitans21 said:

Been a long while since I actually signed in here I believe. Super appreciative of all the hard work on the ROMS, including Coach Mac's '80 ROM, and Skip and naples' current ROMS! Would really like to get into some online play. I messaged on Discord with a guest account over the weekend, but no one was up for playing I guess. Are there any plans for a league for Skip's or naples' current roster ROMS? I saw a draft league just started. Anyways, go Canes even though it's been a rough season and hopefully I can get into some online gaming with this community. Thanks.

Welcome GoTitans21!

Did you see this post: Guide For New Members?

For pickup games ("exis") I would say go to the #exhibition-games channel on Discord around 9pm EST if possible... that is often a busy time.  Though it never hurts to ask whenever, cuz you never know?

On 3/27/2018 at 10:36 PM, aqualizard said:

Welcome GoTitans21!

Did you see this post: Guide For New Members?

For pickup games ("exis") I would say go to the #exhibition-games channel on Discord around 9pm EST if possible... that is often a busy time.  Though it never hurts to ask whenever, cuz you never know?

I did indeed. I got Hamachi downloaded and made an account. I just haven't found anyone able to play when I've tried Discord. I've played using Gens offline. If only there was a more modern solution since the Gens emulator runs choppy at times, it seems like no matter what settings I run on. I have Ubuntu installed on my PC as well and it runs so smooth with that with Retropie. If only we could incorporate that as an option for netplay, even though I haven't tried it. Anyways, are there any non draft leagues that have line changes on that are planned for the near future? I just think it's cool having to incorporate line changes as part of your strategy. Thanks.

Edited by GoTitans21

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Like many, I was a long time lurker and now I'm hoping to be a contributor.  I just posted my 1st Genesis ROM (link below).  I'm working on another (different concept) but I'm keeping it under wraps until I test it and determine if I want to brave posting it.  My hope is to continue to contribute current season ROMs moving forward.  Hopefully, in ways that make them unique in some shape or form.  And, from time to time, maybe share any hacking wisdom I happened to (luckily) stumble upon.  I love hockey as well as NHL94.  This appears to be a great community and I'm happy to join!  Cheers!

• 5 months later...

This LONG-time lurker had something to post, but forgets what it was.  It was probably something related to the Super Nintendo or ROMs for emulators of it.  Anyway, "hi, everybody!"

edited in:  I remembered what I wanted to ask.  I touched my tongue to that third rail!  Wish me luck?

Edited by game-winning mullet
  • Like 1