NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hey all. Recently found out that competitive NHL 94 is a thing, so I went out and bought a Genesis and the game. I might look into playing online, and trying out updated rooms and stuff, but I’m mostly interested in playing locally with friends, and maybe organizing a tournament sometime. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I'm new to the online NHL 94 world.  I saw the Vancouver BC world championship on Twitch and thought I should give this a try.  I used to play NHL 94 religiously decades ago, so I'm curious to see if I can get up to speed with the rest of you.  I'm looking forward to playing in the league if I can get in.

• Like 5

Hello,

I've been a member for a while on this site, but just registered for this season's fall league. Looking forward to it. My name on Discord is GoCanes21, so can my username be changed to that on here? Also, I'll check discord later this week to see about playing a Retroarch game to get confirmed for the league. Thanks for the great work!

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, Acadicus said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to the online NHL 94 world.  I saw the Vancouver BC world championship on Twitch and thought I should give this a try.  I used to play NHL 94 religiously decades ago, so I'm curious to see if I can get up to speed with the rest of you.  I'm looking forward to playing in the league if I can get in.

Hey man I'm from Vancouver too and played at the tournament! It was so much fun and I'm trying to help build a stronger scene in our area. You should add me on Facebook (facebook.com/ryanventura604) and join the Vancouver Competitive Retro Gaming Club I started. We're gonna be doing meetups soon to just play casually to start. https://www.facebook.com/groups/334723767301923/

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, Acadicus said:

sick man.. welcome.. i was there too and it stoked my fire for 94 again. Gonna play in the league this year after a long absence..

• Like 2

Hey there, i just recoverd my old SNES from the attic, and couldn't stop playing NHL94.

... but i got reaaaally bad...

So anybody from europe around , for some online training matches ? 

(Europe juste because of the timezones)

Greets Bene

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 5:20 AM, KaBa78 said:

Hey there, i just recoverd my old SNES from the attic, and couldn't stop playing NHL94.

... but i got reaaaally bad...

So anybody from europe around , for some online training matches ? 

(Europe juste because of the timezones)

Greets Bene

There was recently a Europe League.  Check out channel  #euro94 on the Discord thingy...

A handful of European dudes are there, mostly from Finland, but I *think* I remember a dude from Germany.  Welcome!

On 11/13/2018 at 1:57 AM, aqualizard said:

There was recently a Europe League.  Check out channel  #euro94 on the Discord thingy...

A handful of European dudes are there, mostly from Finland, but I *think* I remember a dude from Germany.  Welcome!

As beeing in Helsinki once or twice per year i guess that is all right with me ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Triple A said:

i am new. can you guys set up a test game for me. thanks

Hi and welcome! :)

Here is help getting online: Test Games and Getting Connected!

And here is a Guide for New Members I wrote that covers a ton of stuff.

Hi there, beginner modder from Switzerland reporting in.

Confession: I never had a SNES or GENESIS as a child but I really love to emulate those systems on my computer nowadays. And as a fan of ice hockey it's a logical thing to play the old NHL games.
Then i found out about modding those games and this community and even felt deeper in love with the games.
I'm currently working on a Swiss Edition of NHL98 because I like the season game play but I will also create a '94 version of it soon.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sup guys? I bumped into the game on a SNES emulator and got the rest of the series. In some of the games, I play as the Quebec Nordiques (Hence my username) and on the others I choose random teams like the Islanders or the Canucks. Hopefully I can join a tournament to try it out and either win it all of fail miserably

• Haha 1

Hey everyone, Scatterbrainzz here saying hello from Green Bay, WI!  I have really been enjoying the emulator and this community....I've only been practicing against the computer but once I get the courage I'll start playing some online matches.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, Scatterbrainzz said:

Hey everyone, Scatterbrainzz here saying hello from Green Bay, WI!  I have really been enjoying the emulator and this community....I've only been practicing against the computer but once I get the courage I'll start playing some online matches.

To those that don't know, @Scatterbrainzz is the brainchild behind the name "Lord Manly's Cup", and the person most directly responsible for encouraging me to run NHL94 tournaments.  The irony here is that he's only attended 1/4 Green Bay tournaments. :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, Edge of 94' WI said:

To those that don't know, @Scatterbrainzz is the brainchild behind the name "Lord Manly's Cup", and the person most directly responsible for encouraging me to run NHL94 tournaments.  The irony here is that he's only attended 1/4 Green Bay tournaments. :lol:

That's about to change!  

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Sorry to bother you, but with my team in the thick of the playoffs, I'm looking for the Genesis version of the St. Louis Blues theme song in the game. I've found a few sound files on youtube from the game, but none of them were "Blues go Marching in". 

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks all. :)

8 hours ago, shmotz said:

Hi everyone.

Sorry to bother you, but with my team in the thick of the playoffs, I'm looking for the Genesis version of the St. Louis Blues theme song in the game. I've found a few sound files on youtube from the game, but none of them were "Blues go Marching in". 

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks all. :)

Here you go bud: NHL94_music_056.mp3

Welcome and enjoy!

20 minutes ago, shmotz said:

Thank you so much! You rock! What was your process? How'd you do it? :lol:

Ha, someone extracted all the sounds to mp3 a while back...I just had it handy.  It's actually a good question, I'm not sure how it was extracted.  My guess is some recorder software, we don't have a good music editing tool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingraph said:

Ha, someone extracted all the sounds to mp3 a while back...I just had it handy.  It's actually a good question, I'm not sure how it was extracted.  My guess is some recorder software, we don't have a good music editing tool.

Ah, that at least makes some sense. Thanks again. :)

Edited by shmotz

On 12/9/2018 at 2:59 AM, Kami3000 said:

Hi there, beginner modder from Switzerland reporting in.

Confession: I never had a SNES or GENESIS as a child but I really love to emulate those systems on my computer nowadays. And as a fan of ice hockey it's a logical thing to play the old NHL games.
Then i found out about modding those games and this community and even felt deeper in love with the games.
I'm currently working on a Swiss Edition of NHL98 because I like the season game play but I will also create a '94 version of it soon.

Awesome stuff bud. Loving seeing new mods being made!

On 4/22/2019 at 9:32 PM, Nordiques8699 said:

Sup guys? I bumped into the game on a SNES emulator and got the rest of the series. In some of the games, I play as the Quebec Nordiques (Hence my username) and on the others I choose random teams like the Islanders or the Canucks. Hopefully I can join a tournament to try it out and either win it all of fail miserably

join us in september for the world championships perhaps? go to ---> www.kingof94.ca

On 4/24/2019 at 2:17 PM, Scatterbrainzz said:

welcome...thanks for making those tiered graphics!

On 5/8/2019 at 12:05 AM, shmotz said:

Hi everyone.

Would love to see the blues win it this year. (even thought it would hurt my hockey pool).

14 minutes ago, TigerMacZ said:

Hiya, New to the forums I found the site a while back, but a fan NHL games on the megadrive/genesis.

how is everyone?

Welcome bud!  It's a great day for NHL94, whatever your preferred flavor.  This site is a great resource for getting connected to the online leagues, as well as for finding local tournaments, custom roms, rom hacking, and detailed team breakdowns from expert players.  Let us know what you're looking for if you can't find it.

• Like 1

I've been playing hockey video games since Ice Hockey on the Atari 2600 LOL!  I once ran a Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey site way back when.  I mostly cut my teeth on the NHL games on SNES. 

I am appreciative of the NHL games, and it helped me be one of the few folks in East Tennessee that understands hockey rules and can explain them to my family and in-laws LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

New here. My love stretches way back for NHL 94 and hockey in general. NHL 93 and 94 shaped me as a person. Allow me to explain in weird bullet points:

• I fell in love with hockey and started playing NHL 93 as the age of 12.

• As a kid I played roller hockey (not much ice hockey in Kentucky lol) and carried a puck around in my pocket. Weird....

• NHL 94 came out and I was obsessed. I still say it's the best sports game ever made (NBA Jam and NFL 2k5 are runners up!)

• I taped over my 5th grade talent show VHS with the 94 Stanley Cup Finals. Guess who beat my a**... my mom lol.

• I grew up and finally started playing ice hockey. Became a coach and dabbled in reffing.

I cannot wait to rekindle my love with this game! I'd be happy to get my ass kicked by you all sometime!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lockdown said:

New here. My love stretches way back for NHL 94 and hockey in general. NHL 93 and 94 shaped me as a person. Allow me to explain in weird bullet points:

• As a kid I played roller hockey (not much ice hockey in Kentucky lol) and carried a puck around in my pocket. Weird....

• NHL 94 came out and I was obsessed. I still say it's the best sports game ever made (NBA Jam and NFL 2k5 are runners up!)

• I taped over my 5th grade talent show VHS with the 94 Stanley Cup Finals. Guess who beat my a**... my mom lol.

• I grew up and finally started playing ice hockey. Became a coach and dabbled in reffing.

I cannot wait to rekindle my love with this game! I'd be happy to get my ass kicked by you all sometime!

Nice story, thanks for sharing it!

Can i ask how you found out about this site or what prompted you to search for it?

10 hours ago, Lockdown said:

Love this story.  One of the great things about this game is that it holds a special place in all our lives... and to love something for that long always comes with a great origin story.

It may have been years since you last fired up 94 but you wanted to see if there is anyone out there like yourself for the love of this game... which eventually led you, like so many of us, to this site.  I can tell you from my experience that you have found a community for camaraderie, competition and more information you can shake a stick at.  

Welcome!

1 hour ago, IAmFleury'sHipCheck said:

Love this story.  One of the great things about this game is that it holds a special place in all our lives... and to love something for that long always comes with a great origin story.

It may have been years since you last fired up 94 but you wanted to see if there is anyone out there like yourself for the love of this game... which eventually led you, like so many of us, to this site.  I can tell you from my experience that you have found a community for camaraderie, competition and more information you can shake a stick at.  

Welcome!

Thank you and this site is really great!