NHL'94 Forums

The Official "I'm New"/Introduction Thread

Chris

Hi Folks dmm1000 here from Donegal in Ireland

- i had joined way back a few years ago but never had a decent internet connection to do sweet FA - so now i have and want to dip my toes in the online waters. I am not a gamer of any seriousness - i've never had a "modern" console so to speak - i just dablle about on the PC, i did have a megadrive back in the day - went thru a few games Desert strike / Streets Of Rage was decent ......I always maintain over the years we've had games with beautiful graphics but only 10% of them were "enjoiyable" to play.

Then the NHL series came along and for me it changed EVERYTHING , i played them all, the early ones were great,  the more recent ones were over elaborate , had unnecessary tweaks and were being overcomplicated and had badly tweaked ice rink views , .but there was ONE GAME that stood out in that series ,as the mst realistic , a just about "right" learning curve & difficulty, perfect gameplay mecahics , ideal  balance between challenging and enjoyable, and gave the player the feeling of being totally in control , of course that game was NHL 94'. I thought I was an OK player until I had a look of some of the game videos of you guys (any female players on the site as a matter of interest ? you know you're ALL welcome ). The qualities and skills amongst the top players here are  just off the chart, never knew there was such a thing as a "pass shot" till I came here , nor did I ever manually control the goalie

Played a few test games and have so much improvement to do .  Think i'm the only one from Ireland on here (correct me if i'm wrong) , will do my best to recruit new players from here in Ireland and indeed this side of the pond

My hope for the future is that someone makes  a new Hockey game  with modern graphics , but with the Ice Rink views and gameplay mecahnics,speed and difficulty  of NHL94 intact.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 12:19 PM, dmm1000 said:

Hi Folks dmm1000 here from Donegal in Ireland

- i had joined way back a few years ago but never had a decent internet connection to do sweet FA - so now i have and want to dip my toes in the online waters. I am not a gamer of any seriousness - i've never had a "modern" console so to speak - i just dablle about on the PC, i did have a megadrive back in the day - went thru a few games Desert strike / Streets Of Rage was decent ......I always maintain over the years we've had games with beautiful graphics but only 10% of them were "enjoiyable" to play.

Then the NHL series came along and for me it changed EVERYTHING , i played them all, the early ones were great,  the more recent ones were over elaborate , had unnecessary tweaks and were being overcomplicated and had badly tweaked ice rink views , .but there was ONE GAME that stood out in that series ,as the mst realistic , a just about "right" learning curve & difficulty, perfect gameplay mecahics , ideal  balance between challenging and enjoyable, and gave the player the feeling of being totally in control , of course that game was NHL 94'. I thought I was an OK player until I had a look of some of the game videos of you guys (any female players on the site as a matter of interest ? you know you're ALL welcome ). The qualities and skills amongst the top players here are  just off the chart, never knew there was such a thing as a "pass shot" till I came here , nor did I ever manually control the goalie

Played a few test games and have so much improvement to do .  Think i'm the only one from Ireland on here (correct me if i'm wrong) , will do my best to recruit new players from here in Ireland and indeed this side of the pond

My hope for the future is that someone makes  a new Hockey game  with modern graphics , but with the Ice Rink views and gameplay mecahnics,speed and difficulty  of NHL94 intact.

Welcome to the site! Not sure if we've had any from Ireland here before, but we did have one guy who was from Northern Ireland play in some leagues several years back and he was pretty good.

thanks Halifax not a gamer and have never played online in anything ever before , 20 years spent playing NHL games against the CPU - thought i was decent - then i played head to head - totally different game - will be getting getting schooled for quite a while i think  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey!

i've been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up.

i'm phil, i'm from quebec city, and you'll get to know me better later on! will try and set up for a test game asap.

see y'all around!

• Like 5

Hey all.  Also a newbie to the online NHL94 circuit.  1st - thanks for doing this, especially right now.  Much appreciated.  2nd - Having trouble installing retroarch on my macbook, would love to join the Discord to ask some folks there for help. Unless someone wants to do that here. 

Thanks much!

Danny

1 hour ago, DNMK said:

Hey all.  Also a newbie to the online NHL94 circuit.  1st - thanks for doing this, especially right now.  Much appreciated.  2nd - Having trouble installing retroarch on my macbook, would love to join the Discord to ask some folks there for help. Unless someone wants to do that here. 

Thanks much!

Danny

Hey, jump on the discord and someone will help you out there!  Here's the link: https://discord.gg/H7vrytU

I'm not from somewhere cool like Ireland. Just Pennsylvania.I heard about this place due to the Lemieux tournament. I'm really excited to play more NHL 94. That was our go-to game to play together in college.

Shoutout to @lego who helped me test my connection and online play.

• Like 3

Been doing my own little playoffs going through each team, and playing with each of them, and halfway through round 2 of all the teams.

Now I've found this site, which has opened my mind. I went through most of Building Lines with AJ. How do I go back to what I knew?

Anyway, on a more serious note: I went on kingraph's nhl94strategy.com, but have found that there are no paragraphs written about most of the subjects. Anyone have any knowledge about that?

Thanks.

Is there any hope for a computer moron like myself to one day be able test my mettle against some of you? It would be a dream just to be able to play online, and join a Classic Gen and a GDL league.

23 hours ago, Mr. Derp said:

I went on kingraph's nhl94strategy.com, but have found that there are no paragraphs written about most of the subjects. Anyone have any knowledge about that?

Thanks.

I have not been able to update my site -- lack of focus and time on my part.  SO MUCH 94 stuff to do!  

20 hours ago, Mr. Derp said:

Is there any hope for a computer moron like myself to one day be able test my mettle against some of you? It would be a dream just to be able to play online, and join a Classic Gen and a GDL league.

100%, a lot good folks on here will be happy to take you through step by step.  We are just kicking off our SoChel online tournament and confirming plenty of new "computer morons" like yourself! :D

Information here if you're interested:

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/19805-sochel-distancing-nhl94-online-tournament/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking for about 8 years or so for roster updates(thank you) but the SoChel tourney finally pushed me to join. I joined the SNES SoChel tournament and mostly play SNES. However I will play either version of the game. I grew up on Gens NHLPA 93 and SNES NHL 94 as those were the carts my parents bought me and brothers.

I quickly dabbled into @chaos roster tool yesterday and swapped out Rick Tocchet from ASE to myself. Obviously I made myself 100 overall. I showed my wife in the game and she just laughed in pity haha. The only thing is if I go into Player Stats mid-game it freezes. I must be missing something and will need to research more when I'm not running around chasing my kid or changing his diapers. I hope to eventually create an all-time Bruins roster and maybe Detroit as a rival because the Habs don't deserve my time. :lol:

Anyways, this is an incredible community and I've been scouring the forums the past two weeks finding all kinds of stuff. Hopefully I can bring something to the party other than laughs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

I hope to eventually create an all-time Bruins roster and maybe Detroit as a rival because the Habs don't deserve my time. :lol:

Oh man, bring on the hate :rolleyes::electric_shock:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Derp said:

Oh man, bring on the hate :rolleyes::electric_shock:

LMAO I love the rivalry and I'm not dumb to discredit their fantastic history. I definitely have a respected resentment to them.

11 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

LMAO I love the rivalry and I'm not dumb to discredit their fantastic history. I definitely have a respected resentment to them.

Good, because the last thing I'm doing is getting into a debate about it :p The rivalries are great for the game. I've enjoyed Boston-Toronto the last few years just to see who will win the muckduck (thanks, Dwight) match.

I've watched almost every Stanley Cup-clinching game since 1996, and the only one that I couldn't handle was 2011. I had to turn it off. I was hoping it would light a fire under the Canadiens' collective butt...guess not. I was happy for Patrice Bergeron. Class act.

Edit: turn off = the celebration. I watched the whole game.

Edited by Mr. Derp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Derp said:

Good, because the last thing I'm doing is getting into a debate about it :p The rivalries are great for the game. I've enjoyed Boston-Toronto the last few years just to see who will win the muckduck (thanks, Dwight) match.

I've watched almost every Stanley Cup-clinching game since 1996, and the only one that I couldn't handle was 2011. I had to turn it off. I was hoping it would light a fire under the Canadiens' collective butt...guess not. I was happy for Patrice Bergeron. Class act.

Edit: turn off = the celebration. I watched the whole game.

It's only a matter of time before the Habs bounce back to being a contender. Stay patient. It was rough for Bostonwith the Canadiens winning in 93 especially after the B's having lost the 88 and 90 Stanley Cups against the Oilers. The Bruins were pretty good in the early 90s then Neely went down, Oates left town, and it was all blown up.

Bergie is the man. If he was on the Habs I would still love him. Class act all the way.

I grew up watching the Bruins and Red Wings(as my Western team) but now they're in the same division. I haven't paid as much attention to the Wings because they have sucked for a few years now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

It's only a matter of time before the Habs bounce back to being a contender. Stay patient. It was rough for Bostonwith the Canadiens winning in 93 especially after the B's having lost the 88 and 90 Stanley Cups against the Oilers. The Bruins were pretty good in the early 90s then Neely went down, Oates left town, and it was all blown up.

Bergie is the man. If he was on the Habs I would still love him. Class act all the way.

I grew up watching the Bruins and Red Wings(as my Western team) but now they're in the same division. I haven't paid as much attention to the Wings because they have sucked for a few years now.

Sometimes I tell myself that it's all good, that the wait will be worth it because then my kids will be old to enough to enjoy it. I was 6 in '93, so I have vague, but priceless memories. I can't imagine being a fan of a team that hasn't won in a long time, or ever.

19 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

It's destiny that he's a Bruin. You probably knew that he's from the Quebec City area, grew up a Nordiques fan, and hated the Habs. Many Nordiques fans have adopted the Bruins.

He also has Irish ancestry on his dad's side, so it fits perfectly with Boston. Have you heard that story?

2 hours ago, Mr. Derp said:

Sometimes I tell myself that it's all good, that the wait will be worth it because then my kids will be old to enough to enjoy it. I was 6 in '93, so I have vague, but priceless memories. I can't imagine being a fan of a team that hasn't won in a long time, or ever.

It's destiny that he's a Bruin. You probably knew that he's from the Quebec City area, grew up a Nordiques fan, and hated the Habs. Many Nordiques fans have adopted the Bruins.

He also has Irish ancestry on his dad's side, so it fits perfectly with Boston. Have you heard that story?

I too was 6  in 93 so I vaguely remember it other than my family going nuts. 

I knew about the Quebec and Nordiques stuff but not about his Irish ancestry. I still remember him as a rookie in a NESN commercial with Andrew Raycroft driving a zamboni across the Zakim bridge(bridge next to the Garden) and one of them saying 'are you even old enough to drive?' hahaha. Bergie and his frosted tips. Krejci same thing a few years later. Yikes....

11 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

I too was 6  in 93 so I vaguely remember it other than my family going nuts. 

I knew about the Quebec and Nordiques stuff but not about his Irish ancestry. I still remember him as a rookie in a NESN commercial with Andrew Raycroft driving a zamboni across the Zakim bridge(bridge next to the Garden) and one of them saying 'are you even old enough to drive?' hahaha. Bergie and his frosted tips. Krejci same thing a few years later. Yikes....

Ha!

I scoured YouTube looking for this really nice feature by Hockey Night in Canada about him, but I can't find it. It shows how he has "Bergeron-Cleary" etched onto the Cup to honour both of his parents, about his dad's heritage tracing back to Belfast, and what it means to the Irish community of Boston (and Bruin fans) to realize that one of their hockey heroes is really one of their own, considering his family tree.

I know that there are written articles about it out there.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say I've been lurking but I've known about this place ever since I first heard about it when I watched Chris Alaimo's history of NHL '94 about 4 years ago on YouTube on his Classic Gaming Quarterly channel.  I've seen the love you've received in subsequent years from The Hockey News and documentaries, etc.  I've been a follower on Twitter probably for a little over a year now.  

My profile pretty much says everything you need to know.  But to quickly summarize is I'm originally from the NW suburbs of the Twin Cities and I currently live in South Central Wisconsin.  I am an avid NHL fan and have been blogging about my favorite team and hockey in general for 16+ years.  

I remember when I first picked up NHL '94 back when I was in High School.  It was during that crappy time shortly after the North Stars had left for Dallas.  Just seeing Dallas in that game wasn't pleasant.  Then seeing Dallas win the Stanley Cup a few years later was rather bittersweet to say the least.  Whether its right or wrong, I still hate that team immensely.  So when I used to play I used to be Hartford or the Nordiques a lot with the hope those teams would come to Minnesota; plus I love their jerseys and logos.  Pat Verbeek and Geoff Sanderson are machines!  

Then the Wild came along and I was a fan of them even before the announced what their name would be.  Its been mostly a roller coaster ride of mediocrity but it could be worse.  Beyond that, life is treating me well and since I'm the only kid in my house, unless you count my wife...just living the dream.  

• Love 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

@CreaseAndAssistAnother SNES guy, nice!

I played SNES a lot more than Sega Genesis.  Really only in the last 4 years have I been spending more time playing Sega Genesis and most of it (ducking out of the way of something being thrown at me) it isn't for sports games as much as it is for its large collection of high quality shooters.  Now I have NHL '94 on the SNES, Genesis and Sega CD.  The Sega CD one is great, but its a pain in the a%% to set up.  I don't use emulation, all original physical media.  

So for me, my first exposure to NHL '94 was on the Super Nintendo and to be honest, I like that controller so much better than the Genesis one, especially the standard 3-button one.  Triple Deke is a pretty good move; especially for the SNES version.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Big__Valboski here.

I first stumbled across NHL94online in late 2019. After reading about SoChel I finally convinced myself to join. I grew up playing 94 mostly on SNES but had friends who played on Gens, as well. This game was a huge part of my childhood and I am looking forward to regaining and learning new skills!

Fun fact about myself: Born and bred in northern, NJ. Worked 4 years for the New Jersey Devils and had a ton of face-to-face interaction with players, most notables Martin Brodeur, Jaromir Jagr, and Ilya Kovalchuk. My ultimate claim to fame was having lunch with Doc Emrick. He had stories for days. And yes, he converses the same was he commentates.

I'm looking forward to joining the league and getting to know you all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigValboski said:

My ultimate claim to fame was having lunch with Doc Emrick. He had stories for days. And yes, he converses the same was he commentates.

Did you guys eat close to home or was it a BIG DRIVE?!

• Haha 1

Hey everyone,

I grew up with genesis nhl94 and would play it before going to school and as soon as I got home. My friend had 95 for SNES so I'm only recently getting into SNES 94.

Bigvalboski and I go way back with retro games, so he roped me in to get involved in the pre league tourney. It's been really fun and the community seems awesome. I'm excited to try the league, meet everyone here, and hopefully get in some competitive games. Cheers!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I’m 2times I love NHL and I’m really excited to be playing online matches. This is my first circuit. Just recently been playing the Genesis version a lot due to quarantine life. I’m a diehard San Jose Sharks fan. I can’t wait to start playing in some leagues with you guys! I’m so thrilled I found NHL94Online! 

Edited by 2times
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...